Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage out of necessity?

Hi there!

I know some of you are from different countries and it's not always easy to close the distance because you are not eligible for a visa or things like that.
    What do you guys think about marriage to get into a different country?

Been there, done that. the way I see it, it's not really a necessity. You get married because you want to be together. That's basically the reason most "normal" couples get married, isn't it?

If you are in a real, serious relationship, and marriage allows you to live together legally, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I think it might seems like the easiest solution of closing the distance, moving to a different country with marriage. But on the other hand, marriage sure is a big step. Maybe there are other (temporary) options out there. You might want to stay with your partner for say 2 months, 3 months ( not sure how long you are allowed to stay in a different country), go back for awhile and so on. Yet that is super expensive.

I'm sure there are people out there who do this, and might end up being really happy with their lives but... I don't know... but I can't help but wonder "What if you break up with that person" and "What if you don't like that country as much after all".

How do you feel about it?
      You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

Hmm beg your pardon? I'm not sure what you mean. Usually when you need a visa for a short stay (less than 90 days) to any country, you are judged on your own livelihood and means, not on whether you are married to a citizen or resident from that country.
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
          Hmm beg your pardon? I'm not sure what you mean. Usually when you need a visa for a short stay (less than 90 days) to any country, you are judged on your own livelihood and means, not on whether you are married to a citizen or resident from that country.
          The restrictions are different for different countries. I can go to the US, Mexico and the UK for up to three months without a visa. I always made the assumption that the tourist visa's were for "high risk" countries.
          Last edited by digitalfever; August 21, 2013, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Ok, Mellow edited her post and now mine doesn't make any sense. Good job!

digitalfever: I am aware that there are several countries that have agreements so that citizens can travel visa-free. Mellow said that there are countries that "you cannot enter unless you are married some someone who lives/works there", which implies that a visa is necessary. Hence my answer.

Btw, when I say visa I mean short-stay visa, not residence permit.

Comment

Yeah I can enter the US for 90 days with a tourist visa and then I have to 'stay away' for 90 days until I can enter again.

Well of course you wouldn't take that step if you weren't sure about your relationship but maybe you want to save up a little more for your wedding and want to wait a couple years, then it is a necessity to marry to get into the country earlier, no?

Comment

Originally posted by USofSam View Post
                Hi there!

I know some of you are from different countries and it's not always easy to close the distance because you are not eligible for a visa or things like that.
                What do you guys think about marriage to get into a different country?
                We did it and thought nothing of it. We wanted to be together and we took the steps to be together.

Met: November 19, 2010
                Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
                Made it official: April 29, 2011
                Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
                Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
                Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
                K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
                Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
                Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                  Ok, Mellow edited her post and now mine doesn't make any sense. Good job!

digitalfever: I am aware that there are several countries that have agreements so that citizens can travel visa-free. Mellow said that there are countries that "you cannot enter unless you are married some someone who lives/works there", which implies that a visa is necessary. Hence my answer.

Btw, when I say visa I mean short-stay visa, not residence permit.

Ah, I meant as in living there, so sorry for the confusion! Should've put it more clearly. I thought I removed that part quickly after posting it anyway xD I read your first comment the wrong way, missed a key word or two.

Comment

No worries Yeah, it all makes sense now

Comment

My SO "moved" to the USA to be with me for 6 months on his B-2 visitor visa. Then I moved to CR to be with him. We got married to move back to the USA together. If we didn't need to be married to move to the USA together would we have done it? Yeah, eventually. Neither of us were rushing to get married, we mainly did it at that time for visa purposes. Of course we love each other and everything, but neither of us saw marriage as something that *needed* to be done. Until visa stuff of course!

Comment

Okay great ^_^ I will make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

USofSam said
                        Well of course you wouldn't take that step if you weren't sure about your relationship but maybe you want to save up a little more for your wedding and want to wait a couple years, then it is a necessity to marry to get into the country earlier, no?
                        Mhnmh, I think that could be a possibility too. Like, marriage on paper, but not with the official wedding included?
                        If you seperate though, wouldn't you have to get a divorce?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow View Post

USofSam said

Mhnmh, I think that could be a possibility too. Like, marriage on paper, but not with the official wedding included?
                          In the US (and probably most other places) a wedding is completely unnecessary. If you sign and file your wedding license, and a judge says the words, you're married. Without that though, there is no marriage, which means no visa. You would have to get divorced.
                          Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow View Post

USofSam said

Yeah when studying wasn't an option for us yet, we considered getting married on paper and do the ceremony when we have saved up enough but it just wouldn't be the same I think :/ also some people don't really want to get married and they would have to if that would be the only way to get into the country :o I would be happy to marry but I know quite some people who don't :o

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                              In the US (and probably most other places) a wedding is completely unnecessary. If you sign and file your wedding license, and a judge says the words, you're married. Without that though, there is no marriage, which means no visa. You would have to get divorced.
                              In CO where we got married you don't even need a judge! Or witnesses! Like my SO says- to get married in Colorado, all you need is balls.

(and to not be a same-sex couple, unfortunately)

Comment

Working...
                              X