This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Financing the Wedding

Is it too early for me to be saving for my wedding? When we talk about marriage it's "when we" or "after we're". We went to a wedding this past Saturday (it was amazing to see him again) and we talked about things we wanted/didn't want at our wedding. I admitted to him on our way back that I had started to save for our wedding day. I like to put my money towards something, it helps me save and manage my budget better. His reaction was rather neutral, and I told him I am only saving because I can afford to save. And I don't want my/our parents to go broke paying for this. (If there's something we really want to put more money into, like food or the DJ, we can put in the extra instead of them shelling out more, kind of thing.)

So, do you think it's too early to start saving? Based on our talks, our guest list will end up being over 100 people (maybe 150 people), and we want to have a DJ, sort of an elaborate cake, etc etc. I know it won't end up being an inexpensive wedding, and so I want us to be able to help out as much as we can when the time comes. I guess I should add that we're not engaged yet. Based on his income right now, I don't think we'll be getting engaged in 2012.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

It is never too early to plan ahead. You don't have to put a label on what you are saving for, just save for the future and if a wedding is in the future then have savings for when it happens. I don't think you need justification from us as to weather its okay to start saving, if you want to then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      It is never too early to plan ahead. You don't have to put a label on what you are saving for, just save for the future and if a wedding is in the future then have savings for when it happens. I don't think you need justification from us as to weather its okay to start saving, if you want to then go for it.
      I agree. As long as it's not putting pressure on him to propose before he's ready, which in that case you can just turn it into a "general savings for the future" thing.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that :P I've heard of people saving up since they were in their early teens! Its better to have the money when the time comes than to scramble around and get it together a year before

Comment

I save most of my money. Not necessarily for a wedding, but for whatever might happen in the future. I don't think it's crucial to make a "wedding account" or something, but putting money away is always a good idea.

Comment

While I'm all gung-ho about saving, I think it's presuptuous/pressuring to save specifically for your wedding, especially seeming your SO knows about it. I dunno, something rubs me wrong about that
            It's smart to save though, good to see you're thinking ahead!
            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
              While I'm all gung-ho about saving, I think it's presuptuous/pressuring to save specifically for your wedding, especially seeming your SO knows about it. I dunno, something rubs me wrong about that
              It's smart to save though, good to see you're thinking ahead!
              Yea, I was kind of afraid that I made him nervous that I mentioned I'm saving for our wedding... I don't plan on mentioning it or bringing it up again. I like saving for our future, so maybe I'll start thinking about it that way instead of "for our wedding" but "for our future".

Thanks for the feedback, everyone

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Closing this thread.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Working...
              X