What makes a marriage last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a marriage last

I thought this article was kinda interesting. Some of the stuff doesn't make sense, like they say having a wedding with 200+ people is "good" for your marraige, and so is spending under $1000. I wanna see someone have a 200+ people wedding for under $1000!

Anyways, some of these I rank well and others not so well.

https://www.randalolson.com/2014/10/...able-marriage/

Meh.. what I don't like about it is that it's about a "stable" marriage as in, not getting divorced. Plenty of people don't get divorced but aren't in happy relationships. (I noticed, for example, there's less divorce for those who attend church regularly. Probably their religion frowns on it, but divorce not being religiously-acceptable doesn't mean the marriage is a good one.)

I'd prefer to see things about happy marriages, as opposed to just ones that don't end in divorce.

Comment

Length of time dating is always interesting to me. I've seen both extremes.

My parents dated for 6 weeks before getting engaged. Got married, first kid a year later, 3 additional kids over the next 10 years. Happily married for 15 years, started fighting all the time over money for a couple years, separated (but didn't divorce), got back together a few years later, were still together when my dad died a couple years after that.

My older brother, on the other hand, dated his wife for 6 years, proposed to her, then they had another 6ish years of being engaged, and finally got married a couple years ago. (No big circumstances stopping them from getting married before, they just really didn't particularly feel the need to do it. Finally when they started house hunting they felt like they wanted to make it official.)

So I'm always interested in seeing what timeline paths people take for getting married.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermoonfairy3 View Post
        Meh.. what I don't like about it is that it's about a "stable" marriage as in, not getting divorced. Plenty of people don't get divorced but aren't in happy relationships. (I noticed, for example, there's less divorce for those who attend church regularly. Probably their religion frowns on it, but divorce not being religiously-acceptable doesn't mean the marriage is a good one.)

I'd prefer to see things about happy marriages, as opposed to just ones that don't end in divorce.
        I agree. The title of the article I posted is about "Stable" marriages, but the study the author sites uses the word "duration" which I think is more accurate. Going to church regularly does make a marriage last longer (according to the study), no matter the reasons behind it. But, like you said, it doesn't necessarily mean a "stable" or happy marriage.

Comment

The problem, I think, with "happiness", is it's hard to define. There's no real "this defines happy" and "this doesn't". You can do general studies, yes, but if you're going for more "scientific" or "hard research", the numbers tend to create a more definitive answer. Not that I don't disagree with you, though.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Well, looks like I'm due for a divorce any moment now.
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by TwoThree View Post
              Me too
              My heart belongs to a pilot!
              ~*~
              ~*~
              [/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Trethsparr View Post
                Me too
                Not enough people at your weddings?
                Not attending church?

Comment

And the income AND the honeymoon! (though technically we had one, only it was a four-day trip to attend a music festival )
                  I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

I go to church, husband goes sometimes if it is like an outdoor sermon, and boyfriend has never gone to neither church nor mosk (though he is religious of sorts. I know he did some seremonies with his family). No honeymoon for us, unless you count that we travelled to marry.

Here is another take on happy/stable marriages: https://www.isoulseek.com/sitebranch...les/6signs.pdf
                    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Trethsparr View Post
                      Me too
                      Clearly it is because neither of you have given the gift of children to your husbands, skanky sluts!

Comment

Comment

Saw this video today: https://once.unicornmedia.com/now/ad...RAMzone=278160

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                          Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                          Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lyonsgirl View Post
                            Yay! We're going to last forever! Especially now that I have tips for the wedding. Nothing can go wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Ahava View Post
                              Not enough people at your weddings?
                              Not attending church?
                              AND the income AND the fact we got engaged after dating for six months (we were CD at the time).

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                              Clearly it is because neither of you have given the gift of children to your husbands, skanky sluts!
                              Undoubtedly.
                              My heart belongs to a pilot!
                              ~*~
                              ~*~
                              [/center]

Comment

Working...
                              X