about homosexual international unions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

about homosexual international unions

I was wondering if anyone knows a website or anything information for International Homosexual relationship. I see all the threads and links for weddings and engagements and while the international part is about right, the sexuality is different, which may or may not change things completely.

I'm almost sure that these solutions wouldn't work for a homosexual relationship. I'm from Brazil and she's from the USA. Many people here are from the USA and I'm just hoping I can get a link to some place. I visited visajourney.com, but the most I found was the diversity lottery, which doesn't work for me, since I'm in South America.

Well, just been thining about proposing to her and as I like to have things planned ahead of time, I'm just seeing counseling on my possible future rights.
    My blog: A revisit of my most successful LDR. Posting the story of us in chapters.

Unfortunately, with the current political climate of the US, I don't think you have much recourse. Gay marriage currently is being left to the states' discretion, and immigration has to do with the federal government. I don't think the federal government would recognize your marriage as binding even if it were performed in a state where gay marriage was legal, because you have to go through the federal government in order to get a visa to stay in the US.

I'm truly sorry, and I really wish things were different.

Comment

I found a website in case someone searches for information on the same subject: https://www.immigrationequality.org

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I understand what you say, Quixote. It makes complete sense. I'll just keep the above website in my bookmarks and keep on checking and supporting the cause.

I'll also seek for counseling over here, since my country recently started allowing same sex unions. I just wish there was a brazilian website on the subject. Maybe I can look for a lawyer over here? I'm just thinking it's too soon for this, but I want to have information, since eventually I'll have to make this decision.

Oh well.
      My blog: A revisit of my most successful LDR. Posting the story of us in chapters.

Comment

It's never too early to start being prepared for the visa stuff, good on you for getting in there.
        I'm not from either country, so I can't be much help, I just wanted to lend some encouragement.
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I've been through US immigration, and I know for a fact there is no visa which allows same-sex international couples to marry in the US. I've seen the question raised on visajourney before, and there's no option for same-sex couples to go through the K1 or CR1 process like heterosexual couples do. It's sad and unfair, but I think only the federal laws will change when most of the state laws change, which is going to be a looooong process.

I think the best way would be to consult a lawyer in Brazil, and see if it is possible to marry in your country. That of course would probably mean your SO would have to move to Brazil. Unless you can find a non-marriage based visa which will let you enter the US- I know my SO's company is sponsoring one of his colleagues' visa status and green-card approval, so a work-based visa might me an option?

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Oi! eu estudei direito aí no brasil por 7 periodos, meu pai é delegado e minha mae é advogada. entao apesar de eu nao ter me formado eu entendo um pouco sobre leis. hehe

enfim, ate onde li (uniao estavel de casais homossexuais só foi reconhecida qnd eu ja estava na alemanha, entao tive que fazer uma pesquisa no google) o STF reconheceu a uniao homoafetiva

e achei isso:
            https://g1.globo.com/brasil/noticia/...ecretario.html

talvez com um bom advogado voce conseguisse que isso fosse valido nos EUA se voce se mudar pra la, com base na lei brasileira? mas acho que pra conseguir isso seria mais facil se ela fosse pro brasil primeiro, conseguisse o visto ai. e ai voces ja teriam esse papel pra apresentar quando fossem requerer nos EUA, entende? teria possibilidade de ela se mudar pro brasil por 6 meses pelo menos? so pra facilitar o futuro, ja que o brasil ta parecendo ter mais oportunidades pra voces que o USA

---------- Post added at 11:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Originally posted by nicole View Post
            I've been through US immigration, and I know for a fact there is no visa which allows same-sex international couples to marry in the US. I've seen the question raised on visajourney before, and there's no option for same-sex couples to go through the K1 or CR1 process like heterosexual couples do. It's sad and unfair, but I think only the federal laws will change when most of the state laws change, which is going to be a looooong process.

I think the best way would be to consult a lawyer in Brazil, and see if it is possible to marry in your country. That of course would probably mean your SO would have to move to Brazil. Unless you can find a non-marriage based visa which will let you enter the US- I know my SO's company is sponsoring one of his colleagues' visa status and green-card approval, so a work-based visa might me an option?
            Not to marry, but on the link I gave her and the post I wrote in portuguese, in Brazil it would be possible to do it, by that I mean an union that would be recognized by the state and would allow her partner to have a brazilian visa! maybe not without hassle, but it would be possible nonetheless!
            our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

I honestly don't care if we live in the USA or not. Like, it's not a dream to move in there. I'd live anywhere as long as it's with her.

Sobre morar no Brasil, eu vou conversar com ela. A gente ainda não planeja morar juntas, mas hoje ela falou sobre começarmos a conversar sobre eu me mudar pra lá. Ela não tem nem visto de turismo para o Brasil ainda, então acho que é por isso que ela fala em eu morar por um tempo lá.

I ended up finding some links about homosexual union with foreigners and I'll study that so I have something to tell her about. Honestly, her carreer options are more flexible than mine. I mean, I could change jobs and my carreer for her, but it'd be easier for her. I am an English teacher, but unless I studied more over there to become a teacher for natives, I don't think I could pull off having this same carreer over there.

Anyway, I just want to educate myself soon. I kind of let everything for after our first meeting, but it has happened and now that I'm 100% sure, I want to seek counseling.

I'll read the links I found online and apparently our best option is if she moves here for some time.

Obrigada pela ajuda de todos, voltem quando tiverem alguma novidade, por favor.
              Thanks for everyone's help, please come back if you find any news on this subject.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

Originally posted by Engel View Post
              This link makes me feel so much better. I hope she considers this option when time comes.

Comment

Well when the time comes, good luck to you both and I hope the Brazilian laws are a lot less backward then American ones- no-one deserves to be kept apart from their loved-one!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

At least in my country everything is decided by the entire country, so the laws are for the entire country, all the states. It may take longer to get everyone to agree, but when they do, every state is on the same page.

Comment

Originally posted by brazil View Post
                    At least in my country everything is decided by the entire country, so the laws are for the entire country, all the states. It may take longer to get everyone to agree, but when they do, every state is on the same page.
                    I'm by no means a states' rights activist, but I do think it's worth it to put out there that there is a lot of complicated social and legal history behind the semi-autonomy of the states, and in some ways it really works quite effectively. It's a large part of the American ethos.

Comment

Working...
                    X