Engaged yay! But a little overwhelmed already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engaged yay! But a little overwhelmed already

We just got engaged last week! We were on a work related trip to Dubrovnik, which is just a magical place and also where we first went on holidays over 4 years ago so it had a special meaning to us. As we strolled around empty streets in the evening, he stopped me, went down on his knee and pulled out this wonderful ring. It was awesome! So special and so adorable

We then called our families who couldn't be happier for us, and then we enjoyed a few more days in Dubrovnik living in this fairytale bubble without a care in the world.

But now that we're back in reality all these questions are coming at us and wedding decisions need to be made and I'm just lost, I don't even know where to start from. We would like the wedding to be this year, possibly at the end of summer or early autumn while the weather is still nice, but when we told that to others they were all like whaaaaaa as apparently it's all too short of a timeframe. I know absolutely nothing about organising weddings. I imagine that's a popular time of the year though and venues need to be booked well in advance. I don't even know what I want... I know nothing my SO is the same. I know we don't want a big wedding but we do want some kind of celebration. And it will be in Croatia, meaning most of the organisation will be on me... ugh.

Oh yeah, and this is my ring:

A beautiful emerald in a simple elegant setting. I'm not a diamonds kind of girl so this was just perfect for me. I wouldn't have picked a better one myself. He knows me so well!

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Wow, congratulations! Your ring is beautiful. Best of luck for the planning

Comment

Congratulations, that is wonderful news!!!

Let yourself be overwhelmed for a minute and then brush it off and start focusing on what you REALLY want! All I wanted was a two-tiered cake and a white wedding gown, so I made plans to get those things settled as soon as possible. The husband wanted people to enjoy themselves, so to him food, the location and the music were the most important things, so he worked on those and delegated these things on his best man and groomsmen.
      Look at venues when you can, send pictures your fiance's way and decide on one! You know your man really well after all this time and will make the right decisions!!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Congrats!! So happy for you!
        Yeah it's totally overwhelming at first. My SO and I freaked out a couple times. But once we figured out what we wanted and how to get it, it's been smooth!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
        Married April 18th, 2015!!
        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Congratulations! Your ring is so pretty!!! I love how deep the green is. It's gorgeoussssssssss.

Comment

Aaaahhhhhhh congratulations Malaga!! So happy for you guys

And the ring is absolutely gorgeous!

Good luck with the wedding planning. I don't really have advice as I don't know anything about it either, but I'm sure you'll figure it out and I'm also sure that it's not too late for the period you picked.
            I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Congrats!!!!
              What a beautiful ring. The emerald is amazing!
              I can only imagine how stressful it is planning a wedding, but just remember at the end of the day, it's all about you and your SO

Comment

Congratulations! Such a beautiful ring

I have organized 2 wedding, wheras one was on 2 parts as well... The tough thing is really settle on who to invite, and get some sort of idea of what kind of food to serve, and how to deal with the alcohol. Happy guests= good wedding. And of course, the styling you want for yourself and your man. Pretty bride and groom= memerable wedding (and someone to take your pictures, too). And you have to find someone to marry you and probably prove that you can be married (we have to get a licence that was only valid 3 months, I hear other contries have similar things). Those are the center of things, the rest is less important. There are guides on how to do it, it really depends how eleborate you want it. Also, if it gets a lot of details you can probably delegate some stuff to your bridesmade or family or even to the location. Set a budget and work around it like you would if you were planning any other party or event. Planning weddings can be fun,too
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Wow, you are doing Croatia, that was our special place too, but in Split. We had hoped for a Croatian wedding but the translation requirements made our timing too tight. If you are going to do it there, contact the authorities and find out all the requirements first. I think you have to have it in Croatian and hire a translator and also pay to have your non Croatian documents translated into Croatian, and also pay to have your wedding certificate translated to English for UK. Make sure you have those ducks in a row or the rest won't matter.

As far as anything else, take with a grain of salt or not. I have been married 3 times now. One small, one big and one tiny. Each day was special in it's own way and really it is not about the party, that only lasts a day, it is about you two. Do what you two want and don't be pushed to make others happy. Have a wedding you can afford and don't sweat the small stuff. My 350 dollar wedding cake tasted no sweeter than my homemade one. Pick a few things you really want a certain way and go with them and let the rest fall into place. Be willing to make compromises on stuff like venue, DJ/Band, Photographer or who does your flowers. I went crazy over a damn ice sculpture on my 2nd wedding and guess what? It really did not matter, the day came, everyone had fun and the ice melted. It's just one day. Find a place you want to marry. Have a nice ceremony and fun party and live happily ever after. Congrats.
                  "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                  Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Congratulations! It is a truly beautiful ring too

You can totally organise a wedding in that time frame. Get the venue booked asap and plan everything else once you have that sorted.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!! So happy for you two!!!

Comment

Aaaawwwwwwwwwww <3
                        Congrats! So happy for you!

Comment

Congratulations! You'll figure things out for sure Focus on what you two really want, not what you think you should want.

~
                          It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                          A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                          The hands of the many must join as one
                          And together we'll cross the river

Comment

Congrats!! All the best for you two!

Whatever you plan, your wedding is going to be beautiful!

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

Don't know how I missed this. Congrats! Such a beautiful ring

Comment

Working...
                              X