Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Rings - Engraving

You all know I'm planning a wedding and summerkid's thread got me thinking:

What do you have engraved in your wedding rings?
    On the inside or the outside?
    Do you have the same text in both rings?

We have part of the quote in my signature in ours
    "zawsze tam, gdzie Ty"
    which is a quote from a song and means "forever where you are". I love the quote and I think it relates to our long distance history (but not only) and it's not too cheesy to get sick of it.
    We decided against our names or the wedding date because I know my SOs name and our wedding date isn't that important to us I guess.
    Besides I never call him by his real name anyway. I know what he has written in his passport but it doesn't mean anything to me (if that makes sense).
    It would feel weird to have that in the ring :-/

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

In mine is "In your hand you hold my heart" and the date. Which comes from something he said to me when we hadn't met yet, and because hands are very important to me. I'm odd, I know.
    His is "Closer than it seemed" and the date. This is from a poem he wrote for me when we were kids which was titled "Closer than it seems" in which he dreamed about what it would be like to actually be together and not have to say goodbye, it was my inspiration for years.
    The date is because one day these rings will be handed down, not because we need it. Though it might help seeming he's got the memory of a sieve.
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

(I just had to check my SO's wedding ring to remember what we got engraved! )

My SO's ring is engraved on the inside and says "[his name] & [my name]"

My ring is not "solid" enough to get engraved. It's got lots of holes and I don't think an engraving would look very nice.

Comment

We didn't get ours engraved, sad day. Mainly because the rings he picked out for me have super thin bands (which was awesome of him because I have teeny hands). Maybe one day I'll buy him a new ring for an anniversary and engrave it...

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I really like your quote, Dziubka!
          Mine has "I love you" engraved in his language. His doesn't have one because we weren't sure on his ring size and wanted to be able to return it. Then the ocean stole it from him anyway!

Comment

We don't have wedding bands yet but I figured we'd have each other's names engraved in them.
            I should talk to my man about it

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I don't plan on getting my ring engraved, I don't know if he does with his though, but I doubt it.

Comment

Funny you should mention that, I'm having a small problem with this very subject.

We never got our rings engraved because we bought them too late. When we got them we asked the shop and they said they would be ready by Friday, but Friday was the wedding day, and we were leaving the city where we got the ring the day after, anyway. So we put it off.

Now, we want to engrave them both, preferably before my next visit, but we have no idea. We'd like something romantic and meaningful, of course, but...

I suggested we just go with my name on his and his name on mine, but he said let's just think about it some more. Still nothing. Ugh.
                I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

We're are very boring. Since our wedding rings only have "Hiro & Isa" engraved. I hadn't any good ideas back then and I hadn't given engraving any thought at all.

Comment

TwoThree
                    I considered "So close, no matter how far" as an option, but seeing as we don't communicate in English it didn't feel "right". It sounds weird translated in either of our languages, too.
                    And for a short time we wanted to get something in German for my husband to be, but I couldn't think of anything and the Polish phrase tanslated would either make no sense at all or be so long he'd need to get a bracelet

Milaya:
                    Out of curiosity: Do you have Japanese or Latin letters?

I sort of like the idea of getting fingerprints or soundwaves, too. I think this is pretty cool.
                    Or handwriting, I want to do that once we "uprade" our rings
                    Last edited by Dziubka; September 17, 2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

We could only get latin letters. I guess it's too hard for the engraving machines to write Japanese, since all I ever see (necklaces, rings and other engraved things) are always with latin letters. I would have preferred Japanese if the option was there, since Japanese looks prettier XD

Comment

Originally posted by milaya View Post
                        We could only get latin letters. I guess it's too hard for the engraving machines to write Japanese, since all I ever see (necklaces, rings and other engraved things) are always with latin letters. I would have preferred Japanese if the option was there, since Japanese looks prettier XD
                        I think with laser engraving, you can get pretty much anything you can imagine. I mean if you can get fingerprints, you should be able to get other alphabets.

I saw this on a wedding forum the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dziubka View Post
                          I think with laser engraving, you can get pretty much anything you can imagine. I mean if you can get fingerprints, you should be able to get other alphabets.

I saw this on a wedding forum the other day.
                          True.
                          I wonder why I've never seen it in Japan. I also searched the internet for a necklace engraved with my Japanese last name in Japanese. Nothing. I guess the Chinese people prefer characters over latin letters (the ring you posted) - where's Japanese people have an huge obsession with latin letters and anything that looks to be in English.

Anyway, if I could get an engraving in Japanese (an reddo ours) I think I would like to get: 貴方がいるだけで (Anata ga iru dake de). Means: you just being here (or you just existing). Comes from a song where the full line is: anata ga iru dake de egao afureru. (you just being here makes me smile. )

Not the most beautiful thing, but I used that line on him during our first year of dating and he got so overjoyed, even when I later told him it was just a song lyric he wouldn't let it go. So we often use "You just being here... [adding something]".
                          Last edited by milaya; September 17, 2013, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                            Funny you should mention that, I'm having a small problem with this very subject.

We never got our rings engraved because we bought them too late. When we got them we asked the shop and they said they would be ready by Friday, but Friday was the wedding day, and we were leaving the city where we got the ring the day after, anyway. So we put it off.

Now, we want to engrave them both, preferably before my next visit, but we have no idea. We'd like something romantic and meaningful, of course, but...

I suggested we just go with my name on his and his name on mine, but he said let's just think about it some more. Still nothing. Ugh.
                            I still think it is an amazing idea to engrave the long- and latitude of either the place where you met or the place you gor married with a date.
                            Not that I am anywhere near getting married
                            "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

When we stared talking about engraving them , the conversation went something like this:
                              SO:" what should we have engraved on them? it should be something important, and timeless"
                              Me: "Eppur si muove"! haha

He still laughs about this.

Comment

Working...
                              X