Wedding bands - do you have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding bands - do you have one?

Just replied to lucybelle's thread asking what finger other people wear their wedding/engagement ring. It reminded me of something I've been undecided about for a while.

Because my engagement ring has a pear shaped opal, I wondered if it would look weird to have a wedding band also.

So I was wondering, is there anyone out there that just wears their engagement ring and no wedding band? I know some people do this, just wondering if anyone here does too.

If not, what did you do for the exchange of rings during the ceremony?
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

My wedding band is at his house, but once we say the words I'll have it on my hand. My engagement ring is a twisty sort of band, and the band fits alongside the e-ring's band and matches the twisty style.

If you want to get a band to go with your ring, I would look into a simple plain (metal color/type of your choice) band. Your e-ring sounds gorgeous, and sometimes the wedding bands can distract from the beauty of the e-ring. Just thoughts.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
    Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
    Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I loved my engagement ring, but there was no way it was going to look good with a wedding band. It had a really unique shape and I tried several bands with it and they just didn't work. My SO and I found a wedding band that I loved so decided to get that and put away my engagement ring for safe keeping (Well, it ended up getting stolen by the cleaning lady soooo not-so-safe keeping).

Comment

Mine is one ring.........love it....
        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

I'm not a big fan of engagement rings, to be honest. I guess it stems from the fact that engagement aren't really a thing where I come from, and my SO didn't propose (nor did I expect him to) and anyway, my current engagement ring is a replacement one that he got me after our wedding, since I had lost the first one. I could easily wear it with my wedding band since it's a thin band with a small amethyst on, and I do sometimes, but I usually stick to wearing my wedding band, which I'm crazy about.

And frankly, wearing the combo doesn't look too good to me. Like an overload of jewelry on one finger. I really like the look of just the wedding band.
          I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I have a plain white gold wedding band which I wear at all times- I only wear my engagement ring when I remember to put it on! My Engagement ring is pretty straight (3 stone, round cut), so my rings fit together nicely when I do wear them, and I think they look good together, with the band being so plain in contrast to the e-ring. If they were both blinged out I'd wear one or the other as I don't like too much bedazzlement to begin with

You can always try to see if there's a ring which is bent to fit with a pear-shaped stone, but if it doesn't look right, I don't see why you can't just stick with your engagement ring. As for what to do in the ceremony- people to it in vow renewals all the time- you just take your ring off for the morning and exchange them back again during the ceremony.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
              My wedding band is at his house, but once we say the words I'll have it on my hand. My engagement ring is a twisty sort of band, and the band fits alongside the e-ring's band and matches the twisty style.

If you want to get a band to go with your ring, I would look into a simple plain (metal color/type of your choice) band. Your e-ring sounds gorgeous, and sometimes the wedding bands can distract from the beauty of the e-ring. Just thoughts.
              That sounds really pretty! I was thinking that too, just getting a simple band since my engagement ring is intricately shaped. I love my ring to death, so I want that to be the main one. Maybe I'll go by some jewelry stores and see what looks good.
              Thanks for the suggestion! Good idea
              sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Originally posted by mllebamako View Post
                I loved my engagement ring, but there was no way it was going to look good with a wedding band. It had a really unique shape and I tried several bands with it and they just didn't work. My SO and I found a wedding band that I loved so decided to get that and put away my engagement ring for safe keeping (Well, it ended up getting stolen by the cleaning lady soooo not-so-safe keeping).
                Oh no I'm sorry that happened to you but that's something I'm concerned about. I'm so bad with keeping up with rings in particular, if I'm not wearing it at all times I will lose it one way or another.
                sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                  I'm not a big fan of engagement rings, to be honest. I guess it stems from the fact that engagement aren't really a thing where I come from, and my SO didn't propose (nor did I expect him to) and anyway, my current engagement ring is a replacement one that he got me after our wedding, since I had lost the first one. I could easily wear it with my wedding band since it's a thin band with a small amethyst on, and I do sometimes, but I usually stick to wearing my wedding band, which I'm crazy about.

And frankly, wearing the combo doesn't look too good to me. Like an overload of jewelry on one finger. I really like the look of just the wedding band.
                  Your wedding band has an amethyst? That sounds so pretty I love that. I would like to have my fiance's birthstone on my wedding band and mine on his, but because my engagement ring has an opal and two blue topazes on it I feel like another color would look gaudy. Plus my birthstone is opal or pink tourmaline so idk how my fiance would feel about that lol.

I think it takes a certain type of band to look good with an engagement ring. I love those skinny ones with diamonds down the band, they're so small they could be paired with anything I feel.
                  sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Oh sorry for the confusion, my engagement ring has an amethyst on it, not my wedding ring. The latter is a white gold band with tiny X's engraved all around it.
                    I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Yea that's my issue, my e-ring has a lot going on, I don't want to look too colorful like costume jewelry lol.

That's something else I was considering - not even having a band. I've only been to one wedding, and I was really young so idk how certain things go lol. Thank you for clearing that up for me, I'll see what the SO has to say about it. I definitely want to focus on his ring, I want him to have a really nice ring too
                      sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

I'm just going to wear my wedding band on the other hand. Problem solved.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by ushiwakafox View Post
                          Yea that's my issue, my e-ring has a lot going on, I don't want to look too colorful like costume jewelry lol.

That's something else I was considering - not even having a band. I've only been to one wedding, and I was really young so idk how certain things go lol. Thank you for clearing that up for me, I'll see what the SO has to say about it. I definitely want to focus on his ring, I want him to have a really nice ring too
                          IIRC, Lucybelle wears the ring her SO proposed with as a wedding ring. I don't think it's weird at all to just stick to your engagement ring and you should definitely do that

Comment

Off topic but when you said wedding bands, I definitely thought you meant a musical band

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                              IIRC, Lucybelle wears the ring her SO proposed with as a wedding ring. I don't think it's weird at all to just stick to your engagement ring and you should definitely do that
                              I'm definitely taking serious consideration, it's so pretty on its own, I wouldn't want anything to draw attention away from it. I probably will end up just using my e-ring as my wedding ring.
                              sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...