Proposal Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposal Dream

I had a dream the other night that my LDR boyfriend of over 5 years proposed to me while he was home for Christmas. In my dream, I completely HATED the ring he picked out. I told him about the dream and of course he said that I should tell him if I don't like the ring and we will pick out a different one. Is it bad that I worry about this happening in real life? I would hate to tell him I didn't like my ring. But at the same time it makes me want to pick one out BEFORE he pops the question, or at least give him a good idea as to what I would like. Am I being too picky? Some say I will love the ring no matter what just because he picked it out, but I'm not so sure...

Funny. I had a dream last night that radical Christians took over the country and forced everyone that was having premarital sex to marry their partners, so my SO and I had a shotgun wedding. I think yours is cuter

Comment

It is not guaranteed that you'll love the ring - I have a good friend whose boyfriend proposed to her with a pink, heart-shaped stone. This was far too cutesy for her, so they picked something out she preferred the next day. I don't think you're being too picky at all, since the ring will be a part of your life! I also don't think pointing out rings or qualities you like is overstepping your bounds. If he knows your taste, he has a better chance of picking something you like right away when he does propose.
      ~~~

Comment

He did a great job with my promise ring. I didn't help him at all, so maybe it will be the same for the engagement ring

Comment

Originally posted by efish1042 View Post
          Funny. I had a dream last night that radical Christians took over the country and forced everyone that was having premarital sex to marry their partners, so my SO and I had a shotgun wedding. I think yours is cuter
          I just choked on my soda. Hahahahahahah

I understand the worry! My SO thankfully has excellent taste in jewelry but I still worry. So I told my SO that he should pick out a ring and send a picture of it to my best friend (who is also his friend). She knows what I like so she can offer her input. Perhaps you can do that? My SO found it to be a relief when I told him he could do that!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
          Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
          Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
          Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
          Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

My SO is one of those men that can't really take hints, and I hate waiting for surprises, so we picked out rings together. (:

Comment

Lol! I just recently had a dream that my SO proposed and the ring was beautiful! I told him about it and even sent him a pic of a similar ring when he asked what it looked like. I've honestly been thinking about getting married a LOT =3. Hes been really great about putting up with all my excitement about it since its a new thing for me. Hes also been interested in pictures of rings I've sent him so I think he has a good idea of what I like.
              I think you should definitely show him pictures of what you like for when the time comes. You're gonna be wearing it for the rest of your life hopefully so you have to like it.

Comment

My SO & I looked at rings during a couple of visits when we had started talking about getting married. I told him, after trying on several rings and looking at a bunch more, that really, I only had 3 rules for the ring. 1) It has to be white gold. 2) you have to be able to see the center stone (preferably diamond) without a microscope (he's a little obnoxious like that sometimes so i have to make things iron-clad sometimes, lol) and 3) it has to fit. Which meant I got my finger sized about 5 times and told him each time, because it varied a little. I told him a couple of things I definitely didn't like, but let him run with it.

And he picked out the perfect ring, based on my rules & not-so-subtle-hints. But in the end, he picked it out on his own, which definitely makes it more fun to show off. "Oooh, it's so pretty!" "Thanks... And he picked it out all on his own!" "Oh he did such a good job!"

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I sent my SO an album of dos and don't regarding rings. It has several pictures of rings I really like (with reasons why) and a few examples of ones I don't like (with reasons why). I told him this is his guidance/reference and the rest is up to him. I'm positive he'll make an awesome choice, and if he doesn't I won't be telling him. But the chances of that happening are low.

You could do something like that. Make a list of features you like and don't like. But don't make it overwhelming! Simple things that a guy can understand :P
                  Our Story
                  Met on www.chat-avenue.com on December 27, 2010
                  Met in person on Decemeber 29, 2010
                  Long distance from Jan 2011-March 2013
                  Lived an hour away from each other March 2013-June 2013
                  Living together June 2013 -August 2013!
                  Long distance from Sept 2013 - unknown

Living happily in a monagmish relationship since December 29, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                    And he picked out the perfect ring, based on my rules & not-so-subtle-hints. But in the end, he picked it out on his own, which definitely makes it more fun to show off. "Oooh, it's so pretty!" "Thanks... And he picked it out all on his own!" "Oh he did such a good job!"
                    I just told Frank I wanted yellow gold, low profile (didn't want it too high off my finger), and showed him examples of ring styles I liked and didn't like so he'd have some general idea - I did not want to choose it for him. He ended up doing a great job! And yes it was a lot more fun to show off telling everyone he chose it on his own. He later told me how he researched everything about diamonds and engagement rings. He was so scared about choosing something I would not like. He is still self-conscious about it and I have no idea why! I look it at it and admire it all the time and tell him I love it.

Guys stress out about choosing the right ring. So giving a little guidance eases the pressure a bit. If this is how Frank acts when he chooses a good ring, I wonder how he would have handled it if I didn't like it!
                    Read my LDR story!
                    Facebook
                    Instagram

Comment

I've had a few friends that went and helped pick out their ring before hand so this wouldn't happen, and I'd like to think I would do the same. Though at the same time it kinda ruins the surprise of the proposal bc you know its coming. My current SO has already asked me the style and cute of the ring I'd like and I've given him my input. So I have every confidence when that day comes that he'll pick something I'll love. May you could just bring it up in conversation one day. I mean this is the ring you are going to wear for the rest of your life, you'd better like it lol.
                      "You want for myself
                      You get me like no one else
                      I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
                      Even in the darkest part of me
                      I am beautiful with you
                      Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
                      You're here with me
                      Just show me this and I'll believe
                      I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment

I don't expect an engagement ring any time soon, but when I do, I want it to be completely up to him what he chooses. I picked out my ring the first time around, and this time (if it was to happen!) I just want it to be all him...

I have shown him rings I like, though, but I don't know if he'll remember it for when the time comes because I was never like: Hey! I would like this as an engagement ring! I've tried to hint that I would prefer a semi-precious stone over a diamond... (maybe a sapphire?) and that I would be thrilled if he found something second hand and therefore cheaper, because for me it is so much NOT about the worth of the ring!! Again, this is all things that have come up in conversation and I have no idea if he's paid attention...

In the end, I'm not fussy... I have a feeling that even if he gave me something that is entirely not my style, I would come to love it very quickly (maybe after a tiny adjustment period) just because I know he picked it out for me!
                        First met online: June, 2010
                        First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                        Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                        Third visit together: August, 2012
                        Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                        Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                        Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                        Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

My SO bought my ring with the help of my mom, grandma and sister.

Okay actually, my mom, grandma and sister picked out my ring and my SO agreed.

I don't think I would *hate* anything. I prefer yellow gold jewelry, and without big stupid diamonds, and something that's kind of funky and fun. But if my SO had picked out a plain white gold giant diamond ring for me, I would love it anyways.

Comment

I sort of picked mine... I saw a 3-stone ring I loved, but wanted sapphires not diamonds, then it turned out the design was copy-righted so the jeweler couldn't modify it in any way. So my SO ended up having to have to work with the jeweler to build a completely new ring. It's a tiny bit different from the one I chose but I still love it, and it's one of a kind too

I think I would have liked anything my SO got me, he knew I hate those giant gaudy ones that the jewelers are pushing on everyone these days, so I probably would have got something simple and pretty anyways. I don't think there's any harm in pointing out what sort of style you like, then ultimately have your SO pick it out if you want it to still be a surprise. Our idea was I'd send him a load of pictures, then when he was ready to start looking, he'd have something to go off.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosalynn View Post
                              I sent my SO an album of dos and don't regarding rings. It has several pictures of rings I really like (with reasons why) and a few examples of ones I don't like (with reasons why). I told him this is his guidance/reference and the rest is up to him. I'm positive he'll make an awesome choice, and if he doesn't I won't be telling him. But the chances of that happening are low.

You could do something like that. Make a list of features you like and don't like. But don't make it overwhelming! Simple things that a guy can understand :P
                              I like this idea! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X