Destination Beach Weddings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destination Beach Weddings

Hoepfully this hasn't already been posted...I tried searching but didn't really find a topic about it.

I am planning a destination beach wedding. I am so overwhelmed by all the choices. I have looked at the dominican republic, jamaca, several places in the carribean and mexico. So has anyone had a beach destination wedding that they loved? Where did you go and where did you stay? It will just be the two of us so we aren't looking for a fancy wedding but more of an all inclusive place where we can get married on the beach and then spend the rest of the week relaxing and enjoying time with each other.

Did you consider Hawaii?

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

We didn't do a destination wedding, but a friend of mine went to St Lucia for their wedding. Make sure you have a "Plan B" for the ceremony in case the weather is bad.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
      Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
      Progress: Working on it.

Comment

I'm not sure, but you might want to take into consideration the marriage laws of each country- some make it really complicated to register your marriage back in your home country etc So that might help you knock out some places- I wouldn't want to deal with an over-complicated process on returning back from a relaxing honeymoon!

My Uncle and his wife got married in Jamaica, they said it was great if you don't mind sticking to the resorts- they said it was a bit scary if you left them without a guide.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
          I'm not sure, but you might want to take into consideration the marriage laws of each country- some make it really complicated to register your marriage back in your home country etc So that might help you knock out some places- I wouldn't want to deal with an over-complicated process on returning back from a relaxing honeymoon!

My Uncle and his wife got married in Jamaica, they said it was great if you don't mind sticking to the resorts- they said it was a bit scary if you left them without a guide.
          I think in most of the place like Mexico and Jamaica that is the case you must stay in the resort area. We are okay with that.

Most of the larger resorts tell how to the get it finalized in the US. If we have to just do the ceremony at the resort and have it finalized in the us that is fine. It is our second marriage so we just want a small service for us if we have to get legally married at the courthouse in the US later that is fine.

Comment

If you marry at/through the embassy you don't have to do much else.
            I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
            - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post

This is something I'd look into as well. Not just the complication of getting it registered, but the way you have to get married. For example, here in CR to get married you must be married by a lawyer or priest and they have to read you a whole bunch of sexist legal shit that was written 100 years ago or whatever. It takes like 30 minutes just to read through it all and it's awful.

Comment

My best friend and her husband did a destination wedding here https://www.aventura-palace.com/ and it was gorgeous. It was an adults only all inclusive resort and we all had a wonderful time. They actually did a quick courthouse wedding a few weeks before their wedding in Mexico due to the hoops they were having to jump to get a license in Mexico. They only celebrate their wedding day anniversary and consider that they day they were actually married instead of the legal date. You might consider that as an option as well.

Comment

It wasn't a destination wedding for us, though some of our guests thought of it that way.

We got married here at Balmoral Beach, Sydney, Australia:

Please note this isn't my wedding. I'm much too lazy to upload a photo.

Our celebrant encouraged us not to do it directly on the sand for a variety of reasons (mostly because it's harder for the guests to hear stuff), but we could have, if I didn't love my high heels so much. Anyway I loved it, and Sydney's got a lot of options for tourist couples.

With that said, the best beaches in the world are possibly those found in the Whitsunday Islands, QLD Australia. This is where we went for our honeymoon, but lots of people do destination weddings there, it's super easy to get packages and such. I kind of wish I'd thought to get married here myself.

It really does look like that, BTW, the colours are that vivid in real life.

Seeming Nicole mentioned it (coz she's smart ) to marry in Oz you need to give one month's written notice (it's a really simple form, google "Notice of Intent to Marry"), and you need to have two witnesses over the age of 18 who are supposed to know you, you're not really allowed to just find some randoms on the beach. There are plenty of Aussies on LFAD who'd be happy to sign for you I'm sure, if it came to that though. You also need a ETA (electronic travel authority) to enter the country. It's $20, you get it online two weeks before you fly over. Easy.
                  Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

My brother got Married at RIU resort in Negril, Jamaica. It was an all-inclusive and we had a great time, it was the best wedding I've ever attended. He looked at Mexico, but you had to get everything translated, which wasn't the case in Jamaica. Now, the resort and area he chose were great, but since most of the all inclusives do weddings, I'd recommend looking in Ocho Rios, it's stunningly gorgeous, I couldn't believe what a paradise it was. Also, since it's just the two of you, choose an adults only resort. There are two types though, ones centered more on romance (like Sandals) and others that are more based on "adult entertainment" (like Hedonism), so pay attention to the resort descriptions

Good luck, if you have any questions, I've been to Jamaica a few times, feel free to PM me.
                    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                      If you marry at/through the embassy you don't have to do much else.
                      A bit of an off-topic question, but are there countries where people do actually get married at embassies? From my limited knowledge, embassies only interfere to provide necessary documents for the marriage license. I didn't think you could actually get married there.
                      I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
                        A bit of an off-topic question, but are there countries where people do actually get married at embassies? From my limited knowledge, embassies only interfere to provide necessary documents for the marriage license. I didn't think you could actually get married there.
                        I guess she means the town hall/mairie/insert-Scandinavian-equivalent-here?

Comment

Folly Beach, South Carolina, USA is a laid back, quiet beach. The main hotel there is Tides, and they help with planning a beach wedding. You can get married on the beach there. You can google it. It's a popular place for weddings, and I've seen beautiful beaches. I've stayed at Tides and loved it. There are several quaint restaurants within walking distance, and Tides has a beautiful restaurant, too. They can assist with most everything for the wedding, except the license which you can get easily in Charleston, SC.

Hope you find the perfect spot for your wedding. Good luck.

Comment

You don't marry through the embassy (at least not here). You get married then have to register the marriage at the embassy. And that's the sucky, annoying part.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                              You get married then have to register the marriage at the embassy. And that's the sucky, annoying part.
                              That depends on the country. I got married in Mali and asked at the US Embassy if I needed to do anything to register it and they said no.

The United States, with a federal type of government, does not maintain a central registry of family relationships. This responsibility largely falls to the states, most of which maintain their own records of birth, death and marriage when these take place within their borders. The Department of State maintains records related to American citizens who are born or die abroad, but there is no organization or department in the United States that tracks marriages involving U.S. citizens that take place outside the U.S.

The general recommendation we make in the American Citizen Services Unit is that American citizens who are married overseas maintain an original or certified copy of their foreign marriage document along with a notarized translation or authentication. While there is no requirement to report your overseas marriage to U.S. authorities, you may be required to submit evidence of the marriage for tax purposes, to petition for immigration status for your spouse, or for a variety of other official purposes.
                              I got that from the US Embassy in South Korea's website, but the same idea applies.

Comment

Working...
                              X