Wedding Vows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Vows

For the past few weeks i have been thinking about wedding vows. Me and my SO had decided a while ago that we wanted to write our own because it means a lot to us to have personal ones.

Are you/Did you write your own vows? What will they/did they say? Your opinions?

Im just curious and think it would be interesting to read a few

I dont' think I'll write my own. I'm not really creative enough.

Comment

I can see myself writing my own vows but I don't think my SO would want to. He isn't very creative and not always good at expressing himself.

Comment

Mine are on here somewhere- we wrote letters, then locked them away to read during the ceremony. I'm probably going to bawl

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't think writing/reading vows is even a tradition in Finland O_o I/we haven't thought about it at all, really.. but I guess it would be nice to say a few words from the heart I wouldn't want to read a vow that I hadn't written myself.. so what if it's boring, at least it's coming from me

Edit. Just to add, like Nicole said, I'm probably gonna cry my eyes out XD

Comment

We wrote our own vows. We just sent them over to a friend to make sure they're pretty much not completely out of sync with each other :P Since we won't know what each other said 'til the day of. My friend said that when she read his she teared up. Great - I'm going to be a crying mess next Saturday. Somebody get me some Xanax! lol

Met: November 19, 2010
            Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
            Made it official: April 29, 2011
            Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
            Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
            Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
            K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
            Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
            Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

I think writing your own vows is so romantic! I think it's a great way to add a personal touch to the wedding. I would definitely cry.

I'm not going to do it though. I plan to get married in a Catholic ceremony. Every Catholic ceremony uses the same vows. That's important to me because of my faith. But I love it when other people write their own vows

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
              Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
              Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
              Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
              Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I love the idea of writing vows! I would like to write my own, but I doubt my SO will because he has such a hard time putting thoughts into words.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

I hadn't even thought about this until my SO one day says "so do we have to write our own vows?"

Holy shit I forgot! I'm awful at weddings... jaja

But anyways, to answer your question I'm hoping the celebrant we have will do most of the talking. Although maybe I should discuss this with the SO...

Comment

Vows are a bit different in Australia - they are a legal component of the ceremony, so like, you know how on youtube you see couples rambling on about why they love each other and such? Yeah, we can't do that here, it's against the rules. We also weren't given the option of having vows that didn't match (though that might have been a quirk of the celebrant?). It needed to be a specific promise, and we both had to say it for it to be legal (With names and titles switched of course). Obi picked examples of what he liked from a booklet, and I wrote our vows in a similar style (I have a lot of experience writing rituals, being Wiccan and all )
                    Here they are:

I call on these persons here present to witness that I Zephii,
                    in the name of the spirit of the Goddess that resides within us all,
                    by the life that courses within my blood and the love that resides within my heart,
                    take thee Obi to my hand, my heart and my spirit, to be my lawfully wedded husband.
                    To desire thee and be desired by thee, to possess thee and be possessed by thee,
                    in complete honesty without sin or shame, for naught can exist in the purity of my love for thee.
                    I promise to love thee wholly and completely without restraint, in sickness and in health,
                    in plenty and in poverty, for better or for worse, in this life and beyond,
                    where we shall meet, remember and love again.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Zephii, that was incredible! I really like your vows.
                      I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Captivated View Post
                        We wrote our own vows. We just sent them over to a friend to make sure they're pretty much not completely out of sync with each other :P Since we won't know what each other said 'til the day of. My friend said that when she read his she teared up. Great - I'm going to be a crying mess next Saturday. Somebody get me some Xanax! lol
                        So exciting!
                        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I think it's a very sweet idea, and I do love to hear what other couples come up with I doubt either me or my SO would want to write our actual vows, but I wouldn't rule out putting together a short speech of some sort to read at the reception!

Comment

I'd like to write my own, but I know my SO won't want to (he is always saying that I'm better with words than he is). But at the same time, I really want to read the "traditional" vows. Based on our conversations, our wedding day may not be super traditional, but we still want to have some elements of the "traditional" wedding ceremony.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

We won't really get the opportunity to write/read our own vows in the quick little ceremony we're having, but I read in some news article somewhere (maybe even linked to on this site?) about a tradition in some country where couples write letters to each other just before they get married - when, in theory, they're the most in love - and keep them in case they ever run into tough relationship times in the future. Idea is to break out the letters, read them, and remember why you fell in love and got married in the first place. I love this idea, and it'll make up for the fact we don't get the chance to have our own vows.

Comment

Working...
                              X