What do you think about promise rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to know what your views are on promise rings.

My questions to you are:
    Do you think they need a specific promise?
    Could any ring be considered a promise ring?
    Are they like engagement rings?
    Last edited by paulawriteslove; August 3, 2010, 03:27 PM.

I think I'm from an older, more crochety generation. For us, promise rings were supposed to be a sign of purity and no sex until marriage, and staying faithful to your partner. Now those've evolved into purity rings while promise rings are a promise to... be a couple? I guess I don't really understand the point of a promise ring in that regard - there doesn't seem to be a purpose to it. I just think it means they care about you enough to buy a nice piece of jewelry.

I think any jewelry gift is a sign of love and commitment from a partner, and that it should be cherished as such.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Me and my SO both see promise rings are pre-engagement rings, but they also been viewed as purity rings (if you are a Christian). Here is a better definition:
      The secret of promise rings
      The promise they fulfill is simple... by giving a promise ring you are committing yourself to your lover. Promising you are not going to cheat or break up with them.
      No. Think to yourself, is an engagement ring the same as an eternity ring?
      No. They are for the most part less expensive than an engagement ring and they come before an engagement ring because of that reason. Its like a lead up to an engagement ring.
      "Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be." ~ Anonymous
      "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul." ~ St. Augustine
      "True love is rare, so when you find it don't let it go just because of a barrier you can't cross". ~ Ray H Wall

Chris and Megan - November 3rd 2009- (Break from June 15- )July 18th 2011.

Comment

I find that promise rings are a GREAT idea for couples, LDR and ones who see eachother regularly, to show their commitment and express their feelings towards the other person.

A promise of commitment and a sign of devotion.

You don't need an expensive, fancy, billion karat diamond ring to represent your love; it's the representation of the item, not the item itself.

I guess they are similar, but it's not the same. A promise ring, in my opinion, is like giving you the step before an engagement ring. It's like saying, here's my ring for now, but when the time comes, I'll give you the real thing. :]

Comment

I think they are the best way to show how connected you are with your partner.

Yes, they should. The promise to be together as one by marriage someday.

It depends on who gave you the ring and for what purpose. Your friend could give you a ring as a gift for Christmas or any other special event just show you how much they value your friendship. Your SO, on the other hand, gives you a ring to show you that they want to be with you for a long time; it's like leading up to an engagement ring.

Again, it depends. Rings could mean different things and it doesn't necessarily have to be like engagement rings. Like I said, they could be from your friend who values your friendship or you can buy yourself a ring just to add to your jewelry set lol. But these are just my opinions, everyone has a different view about them.

♥Now on we go♥
          ♥To where no one knows♥
          ♥But I know, that I love you even more♥
          ♥Tears we cry♥
          ♥Asking myself why♥
          ♥Did I let the only one that I love go♥
          ♥You were meant for me♥
          ♥Darling can't you see♥
          ♥This is your song♥
          Your song (For you) By Glenn Lewis

You'll be my hubby and I'll be your wifey, so let's be together in bliss for "lifey" lol
          (I know it's cheesy, just bare with the siggy XP)

Comment

I think promise rings are a really good way to show commitment to one another, especially over a long distance. My SO gave me one the day I was leaving America, and everytime I look at it I think of him, it's really special to me.
            Not really, they can just show love, however I see my promise ring as a long term commitment to one another, and a promise to stay faithful.
            Speaking from experience again, the ring I was given was his High School graduation ring, so it has his name on it, his highschool, a cross, his football team, a picture of a bass guitar and inside is his full name, engraved. Even though it's a really manly ring and wasn't made to be a promise ring I feel that it has a lot of sentimentality and significance, and it meant a lot to him, it was a big deal to give it to me. I think any ring that is special can be considered a promise ring, even if it's a bright pink plastic ring that costs nothing. As long as it is given with thought and love I don't think it matters.
            I think they're like pre-engagement rings. It's a promise that one day you'll end up together, but just not immediately.

Hope that helped a bit
            "Absence diminishes mediocre passions and increases great ones, as the wind extinguishes candles and fans fires"

Comment

The term kinda reminds me of those cheap rings some church organizations get in bulk for teens to wear to show they swear off sex until marriage. I know people use them in place of engagement rings or with other meanings, which I think is fine. It's a physical manifestation of something between two people that's important to the both of them.

Not particularly. Promise whatever you want whether it's a promise to wait for them or to always love them or even something silly as to always enjoy eating waffles together. So long as it's important to you to warrant the ring.

Considering I want my wedding ring to be made from a tea spoon? Heck yeah. Get it from a 25 cent machine at the mall for all anyone cares, what matters is the symbolism not the physical ring itself or how much it costs.

Only if you want them to be.

Comment

I've only ever heard of promise rings as a no sex before marriage thing, never heard of them in the way you guys are describing. I guess I don't really see the point, if you make a commitment that you're going to be getting married then doesn't that mean you're already engaged? :P

Comment

I don't think a promise ring needs to mean the same thing for every couple. It's the specific promise a couple makes to one another. That could be, "I'll wait for you" or a promise to not cheat. Or even a promise to specifically get through the distance and a promise to one day to be together. It's whatever a couple makes it. I think they are a great idea for long distance couples. It's just another form of reassurance about your relationship - and that is what so many people in long distance relationships need.
                  Read my LDR story!
                  Facebook
                  Instagram

Comment

What do you think about promise rings? I love them, it shows devotion to the relationship.
                    Do you think they need a specific promise? Yes, promise ring thats the name.
                    Could any ring be considered a promise ring? Sure, the promise is what counts and that he even thought of giving you one.
                    Are they like engagement rings? Nope, not the same type of commitment.

Comment

Well I've just let my bf explain to me yesterday whats the difference between a promise ring and an engagement right haha
                      I personally havent really heard of somethin like that before, but if my bf and I would get one I'd like it to be after the first time we met and have like some sort of promise that we'll see each other soon, tho knowing both of us we'd end up with an engagement right already so Im not sure how much value I should give such a promise ring O_o

Comment

Must admit, I hadn't heard about promise rings before I came to this site...
                        Not really sure I understand the idea of a promise ring - at least not in current time.
                        So can't really answer any of the questions...

Of course it's a nice thought, to give that to each other, kinda like taking the relationship to another step, but...
                        For me that is kind of like an engagement ring instead. At least if you have been dating for some time.
                        Isn't it kind of the same thing? Commitment, want to be together, love each other and want to get married someday?
                        For me there's not really a "date" with an engagement ring. For me it just shows the things above...
                        Meaning, my bf and I are getting engaged in November, but we haven't really talked about when to get married. Maybe next year, 2 years, 3 years. All we know is we want to get married in the future.

Comment

My first serious boyfriend gave me a promise ring. He went down on one knee and the whole lot--we were so young (and obviously it didn't last to the point of getting engaged, etc.) and it just seemed so strange to me. To be honest, I still don't quite see the difference (in the traditional sense of promise rings), other than that it's like a promise for a future promise.

The ring is beautiful--its a gold claddagh ring with diamonds (like the style Angel gave to Buffy). I still have it (and wish I could wear it), though I never wear it because it would feel inappropriate with all the memories and intentions attached to it.

I think that if you are going to get each other promise rings, I like the ways you two are viewing it. Think of it more of a physical manifestation of your commitment and love for each other (it's pretty cool to have something like that to remind you of someone you are missing) and, as you say, you can give a specific promise like seeing each other again soon or going on an amazing trip together or something.

(Aside: Sorry that I didn't answer the original post. For some reason, when it loaded it just showed the first two posts above me as the first and only page! Oops!)
                          Last edited by Lunar Snow; August 16, 2010, 04:47 AM.

Comment

They seem to be a "I promise to ask to marry you some day, but we're too young/ not financially secure or something right now" kind of thing, which to me is pointless, but a good friend of mine recently recieved one, and it was really meaningful and reassuring to her. I guess it's good for people who aren't vocal with their feelings. For me I think it'd be rather pointless, and would take away the juicy suspense of not really knowing if he'll ever ask.

I guess they could. I'm also personally against promising not to leave someone before you take marrage vows. It's stupid, in my opinion. If you're not ready to marry, don't make the promise.

Yes, I think so. I've heard of people giving plastic rings and such, but again, I think that's only special for teen relationships.

They seem to be
                            Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

a promise ring is just that a promise that something will come of this relationship but for whatever the reasons are an engagement ring is not an option at the moment. For me and my bf, and yes keep in mind I am older, we do not want to be 'engaged' and then have to wait a year or longer to be physically together. So a 'ring' just because and to have something special to have/wear. When we do get engaged formally it will be because we are together in the same space and plan to be married. The ring or whatever you choose to call it is a symbol of what will be and something tangible to hold on to.

Comment

Working...
                              X