This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost my ring

Not one of my brightest moments. I went to the beach and the sea was really agitated. I didn't go swimming, just stood on the shore and let the big waves break around my legs. It was all fun and I fell down a couple of times, and then at some point my engagement ring fell off my finger. I didn't think to take it off before going in because it usually fits pretty tight. And since it was a pebble beach and the current was very strong, I didn't even think of looking for it. It's gone. I guess I should be thankful that we went for silver, because it would have been a bigger financial loss if our rings were gold or platinum, but I get what people say about sentimental value. I loved that ring. I was recently thinking that I can't even feel it around my finger anymore, I'm so used to it.

I'm really gutted over this, but my aim with this thread isn't to attract sympathy

I want advice. Should I get it replaced? My SO said we could get a new, nicer one. He says nicer because we grabbed the first ring that caught our attention and then moved on to the next store for his, and found they had a better selection there, but it was too late. I never regretted that, though.

We're getting married fairly soon so I will have my wedding band to wear on that finger. So the rational side of me is telling me to just forget about the engagement ring. It's not like I'd get as attached to it as I did the first one; it'll forever be a replacement ring.

But at the same time, I am tempted. For no real reason.

What would you do?
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

I wouldn't get a new engagement ring. But then again, I think having to buy/wear two rings is silly to begin with.

Comment

First of all.. Yikes! I would die if one day I lost my engagement/wedding ring D: You seem to be handling it pretty well

If I were you, I don't think I'd get a new engagement ring, especially if I wasn't going to wear it with the wedding ring. I don't think I'd mind getting a new one though, but there's not much point, and for me, it wouldn't be the same as the one I lost.. the new one would be just to replace the one I lost, and it wouldn't have the same sentimental value, I suppose.

I don't know, what a pickle :s

Comment

ugh...that has to be so hard...to lose something like that...i would feel horrible...even though i don' tget an engagement ring...being a fella...lol...but still

Comment

I don't suppose you had insurance on it? My house was robbed when I was little and they took my parents wedding rings but they were covered by insurance so they got them replaced no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by D.4C View Post
            even though i don' tget an engagement ring...being a fella...lol...but still
            You don't? I got my man an engagement ring when he got me mine (there was no proposal or anything). Maybe it's customary in his country and mine, but not anywhere else?
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
              I don't suppose you had insurance on it? My house was robbed when I was little and they took my parents wedding rings but they were covered by insurance so they got them replaced no charge.
              Oh no, nothing like that. It was pretty cheap. As I said, it's all about the emotional value.

Comment

Nooo! What a bummer. I'd be really upset, too.

I think you might be better off just waiting for the wedding rings. Save yourself some money. Like you said, it will always be a "replacement" ring-- not the real thing. So I really don't think that's worth it. Besides, later on when you've moved on from it you can tell your grandkids that funny story about the time you lost your engagement ring in the ocean. :P
                Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
                Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
                Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Lucybelle: Yeah, I think wearing the two rings together is a bit cumbersome, though it's all down to personal preference.

Elina: that makes sense, yeah.

On the other hand, I remember now that my mother lost her wedding ring at some point, when I was a kid. It was rather thick and yellow gold and she said it wasn't that nice, so maybe she did it on purpose? My father bought her a new one, white gold and finer, and she says she got used to it pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                    On the other hand, I remember now that my mother lost her wedding ring at some point, when I was a kid. It was rather thick and yellow gold and she said it wasn't that nice, so maybe she did it on purpose? My father bought her a new one, white gold and finer, and she says she got used to it pretty quickly.
                    Honestly, I think you would learn to love the new ring. It still represents your relationship and commitment to each other. And it'll be fun to pick out something you really love. I just said "no" at first because I personally don't want two rings. But if you're a two ring type of gal then go for it!

Comment

I would get another one. It would be nice for you two to find something nice together. Plus it will still represent your love and commitment to each other all the same. I understand its not like having the first but its still nice and I'm sure you'll learn to love it. I like the idea of wearing both rings when I get married. I mean, its gonna be a beautiful ring and cost money... whats the point if you're never gonna wear it?

Comment

Personally I'd be devastated if I lost my engagement ring, but then I am fairly traditional and feel a connection to the symbolism of the two rings and the idea behind them. I would want to replace it if it were me, but I think it really comes down to what YOU want. If you don't feel like you'd be happy with the new ring, then don't get one, but if you feel like you'd be missing something by not having it, then go for it and get something you really like! Good luck!
                        Jacob&Heather

Met: June 2019
                        Dating: December 2019
                        First Meeting: April 2020 (Coming soon!)

"Simple as can be."
                        - Florida Georgia Line -

Comment

Man that sucks I'd be devo too!

I don't think I'd go for a replacement ring though. Actually, I know I wouldn't - I was allergic to my engagement ring for the first year I had it, my skin would itch then split open and ooze. Really gross. Obi did offer to buy me a replacement ring (I could even choose it, seeming I wasn't thrilled about mine at first) but, I said no. This one, even with it's issues, was my engagement ring and that's just how it is.

Instead I think I'd just put the funds aside and by a super nice wedding band that speaks for itself and doesn't need the engagement ring.
                          Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I'd get a new one just because it'd represent my SO's love for me while a wedding ring represents our commitment and love as a whole and it'd be a lot of fun to go ring shopping (my SO is a total girly dude when it comes to shopping ) Besides if you bought a new one he could give you a real proposal, it wouldn't be a surprise but it'd still do eh?

Notes:
                            Met: 8.17.09
                            Started Dating: 8.20.09
                            First Met: 10.2.10
                            Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys

I'm still debating this and I guess we'll decide together when I see him next.

I'll be closing this thread now. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                              X