Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting married, and my emotionally unstable mother.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting married, and my emotionally unstable mother.

You all seem like a really great community...And I'm going to ask for some opinions/advice. This is going to be long-winded, so bear with me. If you make it to the end, you get a cookie! If you don't, you can skip to the bottom. There's a handy little TL;DR for ya.

I have a choice to make.

My SO has been committed to me since the day he first said "I love you." In fact, he kind of in a round-about way asked me to marry him, too. It was pretty crazy. We most definitely had a whirlwind romance, and declared out mutual love after barely a week of messaging, never even hearing the others voice. It took me a long time to be committed, much longer than him. Granted, not long by most standards...but longer by my own. I think it would have been easier if he had been my first love, but as it was, I didn't trust as easily, and our language and cultural differences added an extra dimension of complexity. But all that is neither here nor there. The fact is, that although we're not officially engaged, I have been committed to him since we met in person last month.

In my religion (and his, too, as we are of the same faith), we only date to find a marriage mate. So, from the very beginning we've gone in to this as marriage being the end-goal. Neither of us were looking for love currently, and neither of us were in a great place in our life to begin what we have (And we still aren't, really.) But sadly, falling in love very often just happens when it isn't particularly convenient, lol.

Not that you've gotten a little back-story, here's the main part.

When we started dating, it was very clear that there were going to be wedding bells in the future, barring any major catastrophes, or glaring, awful, dealing-breaking character flaws. My mother began to panic. My last relationship, my first love, ended slowly and painfully over the course of 3 years. When it was finally over, my mother was extremely relieved that she wouldn't be losing her daughter anytime soon. And then this happened. Not only was I in a serious relationship again, he lived out of state AND wasn't a US citizen. Well, she staged an intervention. When calling Lakshman and begging him to leave me alone didn't work, she made me promise to wait until I was 21 to get married. To give me a few more years to grow up.
    Now people, I know this is a perfectly fine thing. People getting married in their teens makes me nervous. But being in love, I was highly skeptical. But my best friend was on her side, and she knows me better than just about anyone, so I agreed. I made the choice without consulting Lakshman, and that was that.

Oh, man. Why did I do that?

After I agreed, she did several crazy things, like call Lakshman up in the middle of the night and demanded that he agree to do such-and-such before we got married. He didn't take to kindly to this...and the conversation went very, very badly, and ended with all plans of him meeting my mother being canceled. (Granted, I canceled them. But things were baaad, guys.)

When we met last month, not only was it clear we would not be waiting until I was 21, but that waiting would be excruciatingly painful, and possibly spiritually dangerous. (Let me explain: we're waiting for everything sexual until marriage. As soon as we got around each other, we both realized how very very much attracted we were to one another, and it became difficult to keep our hands off of each other. We kiss, we hold hands, but our desire to go so much farther is extremely, extremely strong. In order to stay faithful to what we believe to be morally right, we have to keep it in our pants until the vows have been said.) Once she was around us both, my best friend, who is also our chaperone, actually said before either one of us said anything, that she thought we shouldn't wait, and that 21 just wasn't going to happen, and might not even be the best choice. Her twin sister got married to an older man when she was 19, 5 years ago, and they are the most happily married couple you'll ever see. She saw us together, saw how much we loved one another, and guessed that I would be married by May. (When I'll be getting engaged! LOL!) While I don't quite believe that, Lakshman and I made the choice (together!) to get married next fall, when I would be just shy of 20. It felt right. I could commit to that.

I told my father, as he is level-headed and can look at things and accept them without letting his emotions run wild. He respected my decision, the only thing he asked was that I be able to financially support myself by the time I married. I wanted to hug the man and never let go. What did I do to deserve such an awesome dad?
    Well, then one day, out of the blue, my mother asks me point-blank if I'm still waiting for 21. And I don't lie. I tell her no. I stayed completely calm as she worked herself up to a frenzy, and just quietly repeated the same things over and over again. And she sobbed and sobbed, I heard her talking to my father, saying she was going to call Lakshman and tell him to leave me alone, and she sobbed some more as my father got stern with her over the phone, and calmed her down. Oh my goodness, the crying. Crying crying and more crying.

She finally calmed down, but every time I'd come back into the room it would be obvious she'd been crying even more. We're moving to California in three months, (but they're coming back to Kansas in two years) and she said things like 'we might as well just sell the farm and house, there will be no point in coming home...' I have a lot of empathy for her. I was her only child for 16 years, and she loves me so very desperately, but hearing her say things that that also made me mad, because I have a little sister whom she loves-but obviously doesn't love as much as me. I'm just glad she's still too young to tell. But I know in the future she'll always be compared to me. ulgh.

She begged me once again to wait. If not for any other reason, that to just do it for her. She begged me to at least think about it again.

When I was 7-8, my family moved to Colorado. My mother was away from everyone she knew, and fell into a deep depression. She couldn't get out of bed. I was depressed, too. Even though I adored Colorado, and the place we lived, I couldn't shake the blanket of sadness that she engulfed me in. I wouldn't get up in the mornings, because there was no one there. I was all alone, with my mother in her room. I'm terrified of putting my father and my little sister through that. I know what it's like to be a victim of someone else's depression. I have depression myself, and it's a absolute demon. I'm kinda convinced that my getting married next year will send her over the edge. She's not the most...sane woman in the world. And this really could break her.

I talked to my dad about it. He suggested that I promise her that I'd put off making a decision either way until we finish moving to California, and get settled there. My dad and I are terrified about this move, that THIS alone will break her. We're so scared that we're going to lose her again. And this stress of when I'm getting married back in the picture...it's just adding to a mounting awfulness. So I agreed. And honestly, too. I'm honestly considering it, either way. Sure, we're horny. But if our love is true, it will survive a couple of years apart. I told her that I would put off making a final choice.

And there's where I stand. An emotionally unstable woman making me promise not to get married until I reach an arbitrary age, and me, in love and wanting to be married a year from now. Blaaarg. Advice? Opinions? Sympathy? lol.

TL;DR: emotionally unstable mom is asking me to wait till I'm 21 to get married, because she can't handle the thought of losing me before then. My boyfriend/fiance and I want to get married this time next year. If I do what I want, and what feels right, my mom might end up in a mental institution, and my family in upheaval.
    Last edited by Anyaheirkoya; November 22, 2012, 08:01 PM.

My mom is emotionally manipulative and clingy too. I finally had to decide I was an adult and I had my own life to live. We get along, but I don't put up with her manipulations. If she starts in with it, I try not to feed it and remove myself. If we're on the phone, I find a reason to get off the phone. If we're in person, I try to change the subject or find a reason to walk away. Fighting with her doesn't help, and neither does reasoning. So I just don't feed it anymore. It isn't easy, but she's slowly catching on. And the longer I've been away from home, the easier it's gotten.

Now for some advice you probably won't like. I think she's right about waiting. Not so she can keep you her little girl, but because according to your tickers, you've known this guy less than six months, and if I read your story correctly, you've met once? And now suddenly because you have all this sexual attraction to each other, you want to marry sooner? I respect your choice to wait for marriage before sex, but wanting to have sex is not a good reason to get married. You're 18, you've known the guy less than 6 months, and you've met once. This isn't a whirlwind romance, this is a hurricane. Not only that, but if you marry, it will be without the support of your mother. She's a bit unstable and wants you to wait for the wrong reasons, but starting out a marriage with one parent dead-set against it makes things so much harder. Not resolving things with her now could cause her to try to sabotage your marriage later.

And is there a chance your rush to marry is in part to rebel or get away from your mom?

You need to slow down and not let yourself get swept up in the romance. You should examine why this sudden rush, and figure out if the reasons you come up with are good enough to sign onto a lifetime commitment, and if rushing into marriage is more about your mother than your boyfriend.

ETA: No matter what, get married when if feels right to you. I think you should wait because you're so young and you haven't known this guy long, and the honeymoon stage sounds like it's in full effect. But I don't think you should wait to 21 just because it makes your mom happy. You're an adult, get married when you want to. Like I said above, don't feed into her attempts to control you, or you'll be making these kinds of deals with her for the rest of your life.
    Last edited by LittleVari; November 22, 2012, 09:38 PM.

Comment

well, I can see where your mum is coming from, though I think she is approaching it in a very over-dramatic way. Looking at your signature you have a daisypath that says you've been 'official' for just 3 months, that paired with the fact that you are 18, i believe is very quick to be SERIOUSLY looking at marriage. Sure, daydream about marriage, talk about it.. but it is very early in your relationship to be deciding on a date.

Also, have you two discussed 'closing the distance'? this is really something that should be seriously discussed/decided on before discussing marriage, i believe. Imagine getting married but never deciding where to live together because neither wants to give up their lives where they are?

I do think your mum has a point though, just take a deep breath and look at your situation, you are 18, you've only officially been in your relationship for 3 months and you're already describing yourself as engaged and talking about a wedding in a years time.. and really, 21 isn't that far away. You two have no international borders between you either, meaning that you don't need to be married for residency.. just enjoy your relationship for what it is now.

and trust me, I know all about the over-dramatic/protective mothers.. my SO is having similar problems with his own mother, but he is 21, and we've been 'officially' together for over a year and a half.. I've also spent a lot of time with her, but it hasn't made a difference... if you get to this stage in your relationship and she is as dramatic, you might just have to ignore her and live your life the way you want it, but for now, take a look at why she is so concerned.. and maybe stop putting off the meetings between her and your SO, it might help if she meets/gets to know him.
      Met Online: February 2009
      Feelings grew: January 2011
      First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
      Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
      Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
      Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
      Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
      Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
      Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
      Engaged: 1st of July 2012
      Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
      Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
      Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
      Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
      Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
      Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

I agree with everything Jazi said, especially since part of your rushed decision is because you don't have the self-control to not sleep with one another. While I don't chastise that lack of self-control (I am not religious and feel sex is a healthy and normal part of a relationship), I do feel that it is wrong for that to be a reason you can't wait one more year to get married. While I don't agree with the way your mother is handling or approaching this, I actually believe she has a point. I feel if you can't wait a year for marriage after only three months into the relationship, then the decision is worth a lot more considering than it's currently being given. My two cents.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, guys. *doles out cookies* I really appreciate you taking the time. I do feel the need to mention that we *do* have self control- it's just not pleasant. lol. We really aren't in any danger, come to think of it. We're always chaperoned. (And thank goodness for that!) Hmm. I don't really know why I put that in there at all...anyways.

I know, I know, 3 official months is nothing. And two years is not a bad thing, nor will it kill me. Lakshman was extremely sweet about it all, and wants my mother and I's relationship to stay intact. He's good at waiting, and can wait some more. I still think I need to give this decision more time, and think it over.

As far as closing the distance goes, that's worked out. In fact, we've worked out the logistics of pretty much everything. But closing the distance for us requires getting married, as we won't be living together until then. I can't exactly put every detail in the behemoth above...did you see that post? It was getting daaang long. lol.

Thank you for the opinions/advice. ^.^ It's all food for thought.
          Last edited by Anyaheirkoya; November 22, 2012, 10:46 PM. Reason: tyyyyppoooos galore

Comment

I suppose I didn't mean it as harshly/forwardly as I did. I simply meant that I don't think sex should be a part of getting married so young. I understand that that's my personal opinion, though. I simply feel that if you're in love, then what is the point of rushing something good? I don't think sex should be that point/reason.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePiedPiper View Post
              I suppose I didn't mean it as harshly/forwardly as I did. I simply meant that I don't think sex should be a part of getting married so young. I understand that that's my personal opinion, though. I simply feel that if you're in love, then what is the point of rushing something good? I don't think sex should be that point/reason.

I completely agree with you. In fact, I think this has been a little slap in the face. I kind of poured out my heart and soul into my original post. I hadn't really realize that that played a much bigger role in my decision-making than I was telling myself it did. It's like this- it's very, very easy to be objective when you're not in the middle of it. But when you are, it's far harder. Sounds great in theory, but in reality, is....not so easy and great. When you're in love with someone, you want to be sexually intimate with them, regardless of your belief system. There's no switch I can flick to be in 'unmarried' mode. lol. But it's important to us both to wait. So I shall suck it up and wait! And try not to let that effect my ultimate choice.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleVari View Post
                My mom is emotionally manipulative and clingy too. I finally had to decide I was an adult and I had my own life to live. We get along, but I don't put up with her manipulations. If she starts in with it, I try not to feed it and remove myself. If we're on the phone, I find a reason to get off the phone. If we're in person, I try to change the subject or find a reason to walk away. Fighting with her doesn't help, and neither does reasoning. So I just don't feed it anymore. It isn't easy, but she's slowly catching on. And the longer I've been away from home, the easier it's gotten.

Now for some advice you probably won't like. I think she's right about waiting. Not so she can keep you her little girl, but because according to your tickers, you've known this guy less than six months, and if I read your story correctly, you've met once? And now suddenly because you have all this sexual attraction to each other, you want to marry sooner? I respect your choice to wait for marriage before sex, but wanting to have sex is not a good reason to get married. You're 18, you've known the guy less than 6 months, and you've met once. This isn't a whirlwind romance, this is a hurricane. Not only that, but if you marry, it will be without the support of your mother. She's a bit unstable and wants you to wait for the wrong reasons, but starting out a marriage with one parent dead-set against it makes things so much harder. Not resolving things with her now could cause her to try to sabotage your marriage later.

And is there a chance your rush to marry is in part to rebel or get away from your mom?

You need to slow down and not let yourself get swept up in the romance. You should examine why this sudden rush, and figure out if the reasons you come up with are good enough to sign onto a lifetime commitment, and if rushing into marriage is more about your mother than your boyfriend.

ETA: No matter what, get married when if feels right to you. I think you should wait because you're so young and you haven't known this guy long, and the honeymoon stage sounds like it's in full effect. But I don't think you should wait to 21 just because it makes your mom happy. You're an adult, get married when you want to. Like I said above, don't feed into her attempts to control you, or you'll be making these kinds of deals with her for the rest of your life.
                Ah, thank you! Your post didn't show up until just now. I really appreciate the advice. While I don't agree with everything (And the situation goes far, far deeper than what I've been able to express here) you have given me things to think about. Thanks again for getting through the whole thing!

Comment

Regardless of the age, I would never get engaged so someone after only three months! I know the feeling that you're blinded by love. It's the honeymoon phase and you cannot imagine this will ever stop and you have no doubts this is the man of your life. And it's great that there is such a thing and you people should be happy in it as long as possible.

However, and yes, no the big but comes. It won't last forever. At some point, it might be a year from now or two or just a few months, you'll realize he isn't as perfect as you thought he was. That he has his flaws and some of them will be so big that you will question whether you can live with them. And I know no relationship in which it is different. So imagine it turns out he isn't the guy you want to be with for the rest of your life and you're already married. Divorces are expensive and nasty or you will live a miserable life. I sorry for being so harsh but in my opinion the decision for a marriage should be made after you've been through hard times and you know each others weaknesses.
                  Sadly I can speak of experience. Not my own but many people I went to school with and got married at the age of 20, almost none of them is with their partners anymore. Some of them even have kids.

I know you'll probably not like this post but I'm not meaning to be offensive and you've asked for opinions and this is mine

Comment

I agree with waiting. Perhaps not until you're 21, but at least wait until sex doesn't come up in a list of reasons you want to get married. I understand wanting to wait and struggling to. If it helps, there was a thread created recently (I think by lucybelle) where those of us who are waiting talk about why and how we do it. It is really easy to let your feelings and impulses to completely overwhelm your thoughts at this age, and it's a good idea to take all these responses you're getting into consideration for your final decision.

Comment

Normally, I would say that you have to live your life the way you want to. I still agree with that, but I have to agree with the others. Three months is incredibly early to talk about getting engaged and married. My husband and I didn't start talking about getting engaged until after the one year mark. Take some time, and talk to your SO about everything. Definitely let him meet your mom. I know that I felt so much better and much more secure in my relationship once my husband met my mom.
                      I know that in a lot of Christian relationships that are like yours (where they date with the intention to eventually get married) that the marriages occur really quickly. They meet and then six months later they're married. It's not uncommon, but I just think that at 18, you need to take some time. The relationships that I've seen where this happen where with people that were older than 18. Take some time and figure out what it is you want. Figure out why it is you want to marry Lakshman.
                      "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                      Made it official: September 17, 2010
                      Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                      Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                      Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                      Got married: November 21, 2012
                      Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                      Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

My situation was/is rather similar to yours... but I didn't meet my SO until I was 23, and my mom was/is still a mess about it. About 6 weeks into our relationship my SO did his men's choir's tradition of one of the two lavalieres the seniors get. One for their moms, and the other for the girl they intend to marry. I was shocked and thrilled and overwhelmed with people congratulating us. We're now approaching our 2 year anniversary in just over 1 month, and we're getting married in just under 11 months. We're also waiting-for everything (we'll have been together for just shy of 3 years when we get married-so I'm confident when I say that if you're choosing to wait, you can make it). On that note, yes, I'm excited for the sex part of marriage. But I'm more excited to be partnered with my best friend, and doing life together. I'm more excited about the little things, like living together, going to church together, adopting a dog together, and the not so little things like raising kids together. (Not saying you're not excited for those things, this is just why I'm excited.)

Like some of the others have said, wait until sex isn't such as big of a factor. I'm not saying it shouldn't be at all-you should be excited and looking forward to it! Just, make sure that's not the only reason.

PM me for more of my/our story if you want, it's rather long and messy. I've got a couple of charts that have helped me that I'd be more than happy to share with you. I think I've posted one of them before, but I don't remember where, so I don't want to go all chart crazy on LFAD.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X