Engaged!! ...Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engaged!! ...Now what?

Hurray! The love of my life popped the question a few weeks ago, and tomorrow we go to pick out a ring!

But now the big question for us is: now what do we do? I'll be immigrating from Canada to the USA, and we're hoping to have the wedding in Canada. I know the USA has a fiance visa if you get married there, but does Canada have the same thing? And when do I start filling out the spousal visa paperwork for my immigration? Am I allowed living with him while I do that, or will I be married and living in my parent's basement until I wait for it to go through? We're trying hard to get all of our research done, but I've always found the researching of visas to be overwhelming. So if anyone has suggestions of what to do, or even where I should be looking, that would be ridiculously amazing.

USA visas- https://www.visajourney.com/

Comment

Congrats on the engagement!

I guess I'm a bit confused about your situation. Why would your SO need a fiance visa for Canada if you guys are planning on moving to the US? If you want the wedding to be in Canada, can't he just fly over, have the wedding, and then he can hang out there with you for, I believe, up to 6 months without a Canadian visa while you guys start filling out your US spousal visa paperwork. Then, I guess you'd probably have to wait in Canada (unless you got a US visitor visa) while the spousal visa finishes processing.
      Did that help? Or more confusing?

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
        I guess I'm a bit confused about your situation. Why would your SO need a fiance visa for Canada if you guys are planning on moving to the US? If you want the wedding to be in Canada, can't he just fly over, have the wedding, and then he can hang out there with you for, I believe, up to 6 months without a Canadian visa while you guys start filling out your US spousal visa paperwork. Then, I guess you'd probably have to wait in Canada (unless you got a US visitor visa) while the spousal visa finishes processing.
        Did that help? Or more confusing?
        Unfortunately he wouldn't be able to stay in Canada for that long due to work, but yes, it is possible to stay in the country for 6 months without a visa The only reason why I'm confused about whether or not he would need a visa to get married here is because I know you need a fiancee visa for the USA, if you are getting married there. (with the USA fiancee visa, you have to get married in the States within 90 days of getting the visa).

Comment

I think you're confused. You need a fiancé visa to LIVE in the USA. You just need a passport to get married there. My SO and I married in the USA.

Comment

I didnt need to visa to marry my husband in Alberta, Canada, im from the UK.
            As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
              I think you're confused. You need a fiancé visa to LIVE in the USA. You just need a passport to get married there. My SO and I married in the USA.
              Word. People can come get married in the US without the intent to immigrate (think: destination weddings in Hawaii or Vegas, etc).

Comment

If you still confused on what to do, I strongly recommend contacting the US Embassy in Canada or the Embassy of Canada in the US, you can send them emails if you prefer. Those are the ones who can clearly tell you what you need.

I had to contact the Italian consul in Puerto Rico a few times as the information I found around the web was overwhelming, not clear and absolutely confusing! After the conversation and doing a check list of everything I needed, we are getting married soon!

In the meanwhile, breathe and stay calm!! Congratulations, by the way!!
                Maybe someone with more experience can shine a light on you...these are just my 2 cents!

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                  I very definitely may be confused. The information I had found seemed to imply that I needed it to actually get the visa to get married, but they way you describe it makes WAY more sense. We still want the wedding to be in Canada either way though, because if it's held in the USA, 90% of my family doesn't have passports, while most of his family travels a lot.

Comment

The type of visa you will need to go to the US will depend on your relationship status, and you will need a visa. See this chart: https://www.visajourney.com/content/compare .

If you go for the K-1 visa you legally cannot get married anywhere until you have that visa and you are married within the US. If you want to get married in Canada and immigrate after you will need a different visa altogether.

You don't need any sort of visa to get married in Canada, only if you plan to get married in the US, or to go there after you're married.

Visajourney.com has everything on it you could imagine and will be your best resource. If you have any questions you can send me a message and I might be able to help you. I'm also Canadian and my fiance is American.

Comment

Congratulations on your engagement As others have said, I definately recommend checking out visajourney.com
                      ~Shaunna~

*Distance isn't an obstacle when it comes to love, but rather a great reminder on just how strong true love can be*

We're engaged 2014 - save $$, 2015 - get married, 2016 - make the big move!

Comment

I don't know much about visas and stuff, but congrats on your engagement !

Comment

Working...
                        X