How Long Before You Tied The Knot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long Before You Tied The Knot?

As a 19 yo in college, I'm not exactly ready to go bounding down the aisle, although I would be not be upset if my strange dream (link here: https://members.lovingfromadistance....Proposal-Dream ) came true and I had to marry him tomorrow.
    I'm just wondering, out of pure curiosity, how long you waited to tie the knot/get engaged and why? I say tie the knot/get engaged because I know some of you are engaged for years so it sort of counts, while many simply get the wedding over with quickly.
    So, how long and why did it take that long/short?
    < 1 year
    23.68%
    < 2 years
    23.68%
    < 5 years
    42.11%
    < 10 years
    7.89%
    10+ years
    2.63%

We planned to get married about 3 years in. We are getting married about 4 years in. No real engagement period. Oh and weve lived together for 2 years.

Don't get married at 19!!!!

Comment

We dated for 1 year and 2 weeks before getting married.
      It was not the ideal and at first we actually talked about dating for about 3-5 years before tying the knot, but due to some circumstances, like pressure from his work company (who also gave us some empty financial promises) and some things concerning my student visa, we decided to take the step. Though to be honest, it was not because we felt that "one year" was the optimal dating time, but we made a decision based on certain aspects.

Comment

We've known each other for six years and dated for a little less than four years before getting married. We got engaged a little over a year prior to marrying.
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

We waited about 1 year and 2 weeks before we got engaged - and we'll be marrying at exactly 3 years. We waited to get married because im not 18 until next year

Comment

We're happy to get married approx Nov 2014 to be honest, all this going well still and happy in love then we're going to go for it, Marry and close the distance, we both only want to get married one time in our life so we will make sure we are both 100% happy and ready for it

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
            2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
            3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
            4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
            5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
            6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
            7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
            Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
            UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

We got engaged over a year and a half "in" to our relationship. We'll be getting married just before the 3 year mark.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

we dated about 3 years before getting married. We didn't really have an engagement period (or a very short one anyway approx 3 months). Three years doesnt seem that long to me to be honest. We got married because we were both ready to. Im in my late twenties and him in mid thirties so we're a little older. We've each made our mistakes etc and know what we want in a relationship, i personally dont think getting married in your late teens is a good idea. You havent had time to make those needed mistakes. Im glad i didnt marry the guy i was with at 18 and i was with him for 7 years. People change. I changed.

Comment

I was engaged to a now-ex after dating for only 5 months (and knowing each other for a grand total of 6), though we wouldn't have gotten married until we'd been together 2.5-3 years for religious reasons. I called it off before getting married or making wedding arrangements (outside my head lol) - I don't regret it in the least. Others may differ, but I do not think that time frame was nearly enough for us to decide to spend the rest of our lives together. Religion was a big push during the whole relationship and I was still figuring out what I believed and it didn't quite line up...besides that, I doubt we would have been compatible long-term (kids/what was expected of the wife/etc).

Now...I'm a fan of taking it slower. We shall see what comes.
                  ~~~

Comment

We had known each other for 6 years, dating for 2 (well, two years and 2 and a half weeks not to be specific ) when we got engaged and we married just over a year later.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

We have been dating for 5 and a half years. We plan to get engaged within the next year and get married once I am finished with my degree, which will be at least 3 more semesters from now, possibly more. I don't want to have an engagement that lasts more than a year, I believe that is plenty of time to plan things without rushing into it, unless of course someone has a long engagement for religious reasons and that I completely understand, but for me I would just like to be engaged 6 months to a year at the most.

Comment

We dated for 3 years, and are engaged now, we wont have a wedding for about 2 years. But we'll see, date hasn' been set yet so it can go up or down.
                        I love you Nathan <3
                        sigpic
                        5/25/09 <3

Comment

We got engaged 2.5 years into the relationship and married on our 3rd anniversary. (:

Comment

We got engaged after a year and four months. We got married 11 months later. We were originally going to get married in May 2013 which would've been just under three years. In short, we got married after 2 years and 2 months.
                            "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                            Made it official: September 17, 2010
                            Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                            Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                            Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                            Got married: November 21, 2012
                            Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                            Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

We got married after 2 years and 8 months of being together....
                              NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X