We're going to Disneyland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're going to Disneyland!

For our honeymoon, that is! September 2016! I can't wait!!!!

He lives in California, so it's not too much of a trip for him, but he wants me to have this experience!

This is my first time going, so I'm trying to plan it out slightly. Can anyone help? We want this to be perfect for my first time!

Thank you, everyone who helps!

It won't be perfect, you will have to fight through crowds of little hellions to get in lines for rides. I did have fun when I was there, but no point in planning anything other then look at a map and start at one end and work your way to the other.

Comment

The only thing I found that made any difference in the experience, was using the FASTPASS system to my advantage. It's not on a ton of rides if I remember correctly, but it saves you some time. But yeah, kids everywhere, so it can only be so perfect.. still fun though!

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

I enjoyed Disneyland, but if you're okay with only really having things to do for about 3 days, then it's a good trip. You don't need more than that - and IMO, it's too expensive to spend more than about that long there. Get park hopper tickets, that will allow you to go in between Disneyland and California Adventure.

Get fast passes where you can, and if you expect to purchase any souvenirs, bring at least $100 for the two of you. A tshirt will run you about $25-30, plus taxes and everything, you'll want a little extra. If you're staying near there, look into making dinner reservations before you even make the trip. Don't bother with lunch reservations - you don't want to plan your whole day around when you're eating each meal. Bring snacks with you into the park, park food is $$$.

Downtown Disney in California is a really good size, lots to do and see and places to eat. Expect to spend $20+ at every meal you eat out, more like $40+ for dinners. Bring a small, but decent, camera with you. The photographers will take your picture with your camera if you ask, but you'll most likely have to wait in line.

If you can go during the week, go then, avoid the weekend. If you can, try to go towards the end of September rather than the beginning - Labor day weekend (typically the first week in September) is a big Disneyland draw - most working adults will get a three day weekend.

Be extremely patient - chances are you will wait in line for at least 4 hours during your trip there. (Not consecutively.) Bring something to do if you think you'll get bored waiting in line. Bring water bottles and fill them up when you can. Wear layers/bring a lightweight jacket - California can get chilly at night. Go into the park when it opens, stay till they kick you out.

Carry a small backpack rather than a large purse - two straps over shoulders are happier than one. Wear tennis shoes and socks. I know your sandals look way cuter, but your feet will hate you. Chances are you will be walking 8+ miles each day you are there. And sunscreen. Wear it. Even when it's not sunny out. Wear it.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
        Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
        Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Thank you everyone, wow!

We'll be staying 5 days in the area, but only 3 for Disneyland/other parks! We've already planned on the Park Hopper tickets, but I didn't know about Fast Passes, thank you!

This is so helpful! Thank you all for the tips!

Comment

I grew up in Orange County and worked at Disneyland for 6 months, so I know quite a bit about the park
            I suggest going during the week versus the weekend, because the weekends are crazy at both parks. Like lyonsgirl said, park food is really expensive, so you may want to bring your own food and drinks with you. (Don't worry, it's totally fine for you to bring your own food there).
            Since it's your first time there, you should get a map to look around the park. It'll be hard to plan your trip unless you know all the rides, so don't worry about it too much
            Part of the fun of Disneyland is just doing what you feel like!

The fireworks show at DL starts around 9 or 9:15 pm every night, so you should definitely stay for that. Also, you should totally splurge on ice cream at Gibson Girl, or on a churro at one of the churro/popcorn stands. Totally worth it!
            Be prepared for some rides being closed down for maintenance or problems. (FYI, the Indiana Jones ride is almost ALWAYS closed down :/). Fastpasses are definitely a good idea, but you might not need them as much if you go during the week.
            Last thing: Avoid the train ride :/ I learned some things about the train ride when I worked at DL, and I've never thought of it the same way again o.O

Overall, you'll have a blast! Enjoy the Happiest Place on Earth

Comment

OMG emismes I LOVED the Indiana jones ride, that was probably my fave, I laughed my ass off the whole time.

When I went in 2013, they only allowed you to have one fastpass at a time, so we picked a ride as soon as we went to the park (splash mountain), got the pass, then came back at the time specified on the pass(which was about 4 hours later). They told us once we had used one, we could get another, but by that time it was already about 6pm so there was no point.

Disneyland has an app where you can check to see which rides are undergoing maintenance/closed/open, and it is updated in real time, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it is called. But do download that, it can help you plan out your day. We waited two hours in line for space mountain only for it to break down as we were about to get on.

Comment

I found even for most of the long lines, Disney employees seem to be able to keep the lines moving pretty quickly. I completely agree that you must have at least one churro (Disney was the first place I ever had one) and stay for the parade and fireworks. Pirates of the Caribbean is one of my favorites....must have to do with all the Johnny Depps!
                To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by emsimes View Post
                  Last thing: Avoid the train ride :/ I learned some things about the train ride when I worked at DL, and I've never thought of it the same way again o.O
                  This is so intriguing.
                  So, here you are
                  too foreign for home
                  too foreign for here.
                  Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                    This is so intriguing.
                    I was about to say the same.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniasBride View Post
                      I was about to say the same.
                      Yes, I was about to say: Do tell. Hahaha.

Comment

I've only ever been to Disneyland Paris, but the Fastpass system was in place there as well. Also, Space Mountain Mission II was amazing, as was the Indiana Jones ride. I loved going to that place and would love to go again someday. So jealous of a friend of mine, she gets to go there 3 times a year lol.

Comment

Have massive fun! You have been given great advice
                          Met Online : July 2013
                          Met in person : April - May 2014 (3 wks)
                          2nd visit : June - August 2014 (2 months)
                          3rd visit : December - Jan (2wks)
                          Proposal : December 2014
                          Closed distance : February 2015
                          Married : April 5, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Petals View Post
                            Have massive fun! You have been given great advice
                            I really have! I swear, I'll be bawling my eyes out the whole day from excitement!

Comment

Haha ^^
                              I'll tell if you guys are interested! It's kind of gross, though, so I'm not sure if anyone wants to hear about it

Comment

Working...
                              X