Marriage VISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage VISA

Apologies if this is on the wrong section.. I think there should be something about this based on their experiences.

So, as you know there is ALOT of forums about this topic I'm seeing, but it really doesn't answer my question, or I'm just not understanding this correctly. As of now I'm still currently in the United States. We wanted to get married in Brazil and do all the process there. Not even go back home. Just finish everything there. I want to know how this works if I do it all in Brazil. Maybe in Rio to be exact. I know it can take a few months to a year. How would this work? Would he get his green card for the US? Would it be best if stayed in Rio for the whole process or I must go back home and file for him? I've done quiet a bit a research, but I want to know if I'm doing the right thing. I'm coming in as a B-2 Visa.
    Last edited by djgirl; January 13, 2015, 11:21 AM.
    It's not about the looks, it's about the personality.

You will have to go through the CR-1 / IR-1 visa - I have no knowledge when it comes to this, but I know that the visajourney guides and forums will help you:

https://www.visajourney.com/content/guides <~ Check out all the options you have!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

So basically saying that I still need to file I-130...

Comment

Looks like it, but it seems like there is different routes you can take. Read up on the differences in the guides and decide which one would be the best for you!

Good luck!!

From what I know, you can get married outside of the US and you can stay outside of the US for as long as the visa process takes.

Comment

It looks like there is no options here but to stay in brazil until the visa process is done. The only thing I want to know is that do I still need to petition him or support him once the process is done.

Comment

Alright, let's cut out the attitude, since I have been really trying to help you. This is not a visa forum and I have given you links to the visa forum that would respond to your questions with much more information than I can give you, yet I still tried.

Part of the I-130 is the Adjustment of Status (I-485) part, that requires you to prove that you will be able to support your husband through the process until he becomes a legal resident and gets a greencard, which can take a couple months up to a couple years. If you file for the Application for Employment Authorization at the same time, which is optional, your husband will get his work permit within 60-90 days after you have filed, however meanwhile he will not be able to work - therefor you have to prove that you will support him and he will not be dependent on the state you live in.

Seriously though, read up on the guides, because the information they provide is really easy to understand and helpful. I have been able to get my Fiancée visa through following their guides.

Guide for the I-130: https://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2
            Visajourney forums: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/

Comment

Apologies for my attitude. It's just I'm really upset knowing that I have to file. I didn't believe it crease to exist even if I'm outside the US. I just wanted to make sure what I'm looking at is really no option. Again sorry for my attitude, but I'm sure I'm not the only one currently passing this.

Comment

I'm confused. Are you a US citizen? You mention that you are coming on a B2 visa?

Comment

I am a US citizen but I plan to marry in brazil

Comment

Originally posted by djgirl View Post
                    I am a US citizen but I plan to marry in brazil
                    That's what I thought but got confused because you said you were on a B2 visa in your original post.

I'm a USC who married abroad and filed a I-130. Still in the process. There are plenty of people who do it from abroad. You do need to prove that you can financially support your husband (or have a cosigner who is willing to). You will sign an affidavit of support which holds certain financial obligations which will continue until he becomes a citizen or has worked 40 quarters in the US. Getting his green card or divorce do not release you from those obligations.

Comment

Working...
                    X