No announcement yet.

"The most relaxed wedding ever"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That really disgusts me that people think that. Screw them. I'm pissed too now! Maybe you could try asking on Visa Journey so that people are more international-relationship-friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
      That really disgusts me that people think that. Screw them. I'm pissed too now! Maybe you could try asking on Visa Journey so that people are more international-relationship-friendly.
      The problem is, most people are not prenup friendly. When I ask about it, I get an automatic cold shoulder because so many people don't like them. It's almost like I'm saying "I want to protect my money from this thieving bastard who I don't actually like at all and the whole marriage is a ploy and I don't plan on it to last" I know some people won't sign them and that's cool, but it's the right decision for us. So can't I just get some info without being lectured? (obviously not directed towards you guys!)

Anyways, someone recommended I use legal zoom the website. They quoted a prenup for $700!!! Does that seem right? So freaking expensive...!

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
        Anyways, someone recommended I use legal zoom the website. They quoted a prenup for $700!!! Does that seem right? So freaking expensive...!
        If people are so against prenups then they don't have use them! Why do they care if you do?! I for one, think it's the smartest thing to do...but that was another thread a long time ago, huh?

I think if the "legit" online ones are THAT expensive then it's worth checking out some lawyers in the States. Although...just to add another monkey wrench into your equation: when I talked to my lawyer about prenups, he said that it is preferable, and almost necessary, that there are 2 lawyers involved-- your lawyer and your future spouse's lawyer. One lawyer draws it up with his/her client and the other one reviews it with his/her client before they sign. That way, the one spouse can't later claim that they didn't fully understand what they were agreeing to, etc.

Comment

EEK!!! This is awesome!! I'm so excited for you. And I remember when you were all scared of commitment haha
          Ha ha ha, I was just thinking about that, too. Congratulations, Lucybelle! How exciting!
          My heart belongs to a pilot!
          ~*~
          ~*~
          [/center]

Comment

^ What she said about the two attorneys...

But congratulations Sounds like it will be a lot of fun and a great surprise for everyone!

Comment

If people are so against prenups then they don't have use them! Why do they care if you do?! I for one, think it's the smartest thing to do...but that was another thread a long time ago, huh?

I think if the "legit" online ones are THAT expensive then it's worth checking out some lawyers in the States. Although...just to add another monkey wrench into your equation: when I talked to my lawyer about prenups, he said that it is preferable, and almost necessary, that there are 2 lawyers involved-- your lawyer and your future spouse's lawyer. One lawyer draws it up with his/her client and the other one reviews it with his/her client before they sign. That way, the one spouse can't later claim that they didn't fully understand what they were agreeing to, etc.
              Yeah I've heard about that too. I was even suggested to have a translator for my SO (even though his English is almost perfect). It's just weird because I'm sort of like "nah I don't need an extra lawyer, he wouldn't fight it" but then I think "isn't that why I'm doing this to begin with? to be careful?" I guess if we're going to get a prenup, it's better to get it done the right way. Even if it's expensive! Hopefully we'll never have to use it

Comment

$700 seems like an average amount for a prenup. You have to remember, most attorneys charge by the hour, and I would assume any decent attorney charges anywhere from $300-$500 an hour (depending on location). If you go to an attorney who specializes in this type of law, they will have standard forms that decrease the amount of time they will charge you - but they may also charge you for the form as an "expense". Now, I'm not in anyway qualified to give legal advice, but I do work in the field and am familiar with the billing practices. It may cost more money up front, but in the long run - if you actually need to use the prenup in the future - it may be beneficial to consult with an attorney in the state where you will be married. You don't have to actually be there in person either. Most attorneys are pretty tech savy and are willing to video conference with you for consult - as long as you're paying by the hour. Check out some credentialed web-sites, such as https://www.superlawyers.com/ to find a peer-reviewed qualified attorney.
                *Our World of Warcraft Love Story*

Comment

Thanks Michia!! Great info!

Comment

I have no idea what a prenup even is, but just thought I'd stop by and say YAY! I can see the difference between this and the post where you were panicking like mad XD And the wedding sounds just like you, it's awesome I'm happy for you

Comment

Woman i am so glad i came on here!! So happy for you!!!
                      NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Oh jeez, I guess I can expect that kind of response as well seeing as I´m with a Mexican, and I will most definitely be helping him with getting his Canadian papers when his school visa runs out :S I honestly don´t understand why people are like that.

But what I really wanted to say was: ZOMG!!!! ENHORABUENA LUCY!!! Ahhh I´m so happy to hear that, quiero los dos muchisimo :3 Also, I love your offbeat wedding plans. I think they suit you very well

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
                        -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
                        \

Comment

Yay! Congrats
                          sigpic
                          Not to get clever
                          but with you I see forever
                          But whatever it is,
                          Here's to you,
                          I Love You Kid...

Comment