Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Makeup

Inspired by a thread in RambleOn....

I need advice. I have combination skin. My chin and cheeks will be super dry (like they are right now) but my forehead (by about lunchtime) will be shiny & oily again, even after applying oil-free lotion, oil-free foundation, and powder in the morning.

So I'm looking for input on foundation/lotions/face washes, whatever, to try out for my wedding day. I don't want my face to be shiny because it's oily! I have minor acne problems, especially when I get stressed out or it's that time of the month. I'm also trying really hard to stop touching my face (although it's rather ineffective). Really, I want it to become not just a wedding day thing, but this is at least the reasoning behind me searching for a solution. (My sister agreed to do my makeup for me for it. She did it for all of the dances throughout high school when she was at home.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

I'm still deciding on my makeup too! I love makeup and love to play around with it until I find something I like.

So something I suggest to everyone is Tea Tree Oil (and you might have seen me post about this before). I also have weird skin. I have minor acne but also really dry skin. If I don't immediately put lotion or something on my face after a shower my face gets all cracked and dry. My greatest discovery every was Tea Tree oil. The oil itself has an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that causes acne. I buy the bottle you can get at WalMart and it comes with a whole bunch of other oils, because tea tree oil itself is very drying. So the combination of the other oils (sunflower, aloe, vitamin E etc) plus the tea tree oil works awesome!!! I got MadMolly hooked on it too I put it on whenever I get out of the shower or wash my face. I shower at night and I like to try to only put it on at night because I think during the day (especially since it's so hot here) it's kind of heavy. When I wear it at night I wake up and my skin is soooo soft! This is what it looks like- you'll find it in the hair aisle (lots of people use it to moisturize hair).

Also, for acne my SO has got me on Oxy. I put it on big pimples that pop up and I shit you not one day later they are gone. So I put that on as spot treatment at night and it works awesome too.

As far as foundation and stuff goes, I can't help you. I can't wear it every day since it makes me break out more.

So this is what I'd say- since your sister is going to do your make up you can spend up to $500 on make up to play around with. That's about how much a makeup artist will cost you (right? I actually just made up that number, I have no idea) For foundation and such I'd say go to a department store and have someone help you. You can also buy tinted moisturizer which I think is lighter than foundation. Carmendee on WNTW likes the spray foundation (onto a sponge).

Comment

For the wedding itself the lady who did my makeup suggested cream foundation, because on the dry parts of my skin it would give it a bit of a glow but on the oily parts of the skin the cream and the oil will blend so you can't see the shiny forehead. It worked really well as far as I can tell from pictures.

I don't know if I would recommend that for everyday use though, because I felt like the cream foundation was suffocating my pores. /:
      It seems weird but olive oil is a good remedy for most anything that happens on my face. When I come back to Singapore where the weather is hot and humid I tend to get little spots all over. Olive oil helps heal the spots and make them go away and even out my complexion. When I return to Oregon it's pretty dry and my skin starts to peel. The olive oil moisturizes my skin so I stop peeling. It seems like it would make your face even more oily, but for some reason the skin receives it really well and you can't see it on the surface at all. I don't really use anything else on my face.

Comment

totally yay with the tea tree oil!! I have the most awful skin ever, so senstive and temperamental and oily/dry at the same time. I use Mac foundation which is the best stuff I've ever used. Never gives me breakouts! If you go to a Mac counter at a department store they can match your shade for free if you're buying one. I recommend to go out into natural light after they put it on you before you buy it, because sometimes their store lights make you look pale, then you go outside and you're a strange yellowish or orange tint!

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
          So this is what I'd say- since your sister is going to do your make up you can spend up to $500 on make up to play around with. That's about how much a makeup artist will cost you (right? I actually just made up that number, I have no idea) For foundation and such I'd say go to a department store and have someone help you. You can also buy tinted moisturizer which I think is lighter than foundation. Carmendee on WNTW likes the spray foundation (onto a sponge).
          I'm currently using an "air whipped" foundation, that my skin seems to sort of tolerate.

OMG I LOVE THAT WOMAN.

I'll have to keep looking... anyone have any experience with Sephora or Ulta?

Comment

Ulta is great! I have always had great experiences with their associates - very knowledgable. And they have a lot of different brands!
            ~~~

Comment

Right now I've started a Skin care regimen, because all of a sudden I have started breaking out everywhere, when I rarely ever get spots! I get a dry T-zone, whereas everywhere else is "normal" I'd say. I'm using "Simple" products- cleanser, toner, Light moisturizer and eye cream, then rich moisturizer before I go to bed. I've really noticed the difference after forcing myself to stick at it for a week. I think the trick is to start figuring out a good skin-care routine well in advance so you can try regulate your skin, and thus no break-outs on your wedding day!

I'm actually trying to go to the mall today and try find a decent foundation- I've only been using powder and I think it's clogging my face up! Also, maybe try a good primer? It acts as a barrier between your skin and the make-up so it stops the make-up playing havoc with your pores!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
              <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
              The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
              <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
              <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
              Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
              Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have combination skin too. The best thing that has ever worked on my face is Mary Kay. I absolutely love their TimeWise line! It's the face wash, moisturizer, and a day and night serum that has lots of good vitamins for your skin. You can get other stuff too, but I'd recommend those things. Also, I love their mineral powder foundation. It's nice and light but still gives lots of coverage. They also have a liquid foundation (I can't remember what it's called. I've never used it) that's supposed to be light and still give full coverage. You could try that too.
                "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
                Made it official: September 17, 2010
                Got engaged: January 15, 2012
                Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
                Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
                Got married: November 21, 2012
                Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
                Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

I have combination skin as well. Right now I'm using Clean and Clear Morning Burst, the one with lemon, papaya and caffeine, not the original one. Clean and Clear Essentials Dual Action Moisturizer. And for foundation I just use Revlon Colorstay Aqua Mineral Makeup. It feels like it's going on wet, and it doesn't dry out my skin like some powders do. I find that it covers up all my redness and blemishes pretty well. This combination works well enough.

What I used to use, which I think works SO much better is called Nu Skin. My aunt works for them, so I've gotten a lot of free products over the years. These two made a great pair for me.
                  Facial Cleanser and a pH balancing toner to keep you from getting shiny so fast.
                  "You let me in your heart and out of my head."

Comment

I just saw this so I hope it's okay if I post!

If I were you, I would try to purchase some high-end stuff for your wedding day, especially if you are saving money by having your sister do your makeup. You may as well get some professional-type products to work with.

My suggestion would be to go to a counter for foundation. You really want to be color matched and to get a foundation that will stay all day long. I would ask for some samples and then see what works best. You and I seem to have a similar skin issues. My cheeks get incredibly dry but my forehead, chin, and nose get so oily. I hate combination skin! I also have some breakouts, especially when I'm stressed or it's that time. I just picked up Clinique Acne Solutions foundation on Friday and so far I'm in love with it. I don't know how long lasting it is though since I just bought it and haven't had to wear it for very long each day - I'll let you know if you'd like.

If you want to go a little cheaper/get something for every day, I've heard great things about Revlon Colorstay foundation. The beauty bloggers I watch on Youtube obsess over this foundation and it's inexpensive. I have never tried it but it's worth a shot.

I would also get a primer and setting spray. Urban Decay has the best ones supposedly, although I'm cheap and use ones from Elf ($3 and $1) that work pretty well. I plan to purchase the Urban Decay ones in the future.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                    Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                    Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                    Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                    Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I'm definitely going to end up spending more than I normally would on makeup, since I want to look pretty much the same aaaaaaalll day long. I think I've convinced Nix to do some pictures before the ceremony, so I'll need to look good from probably noon until at LEAST 11pm. (2pm ceremony 6pm reception. we wanted less time in between the two but unfortunately, it's not an option because of the venues.) so I'll be doing makeup research for a while and talking to the "pro's" to see what's out there.

but I'm definitely going to look into some of the every day stuff you guys suggested! i'm tired of having an oily forehead by the end of the day. (although it's not like anyone at work probably even knows i wear makeup, since most guys are pretty ignorant about that kind of stuff...)

Comment

One thing you could consider is Clean and Clear oil absorbing sheets. I've heard they were pretty well. They come in a small little pack, so you could easily sneak to the bathroom before and after the ceremony and throughout the reception to make any oiliness go away.
                        "You let me in your heart and out of my head."

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention this - since you're going to be photographed a lot you want to get a foundation without SPF. The ingredients in the sunscreen can cause the light to bounce back and you can get a washed out effect. Some people may disagree but I have read this on many beauty sites and have found it to be pretty true.

For every day makeup I wear SPF and do not care but for special occasions I try to wear one with no SPF and then hide from the sun! Haha.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                          Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                          Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                          Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                          Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
                            Oh I forgot to mention this - since you're going to be photographed a lot you want to get a foundation without SPF. The ingredients in the sunscreen can cause the light to bounce back and you can get a washed out effect. Some people may disagree but I have read this on many beauty sites and have found it to be pretty true.

For every day makeup I wear SPF and do not care but for special occasions I try to wear one with no SPF and then hide from the sun! Haha.
                            Oops! I bought a foundation with SPF!

I got L'oreal True Match and I think it's pretty nice. I got the foundation and matching powder. It took a while to pick a color because there were like 4 colors that were almost identical. I finally just picked one, because I needed to go! I was about to buy the Revlon stuff, but didn't because it was $10 more! I wore the makeup out last night and I think it did nicely.

Comment

Working...
                            X