Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question..in an LDR where would you get married since youre in 2 states?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question..in an LDR where would you get married since youre in 2 states?

I've often wondered how a couple would go about doing this if they have family participating. Im also contemplating what I would do with my boyfriend when the topic comes up for this. Every single relative of mine lives in NC and majority of his live in NM. But I dont think mine would be able to afford to even consider flying down to NM if I got married there. How did you and your SO work this out that was best for you? Right now its just a thought for us.

At the time I married, I was living in Washington, and my fiance was living in California. We ended up having the wedding in Washington because we agreed that, as the bride, I was doing the bulk of the planning, and it was more convenient to plan to have the wedding in my hometown where I was living. Both of us had family members who needed to travel to the location of the wedding.
    My heart belongs to a pilot!
    ~*~
    ~*~
    [/center]

Comment

Hmm that does make sense. See there isnt a single relative of mine that lives out of state which is why I was wondering. And my family isnt exactly made of money where they could just hop a plane anytime.

Originally posted by Trethsparr View Post
      At the time I married, I was living in Washington, and my fiance was living in California. We ended up having the wedding in Washington because we agreed that, as the bride, I was doing the bulk of the planning, and it was more convenient to plan to have the wedding in my hometown where I was living. Both of us had family members who needed to travel to the location of the wedding.

Comment

We married in the USA with only my immediate family present and his family watched via Skype in Costa Rica. We planned to have a second party in Costa Rica, but now I sort of doubt that's going to happen.

Comment

If we get married, I would like to do it in his state, but in San Antonio which is a 5-6 hour drive from where he lives... so I guess not exactly easy for anyone... but since I've already been married I don't want a big wedding (and he doesn't either) and I feel that whoever is willing to travel, we will be happy to have around but make it clear that no one should feel obligated to come... Since no one would approve of our marriage anyways, I guess the turn out would be quite small... at least this way I can tell myself it's because of the travel... no other reason!
          First met online: June, 2010
          First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
          Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
          Third visit together: August, 2012
          Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
          Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
          Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
          Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

We are getting married in Indiana, in his home church. It makes more sense for us because there is no "home base" for my family. My family will have to travel no matter where we get married, so we figured it would be easier to just be married there. Plus, we would like to ultimately end up in Indiana.

Since you said your family may not be made of money to hop on a plane at any time, it may be in your best interest to, once you are engaged, plan on having a year+ long engagement. That way your family (or his, depending on where you choose to marry) can save for the necessary travel costs so they can be at your wedding.

Just want to point out though, that from what I have seen a large majority of couples have to figure this out because a lot of times they are from different states, even if they are CD now, they did not always live where they do now. (I'm not saying it's everyone, it's just a lot of people.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
            Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
            Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I'm personally having to figure this out now myself even though we are closing the distance soon. Luckily I have a little under a year and a half long engagement still to figure that out,but I'm leaning more towards getting married in Kentucky since that is where I am from and just about all of my family lives there. And since he has contact with very few people in his family there will probably be more of my family there anyway so to me right now it's just logical to do it in my home state. But that could very well change depending on whether or not we're living in Florida like we plan to be and if I can get someone to officiate the kind of wedding I'll be having.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
              Back Together: August 1,2012
              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
              Engaged: January 17,2013
              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

We married in my country. I got the feeling that generally weddings take place in the bride's hometown/where the bride's people are, but correlation doesn't equal causation so I might be wrong. If there are two brides however, I'd recommend Hawaii. Or New Zealand.
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                  I got the feeling that generally weddings take place in the bride's hometown/where the bride's people are, but correlation doesn't equal causation so I might be wrong. If there are two brides however, I'd recommend Hawaii. Or New Zealand.
                  Generally, yes. Except for those brides who's families live all over the place.... like mine. California, New Jersey, Texas, Minnesota, Colorado, Canada.... heh. (Oh, and me, in Virginia.) His? Indiana. Colorado, Illinois (and it's close enough into IL that it's basically IN). And a great-grandma in TX, but she's like, 97, and can't travel.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                    Generally, yes. Except for those brides who's families live all over the place.... like mine. California, New Jersey, Texas, Minnesota, Colorado, Canada.... heh. (Oh, and me, in Virginia.) His? Indiana. Colorado, Illinois (and it's close enough into IL that it's basically IN). And a great-grandma in TX, but she's like, 97, and can't travel.
                    Damn these people who think they can just live whereever they please! Don't they know how irritating it is when you're planning a wedding?

In all fairness, my family live all over the place too. But I figured seeming they didn't have to come from another country they could suck it up haha.
                    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Of the family I would invite to my wedding, they are all over the place as well. Guess they'll have to deal...or save me money on feeding them I guess. Many of my friends married recently have just gotten married where the couple resides/is closing the distance, even if their families don't live there.
                      ~~~

Comment

If we get married it'll be in the US.
                        Mostly because his family actually cares about this relationship while mine doesn't :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
                          Damn these people who think they can just live whereever they please! Don't they know how irritating it is when you're planning a wedding?

In all fairness, my family live all over the place too. But I figured seeming they didn't have to come from another country they could suck it up haha.
                          Hahahaha, it wouldn't be too much for me to ask them to all move to live in the same state so I could get married, would it?

Comment

Mine is in England- I have elderly relatives who can't travel for various health reasons, whereas his grandparents are all fit and wanted to travel out of the country at least once before they aren't as mobile anymore. I planned some of it whilst I was still living there, then got a planner to find the rest of the vendors I hadn't nailed down yet once I moved to the US. So far, it hasn't been that stressful planning from a distance. Just chasing up my last vendor to pay then I'm done till the big day!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

We got married in my husband's country, because that's where we've lived for the past 3.5 years. We were originally planning on doing a second ceremony in the States, but as time goes by, that is looking less and less likely. In fact, I'll be selling my never-worn American wedding dress soon *sniff*

Comment

Working...
                              X