Should I do it again ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I do it again ??

Last night I proposed to my girlfriend over the phone she said yes but I feel like it's something that should've been done in person. Should I propose again in person or am I just think thinking about this too much

Originally posted by Hayden View Post
    Last night I proposed to my girlfriend over the phone she said yes but I feel like it's something that should've been done in person. Should I propose again in person or am I just think thinking about this too much
    Just over the phone? In a spontaneous moment? Nothing wrong with that, but it might be nice to plan a romantic date with her, on Skype video call, more personal, and wouldn't it mean more if you could see her reaction, and she could enjoy the moment with you?

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

If you want to do it again, in person, then go for it! Can't hurt and I bet she would like it!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
      Married April 18th, 2015!!
      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Congrats on your engagement

If you want to have a do-over in person and if you feel like it is something she would appreciate, then by all means, go ahead and plan a romantic proposal. It would be even better if she doesn't expect it at all.

However, it takes nothing out of your initial proposal, imo. Spontaneity is the best!
        I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Am I the only one that thinks he did it too soon??? I'm massively concerned about this.

Relationship began
          04/16/2014

Unless I'm reading it wrong or the date was put in wrong, but April till now?!?!? That's freaking not even 4 months of dating. You cannot decide you want to marry someone in that amount of time. You haven't even met, I'm assuming? Marriage is supposed to be forever, but people play around with it like it's a game which then ruins it for others that take it seriously. My boyfriend doesn't even want to get married again because of a game player like that. So even if we do go the distance, there's a chance I will not make it to wife status. You haven't lived with her. Probably never met her. Not even gone on a real date face to face and not over Skype. You should be dating way longer than four months before asking someone to spend the rest of their life with you.
          Last edited by lilspitfire; August 7, 2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyDean View Post
            Am I the only one that thinks he did it too soon??? I'm massively concerned about this.

Relationship began
            04/16/2014

Unless I'm reading it wrong or the date was put in wrong, but April till now?!?!? That's freaking not even 4 months of dating. You cannot decide you want to marry someone in that amount of time. You haven't even met, I'm assuming? Marriage is supposed to be forever, but people play around with it like it's a game which then ruins it for others that take it seriously. My boyfriend doesn't even want to get married again because of a game player like that. So even if we do go the distance, there's a chance I will not make it to wife status. You haven't lived with her. Probably never met her. Not even gone on a real date face to face and not over Skype. You should be dating way longer than four months before asking someone to spend the rest of their life with you.

Meh.. what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

My parents dated for 6 weeks before they got engaged. (And no, not shotgun wedding!
            Then had four kids and were happily married for 15 years. Spent a couple years after that being stressed about money (4 kids gets expensive! And both parents got laid off at various points in time) and arguing over it, separated for awhile, dated other people but stayed friendly, realized that money wasn't a great reason to end things when everything else had always been good, and got back together for a couple years before my dad had some unexpected heart problems and passed away.

While I'd probably never accept an engagement after 6 weeks (or 4 months) for some that might work fine.
            Besides, we don't know if the OP and partner knew each other prior to the relationship actually starting, etc.

Comment

The OP didn't ask about our opinions on that either.
              While I might think that it's silly to get engaged after 4 months, it really doesn't matter here.
              Being engaged doesn't really have any legal consequences, so I don't think it's necessary to "warn" the OP either.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Well, if you already asked her and she said yes, I don't really see the point of ASKING her again. That doesn't mean you can't do something special for her, but I would not pop the question again. Yes means yes.
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

OP, I think that if you want to have the experience of being together and proposing, you should totally do it.

differentcountries, it's not really so much about actually having her answer again, because nearly all proposals are done long after a couple knows if they'll get married. Proposals are really just sweet gestures.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

well, OP asked my opinion and that is my opinion. What really matter I guess is how the girl in question sees it. If OP thinks she is the type of gal to enjoy it, by all means do it.
                    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by LadyDean View Post

Relationship began
                      04/16/2014

Not necessarily. And, it doesn't mean he's a game player. I married a sailor who proposed to me after dating close to 3 months. Granted, we didn't get married for another 6 months, but 3 three of those months were LD because he was out to sea. He was out to sea off and on for about half of our marriage. Our marriage lasted 13 years, and we had six children. There was no game playing. But we were not happy because of him being away so much, and then when he got out of the Navy, we had financial trouble all the time, moved a lot, and six children on top of all that was too much for the marriage to last. By the end, he was working out of town, and had a girlfriend. Life throws curves like that sometimes, you know.

As someone else mentioned, it's a proposal. That doesn't mean they are going to run off to Vegas and get hitched right away. And he didn't ask for anyone's opinion on that, anyway.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

If you want to ask her again in person then do it but I wouldn't feel like you have to, to make it real. It could be a sweet unexpected gesture though and I doubt she'd hate it!

Comment

Pretty much going to agree with everyone on here- If you feel like a phone proposal wasn't personal enough, go ahead and do a more personal one. Since I'm sure you didn't magically pass a ring through the phone, maybe you could use the excuse of giving her the ring as a more "official" proposal? (That is, if you plan on getting a ring, all depends on the couple!)
                          Congrats on the engagement! It sounds like you two must be very happy together!
                          Every long lost dream led me to where you are
                          Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
                          Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
                          This much I know is true...
                          That God blessed the broken road that led me straight to you

|First Met: 02/28/14|Exchanged Numbers: 03/07/14|First Date: 03/14/14|First Kiss: 03/21/14 |Became a couple: 04/05/14|

Comment

First off, congrats on your engagement! I think that another proposal isn't needed if you both believe that the one on the phone was official, which it sounds like you do. You could always do something in person or over skype but it doesn't have to be a proposal. I think there's too much hype about over the top proposals now and days; whatever is comfortable and best for you is what works the best. My SO asked me to marry him when we were on a walk after lunch. He wanted to ask at the restaurant but was too nervous and honestly, I liked that it was more personal and private without a bunch of people staring.
                            Our love story:
                            Attended the same high school 2004-2007
                            Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
                            Reconnected: August 2012
                            Began dating LD: November 2012
                            Engaged! March 2014
                            Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

Working...
                            X