Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you planning your wedding yourself, with your SO or hire a planner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you planning your wedding yourself, with your SO or hire a planner?

I know for our wedding, we are both planning it together as it is the best day of our lives, but he already told me he is no good at ideas for decorations and centrepieces, he said his sisters and mom are best at those things. But we decided on the food together, the venues and the other technical ideas. I will go with his sisters and mom and grandma wedding dress shopping, and we will do the tradition that he doesn't see me in my dress it until I walk down the aisle. Some things we haven't fully organised as we need me to be there in America so we can, and I am so excited to start!

We're basically leaving the major details to a planner. We booked a gorgeous location in the hills and our package comes with a wedding planner. We've met her once and our communication via email and phone so far has been great. Of course it's very early days, but we have a good feeling about her. Our wedding won't be huge, but it will have a vintage feel and I'm happy to pass the details off on someone else, especially since it's a winter wedding. I will be going dress shopping with his mom, his daughter, one of his best friends (female) and the wedding planner will help with the final selection.
    Met Online : July 2013
    Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
    2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
    3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
    Proposal : December 2014
    Closed distance : February 2015
    Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

We did everything with our matron of honor and best man,, which are his sister and her husband. My fiance loves decorating things and he's really good at it, so he made most of the decisions regarding that. In fact, he did most of the decisions. There was only two things I really wanted (a beautiful white gown and a 2 tiered cake) and I have gotten them, everything else is a bonus and can be anything he wants. Seeing him happy makes me happy

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I basically planned our whole wedding myself. I had some input from my mom, his mom, and my husband had a fair snout of say in the planning. He and I went to all of the vendor meetings together, but I had to make the phone calls/set up meetings/etc. I wouldn't change anything about how it went. (And not that it's any surprise to this forum, but I planned the entire wedding from a distance.)

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

LOL. Me and my SO, we are just hitting a registry office, so not much planning. I will not miss the whole reception line thing, blech, those are awkward.

I did however do my whole big wedding to my Ex. I had 6 bridesmaids and 6 groomsmen, a big church wedding and an 8 hour long reception. It was not that hard. You book your venue, get your preacher and church arranged, your license, and pick your bridal party. I made a list for a DJ, Flowers, and Photographer.I called a wedding singer to sing Ava Maria and had my Uncle, who is a pro, to sing another. I asked a cousin to do a reading and another friend to handle sign in book. I bought the invitation online and went to a craft store for my reception decor, center pieces and favors and picked a carribbean theme and made them myself. I hit a bridal shop for small things like sign in book and pen and mail box for cards, and garter, I got my dress and veil and shoes at David's Bridal. I booked two limos and set up our honeymoon online. I called a bakery and ordered a cake and an ice carver for my sculpture.

The venue took care of food and drinks, I picked from one of three packages they had. The flower shop delivered flowers to me and church. Me and my girls handled the set up in church and venue for decor, favors, center pieces, place cards, sign in book and gift table. I actually had live beta fish for one person at each table to win, from numbers under seats raffled off. My DJ handled that. The guys made sure he got his tux and they put on their boutineers. My bridal parties flowers were at church on time. The cake and ice sculpture were delivered to venue. The rest ran like clock work. Limos came, deed done in hour long ceremony with songs and church did my service pamphlet for me, akward horrible reception line, into limos again for some awesome bubbly I had bought in limos and onward to party, and DJ and venue owner handled most of the rest, I extended time from 6 to 8 hours since it was rocking. Much drinking at open bar and I told Photo man, candid photos only unless asked, I took like ten minutes of pics I wanted and the rest were him wandering and grabbing shots here and there. I worked with DJ beforehand and so had an itinerary of when to do dances and garter and cake and all that. The marriage failed but I got compliments on wedding like crazy and no one wanted to leave so a bunch of us went out and played pool afterwards, yes in my dress, and got tons of free drinks from strangers. Went to hotel and flew to Jamaica next day.

I used to have a big house and yard, so I did a ton of big parties. I got to say, I would totally do that for a living if I could. LOL.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

We had a really low-key wedding. I planned everything (which consisted of "hey, show up here") and my SO agreed. That was it.

I almost think my family planned more than I did. They surprised me with cake toppers and mixed bird seed and glitter to throw on us.

Comment

As per Indian tradition, my boyfriend's family is planning our wedding.
              From America to India. ♥

Comment

I planned my wedding by myself almost entirely. He helped with some key stuff. We had a laid-back, small wedding. 16 guests in a state park with a dinner reception (no dancing) at a local vacation home.

He wrote our invitations - he's a much better writer than me. He influenced cake - he doesn't like cake, but loves cheesecake. I make GREAT cheesecake. So we did cheesecake.

I chose food from my hometown bbq place, and picked that up on the way there. I made the decor, simple, but perfect for the venue. I made my bouquet. I made the invitations. My mom made my shawl. I made his cloak and picked out his outfit (a sweater over button down shirt). I did my own hair and makeup. I found our photographer (pretty much the only professional thing we used). I planned our honeymoon. I pretty much made it all happen. It turned out almost as I expected and I loved it.
                Met online: Nov 2010 - Met in person: Nov 20, 2010
                Closed the distance: April 27, 2011
                Accepted to PhD program 200 miles away: March 2012
                LD again: July 24, 2012
                Left School and Closed the Distance for good: March 8, 2013
                Married: November 1, 2014
                Started job 200 miles away: February 23, 2015

Comment

Mostly me! SO helps where he can, and my family helps out a great deal, but I like to think I've planned most of it!

Comment

We're not planning a wedding.
                    First contact: March, 2014
                    Official LDR: June, 2014
                    Married since: August, 2017
                    “有一种幸福就是每天睁开眼睛,就知道你在。” -Xinxin

Comment

My SO and I planned it ourselves. We wanted something small and cheap and we made it happen! We aren't flashy people and we are broke, so it works out great haha! Two months and two days to go!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                      Married April 18th, 2015!!
                      Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Working...
                      X