Tell me your thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell me your thoughts

Before I say anything, I'm curious to what ya'll think about the first paragraph

I mean, it kinda makes sense, but at the same time seems like they're asking people to pay for themselves to attend the wedding. It's like a birthday party, or any other special occasion, you pay for the reception and whatnot and invite the people you want there.

I don't know, I know if I did something like this, people would be really offended.

Comment

Don't most people put money in a card anyway? I know I always do. I think saying cash would be more appreciated than gifts would be a better way to phrase it though. Being this specific about price is totally like making them pay to attend the wedding.
      "You want for myself
      You get me like no one else
      I am beautiful with you

I am beautiful with you
      Even in the darkest part of me
      I am beautiful with you
      Make it feel the way it's supposed to be
      You're here with me
      Just show me this and I'll believe
      I am beautiful with you"

-Halestorm

Comment

Honestly, I think that's kind of rude to ask for money :/
        It's one thing if guests bring gifts for the couple, but asking for a specific dollar amount seems tacky to me. Plus, I'd be too cheap to give them my hard-earned $75

Comment

I think asking for specific amount is a bit tasteless, if they just said the'd rather have money instead of presents (Someone I know, said they are gathering money for a trip to japan, so the best presents would be helping them get the funds) but without saying how much they want.
          “We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.”
          ― Robert Fulghum, True Love

Met UK 3.08.2012-5.08.12 ->UK 1.12.12-3.12.12->PL 8.02.13-16.02.13->PL 1.06.13-9.06.13->UK 3.08.13-17.08.13->UK 26.10.2013-02.11.2013->PL 30.11.2013-08.12.2013->PL 22.03.2014-29.03.2014->UK 31.05.2014-07.06.2014->PL 06.09.2014-13.09.13->UK 20.12.2014-03.01.2015
          Closed the distance >21.03.2015
          sigpic

Comment

I get why they'd want to do this, shit- who wouldn't want a monetary contribution to their wedding! But, I think it's really tacky and inappropriate. If you don't want/can't afford an expensive wedding, then don't have an expensive wedding! And if you can't find gifts that you want to register for, either forgo the registry and see what gifts people come up with or ask for a contribution to your honeymoon or house fund (but I still would never put an actual dollar amount)!

Comment

I've seen invites that ask for money towards the honeymoon / new house which seems acceptable but this just seems ultra cheeky.

Comment

Asking for a specific amount just seems rude to me. The desire to want money as gifts is totally okay, in my opinion, but the phrasing and expectations here are really uacceptable. Not everyone can just willynilly spend 75 dollars, not all adults are rich.

~
                It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                The hands of the many must join as one
                And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I also find asking for a specific amount kind of rude. I totally understand asking for a donation towards whatever but you should be happy with whatever amount people give you. Going to a wedding is expensive enough and not everyone can afford giving 75$. I'm getting married in a month and some and we aren't asking for money. Or even gifts for that matter. People are going of out their way to come to our wedding, to me, that is gift enough.

And why is it underlined? lol

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                  Married April 18th, 2015!!
                  Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

I agree. Asking for money instead of gifts: yes. Asking for a specific amount of money: not cool.
                    If we're acquaintances, I'm not paying 75 dollars to come to your wedding. If we're friends or family, I'm telling you that it's not a good idea. Either come up with a way to make your wedding less costly or be okay with whatever contribution people are able and willing to make.

Comment

I'm in agreement with everyone here. Asking for a specific amount is inappropriate. Asking for cash instead of gifts is fine because a lot of people already are living together and have what they need for household items, etc.

If you can't afford what you've planned for your wedding and have to ask people for money, maybe it's time to start making some cuts and adjustments to your plans.
                      To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

I agree with the rest of the bunch. Asking for a specific amount of money for each person of a specific age is just rude. For our wedding, a lot of people gave far less than 75$ but it was a lot to them and I would never say that they didn't give enough, in fact, if this was on our invitation, we would have probably gotten none lol

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                        Married: 1/24/2015
                        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I have no problem with giving money at weddings, but when you start asking for a specific amount I'm going to get annoyed. $75 is a lot of money to unemployed me right now. I'm also curious as to why it is underlined.

Comment

Don't like it either. I honestly felt it a little tacky when a couple asked for cash instead of gifts, but it's fine. I totally get why they would.

If it's a wedding of a friend or relative I usually give $50 or equivalent as a gift. If it's a best friend, I'll give $100. Never would I give $150 (from SO and I)!!! Wtf that better be the damn nicest party around!!!

Comment

No. NO NO NO NO. If I received that invitation, I would immediately decline, that's beyond tacky and tasteless and I'd want no part of it. A gift is something to be decided upon by the giver, and while there is an expectation to give a gift for a wedding, it is not a requirement. This sounds like a gimme-grab and makes the invitee feel more like an ATM than a guest. The funny part is, I wouldn't give less than $200 anyway, so now not only am I going to decline, they're losing out on $50 more than they demanded. I have a feeling that $75 per head would be paying for Coors light, boxed wine, and a roast beef sandwich, which shouldn't cost more than $12.
                              Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X