Geeze louise! Expensive rings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geeze louise! Expensive rings!

After being sort of a jerk the first time we went ring shopping, my SO took me again yesterday. Because it was Sunday, almost everything was closed but we did get to go to one very small jewelry place. And the prices were INSANE. I saw a nice tri-colored gold ring that was kind of funky and very pretty-- $1100!!!

In a place where the average salary is $700/month, that's freaking crazy! The same ring wouldn't cost more than $400 in the USA (probably more like $300). The only ring that was affordable that we found was made out of silver and had a very small (FAKE) pearl in it. It was $250.

So now I'm sort of worried. There's no way in the world I want to spend so much money on a ring. I thought about buying rings online, having them shipped to my mom in the USA, and then she can bring them to Colorado so we can get married with them. But, we wouldn't be able to try them on, etc. As some of you know, mail here is super unreliable and there's absolutely no way in the world I would want anything of value coming to me via mail. Plus, I want my SO to propose to me with the ring and if we did this online thing it wouldn't work out.

Any ideas? Opinions?

I was going to suggest online....Could you find out your size and order online? He could propose with a ring pop?

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
      I was going to suggest online....Could you find out your size and order online? He could propose with a ring pop?
      No ring pops in Costa Rica. I'm not really into that whole shtick anyways...

But yeah, I guess he could propose with any ring (I already have 4) and we'll just buy online. Stupid country...

Comment

Were you looking for wedding rings or engagement ones? Could you find a cheap one for the proposal?

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
          Were you looking for wedding rings or engagement ones? Could you find a cheap one for the proposal?
          Just one ring that would be used for both. I don't want both an engagement and wedding ring, it seems silly to me. I just want a nice ring that he can propose with, and we'll be married with. It doesn't need to have the "look" of an engagement or wedding ring. Just a pretty ring. I guess he could get like a $5 thing for a proposal then give me the actual one later...

Comment

I think that your best option is to buy online. Our mail situation is similar and it really sucks but what can you do! For our engagement here's what we did: we picked out the rings online and I took my best educated guess at my ring size. My mom then brought them to Bamako when she came for our religious wedding ceremony. The night before the ceremony, he took me out on a drive and we went to a park and there he proposed to me, doing the whole cheesy speech and all. And it still felt really special because it was just this private, secret moment between us amidst all the chaos of a wedding.

So you guys could do something similar...like you could find a quiet time that is just you 2 once you're in Colorado for him to "propose".

Comment

You know, that's a really nice idea. We plan to stay in this train for 2 nights. The first night is the night before we get married. So better late than never I suppose

Comment

Working...
              X