International weddings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International weddings.

As I've stated before, I only expect a proposal from Alex 2-5 years down the road provided we make it that long. That being said... I have faith that we will. I really do believe that he and I have a good shot at getting married. The main contenders opposing that thus far are the fact that I'm Christian, he's not, we both have major abandonment issues, and neither of us healed from our previous relationships before getting into this one. ^^;; (not smart, I know)

But I never really seriously considered marriage before I met him. I mean, sure, I knew it was the thing you were supposed to do to start a family, but I always thought I'd have trouble settling for someone. Once Alex and I started talking, though, I started imagining a wedding. ^^; Silly, geeky, or idealistic as it may be I get the feeling that he and I have a good shot at getting married. And I started thinking, "Well, that's great and all, but what about our families?" We'd likely live in Canada but much of my family and friends do not like the cold and I think it'd be easier on all sides if not everyone had to have a passport. Then I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun if we could get married on the border?" So since then I've gotten this idea stuck in my head that, provided I marry him, I want to get married on the border between the US and Canada just so that we can have a neutral zone and our families and friends don't have to worry about passports. lol

Do y'all have any ideas like that? For those of you in international relationships, where do you think you'll get married? Where do you think you'll live?

I'm not sure it'd be legal to get married on the boarder, but that's a cool idea!!

Marriage isn't something I think too much about, and it's not something we like to talk about either, but this problem has crossed my mind.
    I'd like to be married in Australia because it's prettier and warmer, but it's more likely we'll get married in Canada and I'll need to take a loan out to pay for the plane tickets for my family and close friends to be able to attend. (I have no parents, so if we were to get married, everything would be covered by us.) This would be cheaper than flying his friends and family to Australia because there's just so bluddy many of them!
    I don't really want to do a wedding in each country, like some friends of our have done either. And it'd probably work out just as expensive either way.

I guess we could get married on a cruse ship somewhere between Canada and Australia, how awsome would that be?! But pennies wont permit that lol.

I want to bounce between countries a little, but the majority of our lives will be spent in Canada.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

That would be pretty neat! The SO and I's hometowns are about 2 hours apart. (he's currently a few states away bc of the Army) My mom is convinced we are getting married here. His mom has never said anything specific to us and marriage, but often talks about this church near his house that everyone has gotten married in and baptized etc etc. lol Idk what we'll do.

Comment

i like the idea of getting married on the border, cool!

i'm from the philippines and my SO is from india. aside from the distance between our home countries, we also face difference in culture. although we are both Christians but his parents are Hindus, and this put more pressure on us on how the wedding will be like. of course my parents want us to also get married here. we do understand our families but sometimes we wonder if our respective families are really thinking about the consequences of putting so much pressure on us. like what Zephii said, the expenses would be from us. it took us a long time to finally decide on what to do about this. we came to a point where we almost called it off. it was hard. but we also reached the point where we decided to do what the 2 of us think is best for us. we cannot spend our entire fortune for taking 2 different marriage rituals just to please our families.

since both of us believe that marriage is more than just ceremonies, we decided to have a civil wedding in his country. we explored the rules governing "international marriage" and it favored us. we cannot be married through Hindu ceremony which his parents really wanted for us because my SO isn't a Hindu anymore. we need to convert to Hinduism if we wanted to get married the Hindu way, which we really do not want to do. so we are settled of having a civil wedding. on my family's part, i told them that we will no longer hold a formal wedding---gowns and all--- but just a simple celebration of life together. of course we'd still stick to a beach/luau type of celebration.

i'll be moving in India, of course but we are not closing the idea of settling here in the Philippines. my SO once told me that when his business permits, we can settle here so that i wouldn't have a hard time adjusting to his culture.

Comment

I really like that idea. It's really creative, and is such a nice thought for your families.

If I marry him, I think we may have two weddings. One in New Zealand for my family and friends, and one in America for his.

Comment

I don't exactly know about international... But my BF and I are many states apart. I was thinking of having the wedding ceremony in his state and the reception in mine or vice versa.

Comment

well i am not international..but I want to reply!

When we get married, we will get married here...on the mountain that is dubbed "Mark's Mountain"..we say that we are only seperated by the mountain..theorotically and physically...that mountain is a Big part of our relationship...and it would be so ULTIMATE to be married on it...there is a campground on it, called "Hope Campground" kinda neat huh?!?! That is where we will get married...his kids would be here, and he doesn't want one where he is at. His kids are all he cares about...if his friends want to come, they will have to travel here.

Also, I have 2 boys...and so my plans are to have them walk me down the isle..and give me away...and I will be walking down the isle to Mark and I's song. I want to be in a princess wedding dress and he has agreed to be in a prince charming suit. I have the whole thing planned out...just gotta wait for the right time

Comment

My boyfriend and I have talked about it and he wants to get married on the beach in Fiji or Tahiti where as I want to get married on a huge ship or in Alaska, we're still talking about it though as I want my family there (i'm the only girl and it would mean a lot to my dad and I for him to walk me down the aisle) where as he doesn't want his family to even know about the wedding.

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

I'll get married in Finland and move to Finland. I have pretty much no family (a lot less than anyone could imagine ) so neither of those things bother me one bit.

My mum has a passport.. she can fly.. heh

Comment

We'll most likely get married in Finland since Andy's moving here... Funnily though some of my relatives have already planned a big wedding in Wales in a castle, lmao!

I wouldn't mind getting married in Wales tbh, it's so beautiful in there. I don't want to invite too much people so if I'd just invite my family and 3 of my closest friends it wouldn't cost me a fortune to fly them over there. But we haven't really discussed the place and time yet so nothing's for sure! I guess in the end it'll all depend on our budget

Comment

For those of you in international relationships, where do you think you'll get married? Where do you think you'll live?

We are living in Ottawa Canada and getting married at the Rockwater Secret Cove Resort in Halfmoon Bay BC Canada its a 2-3 day elopement- we'll have the ceremony with the cake flowers etc.., wine and dine, take a sailboat ride, get a massage for two, hike and take a gourmet picnic, mountain bike ride, and enjoy the sunny beach at Thormanby, relax in the tenthouse together (which has no television on purpose). Then a honeymoon in Italy,Rome for 7 days at the Aleph, A Boscolo Luxury Hotel with a honeymoon pacakge . We were going to do the wedding also in Italy, but the honeymoon package was given free to us and the hotel offered no wedding packages that were in good budget for us. We'd rather use the money to get our house taken care of ( we are renting a house in Ottawa).

We are having an affordable elopement package wedding basically at $2000 (my dress is simple lace and romantic it's on sale for $400 and was $1,789) and the makeup hair and nails I haven't got that far yet on planning or his outfit yet, the yellow gold diamond wedding ring and band we won in a contest (although I have his mom/granny's pass down ring too) and the honeymoon we won in a contest. We are not doing the family wedding thing because its just to hard to fly family into the resort.

* One thing is certain we are taking a LOT of pictures at both locations!!
                      Last edited by USA2Canada; July 19, 2010, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by folclor View Post
                        For those of you in international relationships, where do you think you'll get married? Where do you think you'll live?
                        My boyfriend and I are open to putting any place on the table, but we're both strongly leaning towards me moving to Australia with him so we're near his family. I love Australia, and I don't really want to live in the US always. Really, our hardest issue has been thinking about the legal aspect versus the spiritual ceremony aspect. We might end up doing the courthouse and then the wedding for our family/friends separately simply because of moving/money logistics. It's all such a pain; and I've got people who I know will want to attend from the US.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Originally posted by folclor View Post
                          Do y'all have any ideas like that? For those of you in international relationships, where do you think you'll get married? Where do you think you'll live?
                          We have talked about it a bit, but we are going to wait till we are in person to discuss it in more detail. As it stands now, we are hoping to have two ceremonies... one in Canada and one in Malaysia (since each of our families can't travel to meet each other due to the currency difference, age or where they might work). It would be cool if we could get married on the boarder but, I don't think there is one between Malaysia and Canada (unless you count the Pacific Ocean). So when you think about it our budget is going to be 50/50 on them plus where ever we decide to have our honeymoon.

As for where we will settle down. We both are fairly open... So after I graduate with my Bachelors of Architecture, I know I am able to move to anywhere in the world to work. We have narrowed it down to either Australia (closer to my gals family) or Canada (where I live).

I've always had a dream of moving to Europe... but the way the world is going right now, it might be best to stay in North America or Oceania
                          "Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be." ~ Anonymous
                          "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." ~ St. Augustine
                          "True love is rare, so when you find it don't let it go just because of a barrier you can't cross". ~ Ray H Wall

Chris and Megan - November 3rd 2009- (Break from June 15- )July 18th 2011.

Comment

We got married in my home country, in the beach where he proposed to me. It was amazing!

Comment

Me and my boyfriend are not in a international relationship. But I live in California and he lives in Texas. And we have no idea where the wedding would me! I would love to have it here because my family is here, but I know that he would want it there. It's so confusing!

Comment

Working...
                              X