No announcement yet.

Proposing with something other than a ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A ring is the best way, its traditional. but i think the whole idea of being engaged is the guy giving the girl a symbol promising to marry her. it could be a ring, watch, necklace, or a bracelet.
    However being engaged also mean they tell the world that they are ready to get married. so a ring could most probably convey that message to the world far better than a watch, necklace or a bracelet can.
    in my opinion a ring portraits readiness for marriage. a necklace or watch is more of like a promise that is only between the couple. it is a message not clearly communicated to the public as an engagement.

Comment

A ring for me, please! I wear one particular necklace all the time and bracelets too on occasion, but never rings because I decided a long time ago that I didn't want one that wasn't symbolic of being engaged or married

Comment

I like the idea of having a ring to "show" that I am engaged. However, the ring itself doesn't need to be anything much. Case in point, I asked my SO not to get me one made of gold, let alone with a diamond or precious stone. So we went to this store and picked a (rather cheap) silver ring with a rose designed on it. He liked it, I liked it, that was enough for me.

I view engagement rings as temprary anyway (I wouldn't wear mine after we get married), and wedding rings are more important, so I didn't want him to spend hundreds of euros on a gold/diamond ring when that money could be more useful for us to spend when we eventually live together. The ring I got him was silver, too. Very nice, but not too fancy.
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

For me it's a defineatly got to be a ring. I wouldn't want anything else. It's tradition, and it's a ring there for a reason! The Egyptians used to believe that the main vein to your heart ran from your ring figner, hence why it became the ring finger. I wouldn't want to show off our engagement in any other way other than a ring, and the same goes for the wedding ring. I like tradition, and I like the meaning. So for me, only a ring would do. It be quite disappointed if Thomas proposed to me with a watch or a necklace or any other item. I'd be like, Ummm.. are you proposing or is this an early birthday present??

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post

(PS: It's not my business really, but they haven't been dating for long, have they? I'd say definite cop out!)
            They've only known each other since late January. I'm doing my best to not be judgmental. It's hard. I guess when you know, you know...

Comment

I feel like I would be more inclined to accept something other then a ring since I don't wear rings ever, but at the same time I also don't wear jewelry other then sometimes earrings. I think I'd have to go with a ring, I'm sure I'd learn to wear one and I don't think I'd be as wowed if he got down on one knee with a watch.

Comment

Originally posted by ChibiFelicia View Post
                For me an engagement watch just wouldnt work. Being chinese recieving a watch is a huge no no (being cantonese it sounds like you're sending me to a funeral, plus its like you're putting a time limit on the relationship) I'd never want a time piece of any kind from my man. That and being a nurse i cant wear watches unless it's a fob watch but i always buy them my self.
                It's the same in Poland. Giving a watch means the friendship is going to end, so you really shouldn't give people watches.
                (It's knives in Germany, because they 'cut' your friendship). So yeah an engagement watch would probably be even considered offensive. My mum's a nurse as well and they have a stricht no-ring-rule at her work for hygenic reasons.

Upon closder consideration I don't think I would be happy with an engagement-anything that wasn't a ring. I'd feel like my boyfriend was trying to make me shut up with an expensive present, without actual committment. But then imho getting engaged when you're not immediately planning a wedding is pretty silly anyway.

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                They've only known each other since late January. I'm doing my best to not be judgmental. It's hard. I guess when you know, you know...
                Oh Jeezus... I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut as well. But then, it's not up to me to judge, so whatever...

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

My boy had better give me a ring. I have gotten plenty of watch from my friends and even a few ex so no, I don't want a watch, an earring, a necklace or a bracelet. I want a ring, its either a ring or nothing at all. But....... if he's gonna give me something then it had better be a ring.

Comment

In Chinese culture, we're not supposed to give watches or clocks as gifts. I was going to try to explain it, but I googled Chinese taboos and found this:
                    The Chinese word “钟 zhong”(clock) has the same pronunciation as the word “终zhong” (end). And giving a clock as a gift (送钟 song zhong) sounds like being present at the bedside when a person takes his last breath (送终 song zhong). So don’t ever give a Chinese a clock, even if it’s a really nice one.

I might have to make sure my boyfriend knows about this...:P
                    I really like the idea of the ring as a symbolism of never ending commitment, so for that reason I would prefer to have a ring. If it had to be jewelry I would pick a sturdy pair of non-stud earrings that I never have to take off.

Comment

If my SO proposed with anything other than a ring, I would be disappointed. I don't need anything spectacular. In fact, I don't want anything too expensive - I would be afraid to wear it! In our culture, the engagement ring shows the world of the intention to marry. That symbolism is important to me.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                      Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                      Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                      Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                      Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I'm all for what the individual wants, if they want a ring,watch,horse or packet of nerds as a gesture then i say go for it.

I was (half arsed) proposed to by my ex without a ring and i didnt care, i did get one a month or so later when he asked me to pick one (i picked a £40 ring, i have cheap taste!)

I asked my SO to marry me (before we actually met) without a ring, he doesnt like/wear them then on our anniversary (after we met) he asked me to marry him (over the phone) without a ring and again i didnt care. I wear a ring i bought for myself 13 years ago (cost £5) because it gives me something to flash at people who bug me.

In short, you can propose to me with anything, i dont care. The asking is more than enough for me.
                        As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I find rings to be tedious. I get irritated by jewellery on my fingers. I'd rather a bracelet or a necklace or not to get engaged in the first place. I've been married twice so I'm not really keen on doing it a third time.

Comment

I definitely want a ring to symbolize our engagement... but I don't necessarily need one at the actual time of the proposal... although it would be preferred

Comment

I want a ring! but again- I LOVE rings!

Comment

Working...
                              X