Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting married...but we cannot live together yet..how to go about it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting married...but we cannot live together yet..how to go about it ?

Hello,

Has one of you got married BEFORE closing the distance and moving together ?

my boyfriend (American /Army) and me want to get married next year (civil marriage), but we cannot decide which one is the best country (Germany or USA) ? We have done research and it looks like getting married in his State Washington would be the least complicated way.
    However, there is one thing:
    He cannot move to Germany until 2014, thats when his contract with the army ends, and initially we wanted to just wait until he lives here with me, but now he said he wants to get married as long as he is still a service member because it would be better for me later, plus Germany means a lot more burocracy and we would need an interpreter for him on top.
    Now, if we get married before we actually have the same address, wont this cause problems everytime i go to the US or he comes to Germany (since our legal status will change) ? as in they would think it is a fraud marriage or something ? We can of course prove anytime that this is not the case, but until 2014 we will have seperate addresses.
    Also, i do NOT want to apply for a green card or anything after marriage, since we are going to live in Germany in the future. Does me leaving the country after the marriage make things easier or more complicated with the offices ?

thank you so much in advance!!

I really don't know about any of the related travel issues. I would think that if you can prove once that relationship is legit (and I would expect that to be coming), you probably won't have any more trouble. I'm sure many people have been married and living apart, especially in the Army. And he's absolutely right about the benefits to being married BEFORE he gets out of the army. He'll also get paid more now (I think..). So lots of reasons to do it.

I doubt you'll have any trouble actually getting married, or leaving the country after. However, you might want to get together some kind of proof of the extent of your relationship before that, just in case.

I'm sure there's someone more qualified than me to answer here, but I really just wanted to say that he is absolutely right about the benefits to being married before he gets out of the army. It's a good idea.
    Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
    Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
    Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
    LD again: July 24, 2012
    Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
    Married: November 1, 2014
    Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

Thank you for your reply sewbama

Comment

Working...
      X