What's next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's next?

Everyone (okay not everyone, some people) looks forward to getting engaged and married. But after that, what's next? What's the next exciting thing to happen?

I'm excited about getting married, but at the same time I'm sort of like... but then what's the next thing to be excited about? My life will basically still be the same, but without this sort of giddy excited feeling.

(please don't say kids, because if that's the only other good thing to happen in my life I'd be really upset!)

wanting to make life better together as a couple
    a better paying job
    planning how to go on mini honeymoons at least once a year :P

thats what my mind can think for now :P hehe

Comment

Adventures Traveling the world with my husband; just thinking about it makes me excited! I'm more excited about planning the honeymoon and other holidays then I am the wedding lol

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Graduation (for me), moving to a new country, your visa process--not exciting but you'll be thinking about it all day long. Everytime you find a new shared interest it's going to be an exciting time. And like Nicole said, adventures! Lots and lots of them. (:

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
          Adventures Traveling the world with my husband; just thinking about it makes me excited! I'm more excited about planning the honeymoon and other holidays then I am the wedding lol
          That. I do actually want kids, but I want to do a lot of travelling before that. Sight seeing is not exactly something you can do with little kids.

You're going to plan moving back to the states?

Buying a house/appartment?

Basically the same things you were excited about when you weren't planning a wedding

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Making babies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
              Making babies!!!
              or at least practicing

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

But those are all things we already do now. We go on little vacations and trips all the time.

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                Making babies!!!

---------- Post added at 01:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

or at least practicing
                Amen to that!

Comment

or at least practicing
                  I lol'd. Good answer!

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

or at least practicing
                    Very true! If you don't practice they might come out all disproportioned! Don't want a mutant baby!

Comment

As for me, who's already been married for almost a year and a half, still have a lot of things to look forward to.
                      First of all, we still need to close the distance, I can't wait to graduate university and thinking about buying a house and setting up our lives more permanently makes me giddy XD
                      Of course, even though you don't want me to say it, but for us kids is also a thing we look very much forward to and unlike a wedding, it's not just a one-day experience. XD
                      Then I still have a lot places in the world I want to visit

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        Everyone (okay not everyone, some people) looks forward to getting engaged and married. But after that, what's next? What's the next exciting thing to happen?

I'm excited about getting married, but at the same time I'm sort of like... but then what's the next thing to be excited about? My life will basically still be the same, but without this sort of giddy excited feeling.

(please don't say kids, because if that's the only other good thing to happen in my life I'd be really upset!)
                        I think this is a great post. Especially for those really young rush-right-in types (no, not targeting anyone with this comment! Not looking to fight lol).

I think that marriage is often a transition between the younger time in your life with a lot to celebrate, milestone birthdays come close together at this point (Sweet 16, 18, and 21st), There's some kind of graduation ball, you move out of home for the first time, get your first car and all that shit... then you get engaged and married and... then it's all over for you! Yeah, you'll have kids at some point, but that's really a nail in the coffin, because at the point you fall pregnant, NOTHING is about you ever again.

With that said, marriage for me was primarily about being able to have socially acceptable children.

The only other big milestone we're looking forward to is buying our first home together, and that's exciting because it's a few years off.
                        Oh and moving countries again - those plans kind of divide up our parenting years in manageable chunks. Haha.

Aside from that, at some point I'll get a career, and no doubt I'll be excited about that. It's probably not the kind of excitement where I can buy a fancy dress and treat 40 of my best mates to a three-course dinner, but it'll be exciting none the less.

ETA: And of course there's travel! Obi and I only discovered travel on our honeymoon, we didn't know how much we liked it before then. We're determined not to let having minions stop us living our lives, but I bet all new parents say that and fail, so we'll see!
                        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

With all due respect, some of us don't want kids and there's nothing wrong with that! Once you get married, everyone assumes that children are the next step, or any step at all. I've had so many people ask about it since we got married, and lately I've just been being honest. Some people are supportive but many more are patronizing. I guess I feel the need to be honest to raise awareness or something. I know that sounds kind of silly, maybe. :P But heck, why not? I'm just super lucky to have ended up with a guy who feels the same way about it.

We got married in April and it's just gotten more fun from there. We can't really afford big travel plans in the near future, but we recently took a day trip and went caving. It was really fun! We plan to see more caverns in our area, and we also plan to do some hiking nearby as well. I think for us the next "really big things" will be travel back home to Russia and other places, possible career stuff, and just those sweet, day-to-day moments that bring so much joy. Actually, I think the little moments in life are under-rated. Too many of us focus on what the "next big thing" is instead of enjoying those little moments. They're so simple, yet so important and precious.
                          Last edited by SquishyLove; September 16, 2012, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SquishyLove View Post
                            Actually, I think the little moments in life are under-rated. Too many of us focus on what the "next big thing" is instead of enjoying those little moments. They're so simple, yet so important and precious.
                            I really liked that

And although we haven't decided 100% yet on kids, we are leaning towards kid-less

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                              I really liked that

And although we haven't decided 100% yet on kids, we are leaning towards kid-less
                              I just edited my post and accidentally erased the part where I asked you about the kids thing when I was trying to change the wording of one of my sentences. :P I won't try to sway you either way, but I will say that me and my husband are really happy with our choice not to have kids. For our personalities, it works better. We enjoy having a lot of silence and time to pursue hobbies. We like being spontaneous about our day to day lives, too. We like the fact that if we want, we can live in this little one bedroom for years and years and sock away all our extra money for later. We can pick up and move somewhere without considering schools in the area. We don't have to schedule intimacy and sex. If either of us wants, we could even go back to school to further our educations and it wouldn't be a problem. We feel like we made the right choice for us, and what fits with the kind of life we want to have. To both of us, the potential benefits of parenthood aren't even things we need in order to feel complete. We are deeply and madly in love with each other, and we like to spoil each other completely. For both of us, it's enough. I've dealt with some negativity because of it, but hey, the naysayers wouldn't be there to feed, clothe, and love this hypothetical child they think should be brought into existence so mostly I just chalk it up to ignorance and also maybe a little bit of being shocked that not everyone wants the same things or wants to take the same path.

Comment

Working...
                              X