Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long was it before you got engaged to your SO? And did your parents approve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long was it before you got engaged to your SO? And did your parents approve?

Im curious. I know many couples get engaged whenever they feel comfortable with the time frame. But Im also wondering..did your parents think it was too soon? Were they upset or were they fine with it? I think an engagement should last from 6 months to a year because I dont believe in long engagements unless circumstances call for it. My SO and I know we want to marry each other in the future sometime but we also know we cant marry soon until weve figured out all the jists of moving etc. Im just wondering.

We didn't really get engaged officially. We decided to get married. It was a secret for a while, and when we "came out" to our parents I think my SO's mom almost died in bliss. My mom said "I knew it!" By then we had been living together about 1.5 years and known each other 3.5 years.

Comment

OP, haven't you said like, 1400 times (I realize that's an exaggeration) that you're "too young" and "not ready for marriage" ? I have to ask because I feel like all you post about (or at least all of the posts I see from you) are about getting engaged. I understand you're excited, trust me, I know the feeling. But, I only bring it up because my SO & I had a conversation about this actually just last night, and how if a girl bugs a guy about it, often times he's less likely to do it because he's feeling pressured. So, my point here is that I hope you are just asking LFAD these questions right now - which, don't get me wrong, they're good questions to ask - and not really bugging him about it. Just a thought, since my SO has confessed that he was a little annoyed with me that I kept bringing it up.

That being said... We were together for nearly 2 years before he proposed. He asked my parents first so... I'm going to assume that they approved.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

We got engaged pretty early on, by many people's standards. We had been together about 4 months at that point. Then we ended up being engaged for 2.5 years which was not the original plan- but it didn't really matter to us.

Edit: I forgot to answer the "parental approval" question. My parents have always supported me, even when they don't think it's the best thing. They liked my SO but they worried about how different (culturally, religiously, etc) we were and, if it had been up to them, they would've preferred me waiting another 2 years before getting engaged.
        Last edited by mllebamako; June 18, 2013, 09:38 AM.

Comment

We're not going to get engaged, I guess in all technicality we are already engaged? As both our parents know we are getting married 2nd part of next year, no exact date yet but that's happening , fact. My parents are happy about it all and her parents are! (Her mum was so excited , it's going to be hard with her not at the wedding). by the time we tie the not it'll be around 1.5 years we've been together, and about half of that together in person.

"Buddha made you for me" - My SO

1st Met/Visit: Nov 2012 - Thailand
          2nd Visit: May 2013 - Thailand
          3rd Visit: Jun 2013 - Thailand
          4th Visit: Sep 2013 - Thailand
          5th Visit: Sep 2013 - Jan 2014 - UK
          6th Visit: Apr 2014 - Thailand - Marry
          7th Visit: Sept 14th 2014 - Thailand - Wedding Ceremony / Party
          Close the distance - Sept 21st 2014 - UK
          UK Wedding Party: November 8th 2014

Comment

I've often thought about this in all hoensty! Dont get me wrong i know my paresnts would be supportive of me but i know in the backs of there heads they will eb thinking ' Its a bit too soon ' LOL.

Regardless i know if Justin decides to propose he wont be doing it without asking for my parents permission sooooooo . if they didnt approve theyd tell him there and then.

Comment

We knew we wanted to get married after his visit (about 4 months after meeting online). But he officially proposed 4 months after we started dating. Yeah seems soon but we knew we'd have to wait a year before being together due to the K-1 Visa processing times.

My parents trust me and my decisions. I'm an adult and live on my own. They were happy that I found someone to love.

Met: November 19, 2010
              Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
              Made it official: April 29, 2011
              Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
              Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
              Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
              K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
              Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
              Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Two years, not including the + four years before we met in person. My parents are dead. But everyone else approved.

We were engaged just over a year because of visa issues, people needing to save for flights, moving internationally and family being dicks. It worked out well, I think a year is good. It's hard to plan a wedding I wouldn't want to do it with less than 7 months.
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

He proposed a little bit over our 2.5 year mark. He asked my parents for their blessing several months before the actual proposal, and they gave it to him. We were married 5 months later.

Comment

I often wondered about this! My parents were arranged, so they don't know too much about engagements and how to go about this kind of stuff. I feel like I'm going to be a young bride, just because this is kinda in the works. But I'm not really looking for it. I believe things happen for a reason and they happen when they happen.

First met: June 2012
                    Became Committed: June 04, 2012
                    Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
                    Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

We were semi engaged quite early in our relationship within 6 months of being a couple. But as we hadnt even met yet, we decided that although we loved each other and saw a future together we wouldnt be official or tell anyone.
                      We Officially became engaged on our first anniversary, just shy of a month after our first meeting. We got married 19 months later, would have been sooner but we had some issues sorting out the logistics of it.
                      Both sets of parents approved but we're adults and i have children so approval is not something we were bothered about, it's awesome that we get on with each others parents but if they had any issues it wouldnt have changed anything.
                      As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I've been thinking about it sometimes and I suppose we'll have to wait a little longer before we'll get engaged. He wants it to be natural and not rushed so I think it could happen in about half a year, maybe a year. This prolonged visit now (and the 90 day visit in October) is going to make us see if we can live together and not be bored out of our minds or hate it being together.

His parents (his dad and wife; his brother-in-law's mom and husband) will approve almost certain, because they like me a lot and are happy for him finally finding someone he loves and truely cares about.
                        I am not so sure about my parents. They have been against this relationship the first time I came here.. this time around they have been a little more supportive, but they don't really like it, so I am not sure if they approved.. maybe..

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

We got engaged almost 1.5 years after first dating, which is about a year and 2 months after first meeting.
                          We're slowly telling family and no one seems to think it's "too soon" as long as we wait to get married.
                          So, our engagement will be about a year-ish long. And now that my family drama is over, and we're not being kicked out, this is doable.

First Met Online: October 2010
                          First Confessed Feelings: December 21, 2011
                          Became a "Couple": January 7, 2012
                          First Meeting: March 9-14, 2012
                          Second Meeting: July 16-31, 2012
                          Closed the Distance: May 30, 2013
                          Engaged!: June 1, 2013
                          Picking out wedding dates now!

Comment

He proposed to me 1 year 3 months after our first meeting in person/our "anniversary" (which we consider to officially be the day we first met in person) - so that doesn't include the 2+ years that we knew each other online before meeting him face to face.

We will be getting married 2 years 6 months to the day of our anniversary/first day we met each other face to face. so we will have been engaged a bit over a year by then - with all the visa processing/trying to plan the wedding for when you KNOW you'll have the visa it's pretty hard to 'make sure' you'll actually be able to get married on a particular day.. So I'm really happy we got to choose a day that actually does mean something to us.

as for the parents - My SO asked my parents beforehand and they were good with it/expecting it. He also told his parents before he proposed to me and his parents were really unhappy about it, if I remember correctly; he told me that his mother cried (not good tears) when he told her.

It's pretty crazy to think that I'll have known this kid about 5 years when we get married
                            Met Online: February 2009
                            Feelings grew: January 2011
                            First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                            Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                            Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                            Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                            Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                            Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                            Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                            Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                            Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                            Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                            Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                            Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                            Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                            Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

The night a said yes!

I said yes when we knew we had another 7 months of LDR left right after our one year anniversary! My parents are thrilled and I can't wait to marry the love of my life!

Comment

Working...
                              X