No announcement yet.

Why do people get married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of people generally make poor decisions based on faulty judgement or deceiving perception of things. A fair add would be also that women especially yearn for security in all aspects of life, even within committed relationships, for as long as possible.
    Marriage is like one of those recipes that has a decent, but realistic percentage of going wrong. But the main ingredient isn't love or luck, it's being wise, knowing yourself primarily and having a good social and individual understanding of people. A good marriage doesn't just maintain itself if love is present, but a good marriage and its precursor, a good relationship, are maintained through dedication, common goals and, sadly for the lot of you that are generally lazy, a decent and healthy amount of work.
    Whether it's a relationship or marriage, I guess each has its own set of charms and roles in life. I don't believe in the excuses people make to either speed up a marriage or not go through the "hassle" of having it. I simply believe marriage is a union for two individuals that would be a nice experience if the two individuals have a harmonious and functional, long lasting relationship. It's not meant to strengthen or bound, as tradition in some countries or religion scare the normal folk with... It's just an experience, one of the many you already go through together, so that's basically why I'd do it.

Comment

Visa reasons that's why we're thinking of settling down early, maybe two to three years into the relationship. Those who live in the same country are damn lucky, but it's fine, we both want to get married anyway. Funny thing is, I live in a country with no divorce, so getting married here means you REALLY have to love each other because there's no turning back.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
        I know that one day in our darkest moment being bound together in marriage may just give us that extra strength to try one more time where unmarried we may have walked away.
        This is definitely one of the reasons.
        Another is the legal benefits of marriage. I work at a hospital and I've seen how difficult things can be for a committed partner if they aren't married to the patient. Legally, marriage makes you the other person's family. I want to be treated as such and make decisions that are important to both of us. At hospitals, you have no say in the care provided if your partner can't decide for himself. You can't even visit if his parents or siblings (whoever is alive and in charge) don't let you. I want the man i marry to one day be, in the eyes of my government, what he is in my eyes. And getting married makes him just that, my family.

Comment

As unlikely as it is, if I were to get married again, it would be for visa purposes. Also, like other smart people before me have said, that actual piece of paper, for many reasons, makes you work harder at it, it just does. Even if it's only because you don't want to lose half your stuff, it makes a difference.
          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmmm...Well. I wrote an email to my SO about a year ago telling him I wanted to get married someday. We hadn't even uttered the word before that because we've both had failed marriages. What I essentially said in that email was first and foremost, I like the commitment it implies. I'm moving across the world to be with him, I want to know he's willing to go out on a limb for me. Also, I like the status. Yep. It sounds like a stupid reason but it's there. I cringe when I tell people I moved here for my boyfriend. It sounds lame. And I hate myself for thinking that. He introduces me as his partner but that just sounds...I don't know what. I also want to tell the world I love him in a really public way. I want his last name too. I still have my married last name from my first marriage. I didn't change it because I knew one day I'd marry my SO and I don't want to change it yet AGAIN.

In response to my email, my SO said he was more than happy to get married, especially as we were talking about having children. We more than likely will not be married before we start a family, but we would like to at some point. So, children are a big factor in his reasons for marriage.

All that being said, I have my days when I think marriage is for the birds and it's just a silly piece of paper. I'm indecisive

Met online: 1/30/11
            Met in person: 5/30/12
            Second visit: 9/12/12
            Closed the distance: 1/26/13!!!

Comment

Count me in on the visa crowd. I would have married him eventually, I'm sure, but I would have liked to live with him first. But you need a visa for that. And you need to be married for that visa.
              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Why do I want to get married? To me getting married symbolizes the starting of a family, two people coming together to love each other and share their love to create others. I wouldn't feel comfortable not being married to my future children's father. Being married to me is so significant it's the same as being blood related. I take "for better or worse" seriously and see divorce as okay in only extremely unhealthy circumstances, not like most of the people today who get a divorce just because their partner changed or something.

Also the benefits of being married are going to be important for me later on. I have some serious medical issues and if my SO wasn't allowed to be able to make those calls or even be able to know what's going on or be notified in the event of an accident scares the hell out of me. I want him to be the one to choose when I can't. In this aspect marriage means absolute trust.

Notes:
                Met: 8.17.09
                Started Dating: 8.20.09
                First Met: 10.2.10
                Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I want to marry my SO because I want to roar (not shout, mind you roar) from every height and every possible opportunity how very much I love them. Since it's generally considered bad form to run around roaring at the top of your lungs about how happily in love you are (anyone remember Tom Cruise and his ill fated seat jumping intro on Oprah about Katie Holmes?) I'll settle for marrying and putting a ring on his finger

Comment

If we marry, it will be for the visa. The only way we can live in the same country and permanently close the distance is to get married. Its a big step and I wish we could take it at our own pace but I guess that's one of the things you have to deal with being in an international ldr.

Comment

Originally posted by Lovebee View Post
                      Call me old-fashioned, but I want his last name, I want his children, and I don't believe in having children outside marriage. Also, I love him, and I think that the marriage ceremony (religious, even though I'm not overly so) adds something more serious to your relationship. You promise to love each other, no matter what, in front of everybody you love. I think that's important.
                      This plus my religion aspect. Also i want to everyone to know about him(and us being together.. kinda shouting he is mine :d) and for it i see marriage as the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapookie View Post
                        If we marry, it will be for the visa. The only way we can live in the same country and permanently close the distance is to get married. Its a big step and I wish we could take it at our own pace but I guess that's one of the things you have to deal with being in an international ldr.
                        Hasn't he been here nearly a year now? (Sorry if I'm wrong but it feels like he's been here quite a while). If you can prove you have lived together a year (Even if it wasn't all in the same country) you can get a defacto visa in Australia. You don't have to get married to stay here. Also, you can apply for the partner visa on or off shore. Message me any time you need help with Aussie visas.
                        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

For me marriage isn't just a piece of paper, and it is definitely more than a divorce statistic. In my opinion, marriage is about giving your partner the ultimate commitment. It's about loving each other through the good things and the bad things and being together as one family.

sigpic

Comment

If we marry, it would be for a visa. I feel stupid at the idea of remarrying after a failed marriage... like I blew my first chance, who would want to wish me well again? I trust in my relationship that I don't need a piece of paper... I'm not sure what his feelings are on it anymore... I know he never wanted to get married at all originally, and we have discussed the idea of doing it for a visa... If it happens, it's probably not going to be a romantic thing for us...

Though every now and then I imagine little things, like hearing him call me his wife, or taking his last name (which oddly enough, I never did in my previous marriage) and I really like the idea of it...
                            First met online: June, 2010
                            First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                            Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                            Third visit together: August, 2012
                            Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                            Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                            Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                            Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Same as many here, yea to be married would help get the visa, but that's the smallest part of it, the reason we want to marry it simple because we love each other, I want to be able to call her my wife, I want to wear a ring that shows I'm married to her, I'm proud and happy to have her and want to show her off to the whole world lol.

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
                              2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
                              3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
                              4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
                              5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
                              6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
                              7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
                              Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
                              UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

We got married because we believe that marriage is being united in God's eyes, and making a lifelong commitment to each other in front of our loved ones. We didn't even do the legal bit until almost 2 months later. I would also like to have him involved in any medical decisions and other similar things, and if we weren't married they would have to contact my family in a different country in the event of an emergency.

Comment

Working...
                                X