Question about marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about marriage

I'm curious about some facts in marriages.

1. After you get married can you keep your last name and change it later? or do you have to change your name right away?

2. What's your opinion on secret weddings? Yes or no?

3. Is it ok to move away right after your married?
    Last edited by Keyk; August 19, 2012, 06:30 PM. Reason: added another question :)

I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you want. It's up to you if you want to change your last name at all, and if you do when you want to do it. Some people do it immediately, but I've heard of others waiting years to do it (maybe until they had kids). Personally I would want to change my name ASAP!

As for keeping weddings a secret, I don't think I could do it. I love weddings, and I love my SO so if (when) we get married I'm going to be shouting from the rooftops! However, I understand why some people like the privacy and intimacy of a private ceremony.

I know some couples marry and then are forced to be LD again. If that's what you mean then if both people are up to it, yes it's fine. If you mean is it okay to move in together away from both of your families, well that's also up to you.

When we become adults we pretty much get free reign on what we want to do
    Last edited by Kristin91; August 20, 2012, 09:08 AM. Reason: I answered your two other questions

sigpic

Comment

You can do it whenever you want, if you want to. Personally, I am not changing my name. My mother didn't change hers and it's less common in my culture, so I didn't see the need for it. His mom didn't change hers either, but said that it bothers her sometimes when people assume they are not married, just living together. People have different views of it, and in the US it is completely up to you what you do with your name.

Comment

Like the others said, it's up to you.

You can even change your last name without being married, if you wish to
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
          Like the others said, it's up to you.

You can even change your last name without being married, if you wish to
          I guess you have a point there...

Comment

Like others have said- you can change your name whenever you want, you don't have to be married to do it. I'm not changing my last name, it's not expected in my SO's culture and I never wanted to.

Secret weddings? Is there a good reason for it?

What do you mean by move away? Move in together?

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
              Secret weddings? Is there a good reason for it?

What do you mean by move away? Move in together?
              moving away from each other. secret weddings for those maybe secretly in love or eloping?

do people even still elope nowadays?

Comment

Of course people elope.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                  Of course people elope.
                  Just wondering if people still do that kind of stuff in this day and age

Comment

I'm not sure personally if I want to change my name or not. I like my last name but at the same time it would be nice to have the same name as my husband
                    Basically it is entirely up to you!

A wedding is a big committment and to me keeping it a secret... I don't know it's just something I don't think one should do. A marriage is something one should stand up for and not to hide away (extreme cases excluded). If someone can't do that, then they're probably not ready for it. But that's just my opinion. Do you feel like you need to secretly get married?

Anything is possible

You seem very young judging by your questions. May I ask how old you are?

Comment

1) Since I was stuck through immigration, I couldn't change mine right away, and it drove me insane! I had to wait for my work permit to come through with my married name on it to change it at social security- 6 months later. If you don't change it right away, I think some States say you need a court order to change it- if it is years after marriage I think. But you can just look at the laws in your state to clear that up.

2) Mine and my SO's is a sort of secret. Our parents and families know, but the rest of the world doesn't. Why? Because we had to go through crappy immigration. I didn't get to have the wedding I wanted. We're having the wedding we always wanted next year, then we'll go public. I just didn't want any more taken away from us. Jumped through too many hoops, to us the marriage ceremony and wedding are two different things.

Plenty of people elope and then announce it afterwards. Don't want the drama or the hassle of a big wedding. I know one of my friends is painfully shy and doesn't want to say her vows in front of all her guests for fear of fainting. It's ok to do what you want to do.

3) I moved right before, seeing as we were on different continents and all. But I don't see the problem with moving no.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

1. After you get married can you keep your last name and change it later? or do you have to change your name right away?

As everyone else has said, you can change your last name whenever you want. My sister changed hers for their 1st anniversary. It's up to you what you want to be called.

I don't see any point in keeping your marriage a secret even if you are eloping. Why would you keep something a secret that is so good? I agree with Kiyama. I mean unless something really bad is going to happen to you because you got married, I don't see any point in keeping it a secret?

I think it's fine to move away after you're married. As far as moving away from each other, sometimes there are circumstances that keep you away from each other. My fiance and I could be separated for up to 3 months so that the UK can decide on whether or not I can live there. It all depends on circumstances.
                        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                        Made it official: September 17, 2010
                        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                        Got married: November 21, 2012
                        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

been answered extensively already

I personally wouldnt want to keep my wedding a secret. Im getting married next week at the city hall and its not exactly a secret but only his parents and friends will be there. We're holding a big wedding in a couple years after visa stuffs thats when we'll be making inviting everyone. All my friends and family know that this time round its really for my visa. If we were in the same country i think we'd wait till we had the money but ohwell.

Well i really dont want to do it but i will have to go back to the uk to wait out the visa process right after we get married. It sucks but we have the rest of our lives to be together as cheesy as that sounds so its ok lol

Comment

Working...
                          X