What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think?

Mine and my SO's wedding is taking place exactly one year today, and we're having a love letter box ceremony. We open the box once a year every year from now on, write a new letter to put in the box, whilst reading the previous year's letter. Of all the crap things which come with an LDR, I'm glad we get to keep the love letter tradition up!

Sooooo today I am writing the first letter, which I will open and read to my SO at our wedding instead of saying the normal wedding vows. It is very important! Naturally I am freaking out! I've sort of finished, but what do you guys think?

" A, I love you so much, and I am so happy to be standing here with you today. I won't say how amazing it is, how that it's unbelievable that we've made it this far, because ever since I first met you, I knew you would be a very precious person to me, and that I would do anything to keep you in my life.

We had a hard beginning, being separated so early on in our relationship; thank you so much for waiting for me! It was so difficult and heart-wrenching at times, but I'd go through it all again to get back to you once more. I hope if I ever get annoyed or angry, that I will look back at the days when all I had of you was an image on a computer screen and remember how lucky I am now to have you here, so I can beat you up in person!

You are amazing, hilarious, generous, loyal and kind; I am so privileged and honored to be able to call myself your wife. I promise to love you and value our friendship always. I look forward to our lives together, our successes, our losses, our adventures together and our family. Thank you for everything you have brought into my life, and thank you for everything you will continue to bring.

A, I take you here today to be my lifetime partner, knowing with all my heart that you will be my constant best friend, my 42 and my one true love"

=/ my brain sort of exploded on the page.... does it all make sense? "42" is a hitchhikers guide to the galaxy reference- it's the answer to the meaning of life. We always say "You're my 42" to each other Maaaan I have to write this all out all nice and big so I can read it on my wedding day!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Aw how lovely, I don't think I'd be able to read something as pretty as that out without being in floods of tears

"A thousand miles seems pretty far, but they got planes and trains and cars, I'd walk to you if I had no other way"

First visit 23/08/2012 - 05/09/2012
    Second visit scheduled May 2013
    Ended relationship August 2013

Comment

This is such a cute idea! Your letter is beautiful

Comment

That's a great idea! I love how personal you're making it. Your letter is so sweet!
        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
        Made it official: September 17, 2010
        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
        Got married: November 21, 2012
        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

LOVE the idea! Your letter is absolutely gorgeous. I think it's perfect and from the heart.

PS- I totally got the 42 reference Don't forget your towel!

Comment

Agree with the other posters, that letter is really cute and it made me giggle here and there But yeah, don't know if I could read that without crying It's beautiful!

Comment

Thank you all so much! I hope I can read it next year, I'm still shaking from writing it out. I'm probably going to bawl reading this out aren't I? lol

Comment

What a great idea That made me teary... haha, I agree with everyone else, I'd be crying reading that outloud :P
                Read my LDR story!
                Facebook
                Instagram

Comment

That letter is so sweet I think a have diabetes now. (haha, jk.)

And don't panic! If you think you'll be crying while reading yours... have a box of tissues ready when he reads his to you! I already know that I will be crying on my wedding day because I'll be so excited/happy/etc, I bet if we did something like that I would just fall apart! I love the idea though, and good luck reading it out loud! PS Yay! 365 days until you're a married lady!!

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                  Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                  Progress: Working on it.

Comment

the amount of love expressed in that letter is so high it made me cry...

it is indeed a lovely idea. it is great also because some people have troubles writing down their vows right before their wedding, and you just have it all covered.

I don't wish you luck on your marriage... I wish you success!!

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

This is great I don't think there's anything you missed or anything you could add to make it even better. It's really touching! Such a unique idea too, good on you.
                      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

daaaaw thank you guys! I'm glad my ramblings made sense! The letter is all locked up in the box to be opened in 364 days

It was like pulling teeth getting him to write his! He normally screens all of his calls, but funnily enough yesterday, when he was SUPPOSED to be writing his letter, he felt awfully chatty and answered all his phone calls I finally locked myself in our bedroom with a book and refused to open it till they were done. I got a good solid 3 hours reading and he was finished!

The next letter I write for the box will be the morning of my wedding... better do that BEFORE my make-up is done!

Comment

Oh. My. Gosh. I absolutely LOVE this idea!!! GAH!!! That's it. Forget formal wedding vows. I'm doing this!!! O_O I freaking love that idea. I'm not so much a traditionalist when it comes to things of the heart. I love things that are creative and different. And I think weddings should be different! Shaped by the couple, not the tradition.

Ugh. This was too cute. I absolutely loved this idea. XD Thank you. I'm showing my SO this thread later today.

Comment

This is beautiful! And I love the idea of making it a yearly tradition. What a wonderful way to document your relationship over time.

All the best to you and your fiance, now and in the future!

Comment

Working...
                            X