Wedding ring wearage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding ring wearage

Do you always keep yours on? Do you only wear it sometimes? How would you feel about your SO only wearing it sometimes? Or not at all?

I usually have mine on. I only take it off for gardening, washing dishes, baking and other things that make my hands dirty. My SO wears his less often than I do. He doesn't sleep in it and he sometimes forgets to put it on in the morning. He doesn't always wear it to work either since he's an engineer and he works with gross machines all day. I don't mind that he only sometimes wears it. Occasionally when he's going out if he doesn't wear his ring I'll tease him when he gets home about it, like "oh, so you were snatching up the ladies tonight, huh?" I wouldn't like it if my SO never wore it, because it would make me feel like he doesn't like his ring. I also really enjoy catching a glimpse of it every once in a while and am like "hell yeah! That's my husband!"

I read somewhere once that whenever this lady took her ring off, she would always have her husband put it back on her finger. It sounded cute at first, but then I was like- what a pain in the ass!

I will wear mine all the time. I always wear my other rings (engagement ring and a family ring) and rarely take them off. I only take my rings off when i touch raw meat because it can get underneather them or in the gaps of the rings, icky! I feel naked without them on my fingers - my wedding ring will be no different

Comment

I wear mine almost all the time. I take it off only if I'm going to have my hands in something sticky, like dough, because I don't want to get it all gummed up.

My husband, by choice, usually only takes his off when he's showering because the water and soap makes it feel loose enough it might slip off, and he doesn't want to lose it down the drain. He was so excited about his ring that after I bought it he started wearing it three months early (while we were still long distance). Like you, I feel super proud when I randomly look over and see my guy wearing his wedding ring.

I think I've only had my husband put my ring back on about once or twice in almost two years of marriage. It would definitely be inconvenient if I wanted to wait for him to do it every time.
      My heart belongs to a pilot!
      ~*~
      ~*~
      [/center]

Comment

Neither of us take our rings off on a regular basis, and on the very rare occasion he takes his off to cook it goes right back on afterward. He takes his bracelet off slightly more, but it too goes right back on. If he leaves for work without it, half way through the day he's guaranteed to message and be all sadface lol.
        For me, I think I probably could get my ring off if I tried really really hard, but there's no point because my engagement ring is the one that gets mucky and I'd sooner break the knuckle than get this ring past it. So I've learnt to clean them really well without removing them, if I was going to bake or something I'd try to remember to use food handling gloves.

We discussed how often wearing the rings would be expected before we got married and both agreed that they were to be worn at all times, unless there was a safety risk. (Like if I decide to become a mechanic )
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I have my wedding ring on all the time apart from when I'm doing dishes or cleaning the bathrooms. I wear my engagement ring a lot less often now- I never sleep with it on anyway but now I have my wedding ring, it's not an automatic thing to reach for my engagement ring anymore.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
          <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
          The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
          <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
          <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
          Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
          Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'll take my engagement ring off when I am putting lotion on my hands, or if I know I'll be getting my hands dirty for an extended period of time. I used to take it off in the shower, but I can't stand not having it on so I wear it always.

I imagine Nix will be the same way with his once I put it on there, I don't think it will every come off. (ETA: He has two rings he wears all the time right now, his class ring he had custom made and one I gave to him over a year ago.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
              I'll take my engagement ring off when I am putting lotion on my hands, or if I know I'll be getting my hands dirty for an extended period of time. I used to take it off in the shower, but I can't stand not having it on so I wear it always.
              Newly engaged girl question: You can wear your ring in the shower? I don't think I ever would because I would worry but this is good information to know!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
              Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
              Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
              Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
              Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Sure. Of course, if the fit is a little loose, then you might want to take it off so that it doesn't slide off and fall down the drain if it gets wet and soapy (especially if there isn't a drain guard). But if it's tighter, like mine, then you should be fine.

Whatever you decide to do, make a point to put your ring back on right away after you shower/finish what you're doing so that you don't misplace it or forget it. As well, put it down well away from the sink drain when you take it off (my aunt almost lost her ring on her honeymoon this way -- it slipped out of her hands when she went to pick it back up.)
                My heart belongs to a pilot!
                ~*~
                ~*~
                [/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Trethsparr View Post
                  Sure. Of course, if the fit is a little loose, then you might want to take it off so that it doesn't slide off and fall down the drain if it gets wet and soapy (especially if there isn't a drain guard). But if it's tighter, like mine, then you should be fine.

Whatever you decide to do, make a point to put your ring back on right away after you shower/finish what you're doing so that you don't misplace it or forget it. As well, put it down well away from the sink drain when you take it off (my aunt almost lost her ring on her honeymoon this way -- it slipped out of her hands when she went to pick it back up.)
                  Thank you for this information! I will probably not wear it because I'm a worrywart but it's good to know that if I ever forgot to take it off or needed to wear it I could!

So far I've been keeping it in the box in my bedroom when I shower or do the dishes or something like that. I lost an earring down the drain once and I'm still frightened about doing that again.

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
                    Newly engaged girl question: You can wear your ring in the shower? I don't think I ever would because I would worry but this is good information to know!
                    I always figure if it's on and it fits properly it can't be lost so that's the safest place for it but, I did notice that your ring is white gold, which means it will show wear and tear quicker than other types of gold as most white gold jewelry is rhodium plated and will need to be re-plated every few years to keep it's awesomeness. So I figure it will last longer if you're not roughing it up in the shower/sink/wherever

Congratulations again btw!
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Yea - I was taking it off in the shower because it was cold outside and so it was a little loose on me. I always made sure I put it in my room, though, never in the bathroom (I was(still am) afraid the cats would knock it down the drain!)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                        I always figure if it's on and it fits properly it can't be lost so that's the safest place for it but, I did notice that your ring is white gold, which means it will show wear and tear quicker than other types of gold as most white gold jewelry is rhodium plated and will need to be re-plated every few years to keep it's awesomeness. So I figure it will last longer if you're not roughing it up in the shower/sink/wherever

Congratulations again btw!
                        Oh okay that makes sense!! And thanks again

Sorry for getting your thread off topic lucybelle!

Comment

I only take my engagement ring off to shower, wash my hands, cooking (when I'm using my hands) and when I go to bed! Rest of the time, it's on my finger! And I wear my promise ring all the time too (aside from the times I already stated).

Comment

My boyfriend and I each have promise rings, not engagement rings (yet).
                            Anyway, I wear mine unless I am going to the hospital for clinicals (I'm a nursing student). I don't like the idea of anything getting into my ring with some of the things I come across at the hospital. Just the thought of it creeps me out! I don't know though, I might feel differently when it is an engagement/wedding ring. I may never want to take it off and will be extra super careful to keep it clean.
                            My SO knows that I take it off before showers, lifting weights at the gym, or going to the hospital.

My SO is the same as I am. He will wear his most of the time and take it off when he has the possibility or knows that he is going to get his hands dirty. He works a lot with his hands, which is why I'll probably upgrade his gold promise ring to something more durable! He's a mechanical engineer and wants to go into automotive engineering, so he is always working with cars.

*~*~*Forever & Always*~*~*

Comment

Initially I remembered to take it off while washing dishes or in the shower but nowadays I figure we specifically looked for a metal for our rings that stands up to hard wear, and the fit of my ring is tight so I don't take it off anymore. SO also wears his ring all the time, mostly because he hates the feeling of pushing his ring over his knuckle.

Comment

Working...
                              X