Including step-parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Including step-parents

My parents divorced more than 10 years ago, and both married last year. Or was it 2 years ago? Doesn't matter.

I've been thinking about somehow including them in our elopement. My dad wants to walk me down an "aisle". Remember, this is just an elopement, nothing fancy. No stupid readings. Just a quick thing outside. I was wondering if I should have both my dad and my step-dad walk me? I'm worried that would make my dad feel bad. I also thought that my mom and step-mom could walk my SO down the aisle. My step-mom doesn't have any kids, and my step-dad has all boys. So I don't know... I think it would be nice to include them somehow, but I also don't want to step on my real parent's toes.

Thoughts?

Are you particularly close to your step-dad? If not, I would just have your dad walk you down the aisle.

Comment

I'm closer to my step-dad than I am to my step-mom. In fact, when I'm home I hand out with my mom and her husband way more than I hang out with my dad.

Comment

I know for my future wedding, I want both my step-dad and my real dad to walk me down the aisle. I'm close to both of them and it's something I'd like to do. If you're not close to your step-dad I'm sure he'd understand if you just wanted your dad to walk you... Regardless of your decision both of them are going to be happy for you, so I don't think they'll analyze your decision.

sigpic

Comment

For me, I don't have a close relationship with my dad at all, he is very difficult to be around, or even to expain without going into huge detail and well, it is my choice that I haven't seen him in 2 years and have decided not to invite him to the wedding, I feel very uncomfortable around him.

My stepdad is my choice for walking me down the aisle. He feels very chuffed about that!

I think there is no hard and fast rule with this, It's whatever you feel is the best/right decision for you. Although you might have to live with hurting someones feelings.. but its a wedding, theres ALWAYS SOMEONE who is all huffy and upset over something.. it's like a wedding rule. :P
          Met Online: February 2009
          Feelings grew: January 2011
          First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
          Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
          Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
          Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
          Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
          Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
          Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
          Engaged: 1st of July 2012
          Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
          Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
          Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
          Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
          Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
          Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Its really about whats important to you but I understand what you mean about not wanting to hurt your dad's feelings. If your step dad helped raise you, then I don't see any harm in including him as well. And about your mother and step-mom walking your SO, is he ok with that? Does he have his parents?

Comment

Well, I'm a non traditional girl in this aspect because I don't want anyone walking me down (well, maybe my son, but definitely not my dad). I think if you want them both to walk you down, then you should have them both walk with you. You can always talk to your dad and let him know why it's important to you. It's your day, and he'll want you to be happy so I think he would more than understand.

Comment

Originally posted by blankita719 View Post
                Well, I'm a non traditional girl in this aspect because I don't want anyone walking me down (well, maybe my son, but definitely not my dad). I think if you want them both to walk you down, then you should have them both walk with you. You can always talk to your dad and let him know why it's important to you. It's your day, and he'll want you to be happy so I think he would more than understand.
                This. From the first sentence to the last.

Comment

Working...
                X