Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Code question

We're having our wedding party in under a month! I'm very excited

I've already invited my friends but I'm sending out a more formal invitation for the hell of it. On it I'm trying to decide how to word dress code. We're having a photographer, so I'd like for people to be at least business casual. I don't expect suits and ties and cocktail dresses, but I'd like people to come in nice jeans or slacks and a button up. Also some of my friends coming are really liberal and I have a feeling if I put a dress code they'll get all high and mighty on me. Not that that matters so much.

Anyways. The invitation is very lighthearted and I'm trying to figure out how to say "wear something decent please".

Ideas, thoughts? This is what I have right now, I sort of thought if I put people can come very fancy then they're more likely to come fancy than not. It sounds like the ladies of my SO's family plan to come in cocktail dresses. I don't care if dress code "clashes" (some wear cocktail, some more casual), but I don't want people wearing jeans with holes in it. Ya know?

"A year ago [SO] and [me] got married in the USA. It was great, but we didn’t get to celebrate with our Costa Rican family and friends! So please join us to celebrate at our wedding party! You can dress as casual or as fancy as you please. Dinner will be served which will include three drinks of your choice. After those three you’ll have to dig in your pocket if you want more. We will also have a band so bring your dancing shoes!"

Thanks!

I think the "or as fancy" takes care of it. What's the venue like? Maybe a cute little line describing the setting would be helpful for picking out an outfit?

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGirl View Post
      I think the "or as fancy" takes care of it. What's the venue like? Maybe a cute little line describing the setting would be helpful for picking out an outfit?
      I think the "or as fancy" takes care of the fact that you want them in more formal clothes, but you also say "As casual" which might lead some guests to believe it's fine to show up in holey jeans and a sweatshirt...

What if you phrased it something like... "Dress up with us and say cheese for the pictures". Just a little something to show them that there will be a photographer and you want everyone to look nice.
      Last edited by Kristin91; January 6, 2014, 12:02 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Oooh Kristen, I like that line!

Or maybe I just say "you can dress as fancy as you please" and leave out the casual part?

I like Kristen's line better...

Comment

I would change the "dress as casual as you would like" as you might actually get that!

I'm having trouble getting the right wording, but something like, "dress to impress, but comfortably!"

edit: saw the other replies after posting- including a note about the photographer is a good way!

Comment

I agree with Kristin and was trying to find a good formula to include the fact there will be a photographer

LB, it's going to be the party of the year!!
            Don't be dismayed at goodbyes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again.
            And meeting again, after moments or lifetime, is certain for those who are friends.
            ~Richard Bach

“Always,” said Snape.

Comment

Changed it to this:

"A year ago [SO] and [me] got married in the USA. It was great, but we didn’t get to celebrate with our Costa Rican family and friends! So please join us to celebrate at our wedding party! Dinner will be served which will include three drinks of your choice. After those three you’ll have to dig in your pocket if you want more. Dress up with us and bring your pearly whites for the photographer! We will also have a band so bring your dancing shoes!"

Comment

I want to add in about dress because the place we're having it is fairly casual. I mean at night it looks more fancy because you can see the whole valley, but most people come to the restaurant in jeans/t-shirt.

Comment

My cousin had a country wedding and wanted to convey the same idea (not too casual but no pressure to be fancy) so she said something like, "From cowboy cocktail chic to fancy farmer". I don't know if there is a way you could interpret that to make sense for your venue/CR.

Or Kristin's line...that's good too.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    Changed it to this:

"A year ago [SO] and [me] got married in the USA. It was great, but we didn’t get to celebrate with our Costa Rican family and friends! So please join us to celebrate at our wedding party! Dinner will be served which will include three drinks of your choice. After those three you’ll have to dig in your pocket if you want more. Dress up with us and bring your pearly whites for the photographer! We will also have a band so bring your dancing shoes!"
                    Saw this after I replied. Looks good!! Are most of your friends fluent English speakers? I feel like "pearly whites" could be confusing.

Comment

The ones I'm sending this to are my English speaking friends so it won't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                        Changed it to this:

I like this. Good luck, and I hope we get to see some pics!

Comment

I like the edits!

Comment

Love the edited version! Have fun at your party

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X