Proposal Plan! Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proposal Plan! Opinions?

So I've finally made the decision to propose to my SO, and I've spent weeks and weeks thinking and planning, coming up with new ideas and scrapping old ones, until I eventually came up with this.

My SO is coming to Australia to stay with me in June. For the date I'm planning on, she will have been here for a bit more than two weeks, and have another four to go.

It starts off simply, hopefully with her suspecting nothing. I arrange for us to have takeout Chinese food for lunch a day or two before (she loves Chinese), and go to pick it up myself. I switch her fortune cookie with one I've prepared with a different message. Something along the lines of "Happiness will come to those who check the mail." or something much better that I haven't thought of yet.
    If she doesn't clue on that she actually needs to check the mailbox or wherever, I joke about it more and more obviously until she gets it.

In the mailbox is a simple white envelope with my SO's name written on it. Inside the envelope is a small antique looking key on a thin silver necklace and a plain white piece of card with an address, and then 5PM, 26/6/2013, so it will be just approaching sunset.

I will have booked this amazing little really private and romantic beach cottage we stayed in almost exactly a year before that date.

The morning of the day, I'll get one of her friends to distract her for a while while I drive to the cottage and prepare everything.

We'll drive down to the address on the card together. When we get inside, she'll find rose petals on the bed, candles all around the place, etc, as well as a map of the nearby sand-dunes with a pirate treasure-y X marks the spot. We walk from the cottage along the beach until we get to the right place, where she will dig up a wooden box that I've made/procured with a little lock that matches the key.

When she opens the box, she'll find a Viewmaster that I've made. For anyone who doesn't know, a Viewmaster is one of those toys that looks like a set of goggles that you put up to your eyes and shows you seven pictures one by one when you pull a little lever. The first five pictures would tell a story about how we fell in love and our history either photos of us or I'd draw a cute little cartoon. The sixth slide would say something like "All the times we've spent together, none of them have passed as slowly for me as the last five 'click's. Just one more now..." (Viewmasters make a click noise when you change pictures)
    "Click"
    The last photo is of me on one knee on the beach in the exact spot I actually am. She pulls the viewmaster away from her face and sees me on one knee, and I ask out loud, "I'm already the luckiest guy in the world, to have spent the last (X time) with someone as incredible as you, but now I'm here, asking you to make me luckier still. I've known for a long time that I want nothing more than to spend the rest of my life with you. And so, (SO's full name, pull out ring), will you marry me?"

I know I need to work on the details / exactly what I'd do for the pictures / exactly what I'd say but I really just want some general thoughts / comments / suggestions!

Sounds pretty great to me! I didn't know you could personalize viewmaster reels though.

Comment

It sounds extremely romantic. I've looked into the personalized Viewmasters - just know that they run at least 30USD each. If your SO is the kind of person that would like that, I say absolutely go for it.

Not my style, but it definitely would be a proposal to remember.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

After looking at how much a diamond ring costs, I think thirty dollars for a custom viewmaster is the least of my worries.

And yeah snow_girl, me either! I got the idea looking around on Etsy!
        Here if you're interested
        https://www.etsy.com/listing/8525696...er-style-reels

Comment

I think it sounds great! It's a little over the top for my taste, but assuming your SO likes that, I'm sure it will be perfect!

Also, I'm seriously considering a personalized viewmaster now.

Comment

A little over the top is exactly what I was going for! For our second date, she carried two giant mattresses, a tv, dvd player, copy of The Breakfast Club, and a picnic basket over a kilometer from her house to this cute little empty stone building thing in a park, then blindfolded me and lead me from the car through the park to surprise me. I'm a bit worried this isn't going far enough to be honest!

And I KNOW! Such a good general gift idea, right?!

Comment

Originally posted by oneaussieboy View Post
              After looking at how much a diamond ring costs, I think thirty dollars for a custom viewmaster is the least of my worries.
              Yea. I guess I'm just cheap like that, and I'm always trying to save my $$ for us to be able to close the distance or have another visit. Although, when my SO & I started talking about marriage, I told him not to go into debt proposing to me. His proposal cost $0, excluding the ring. I have no idea how much that cost him. I can guess, but I don't want to know.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
              Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
              Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                I'm always trying to save my $$ for us to be able to close the distance or have another visit
                Tell me about it. Travel is so expensive! I just bought international flights the other day so my wallet is feeling very very light at the moment.
                EDIT: Worth it though, obviously.

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                I can guess, but I don't want to know.
                Yeah. I'm starting to wonder if it would be easier to dig up some diamonds myself than earn the money to buy one. >:3

Comment

That is really sweet! You are so thoughtful, and it seems like you know her really well, way to go! The only caution I have is to be careful about where you bury the viewmaster, you don't want to forget where it is or have wind blow away the X - maybe make an X in stones?

Comment

Awwww, sounds VERY romantic! Lovely idea! Idea for you guys needing cheap but pretty rings, check out: Limoges Jewelry... My full set came from there and when people see my engagement ring (even a jeweler in the mall thought it was) think it costs $2,000 when my full set was only $30! Here's my full set my love (and my mom) picked out for me- well I guess I'll have to wait to post the link for mine! :P

Comment

sounds awesome! good luck!!

Comment

Wow! this sounds lovely, so romantic! Congrats to you on that day! I love proposal stories!
                        I love you Nathan <3
                        sigpic
                        5/25/09 <3

Comment

Sounds so lovely! I hope Stephen comes up with something sweet and romantic too!

Comment

If she does all that for a second date... lol. I think what you have planned sounds perfect for her. Good luck!

Comment

This is fantastic, I know I'd be blown away by that kind of effort. There's a lot here that could go wrong though, which makes me nervous haha. Let us know how it goes when the time comes! (Photographer hiding in the bushes maybe?)
                              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                              X