No announcement yet.

double nationality!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I move to America to marry my Fiance after 3 years I can apply for citizenship and I certain that I can keep my British citizenship, so I would be a dual citizen of both, I like that idea because to me it sounds cool to be able to tell people and yes it will be great to be able to vote in America and other things like that.

Comment

My SO nor I wants to lose ours, and NL took it away for regular circumstances, so that puts me at remaining just USA and him just Dutch. If they both won't do it, it cannot be done. In order to become Dutch I would have to renounce USA, not going to happen, and in order for him to become USA, he would lose his Dutch. Ironically though, a child of ours could still be dual under Dutch law.
      "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
      Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
        My SO nor I wants to lose ours, and NL took it away for regular circumstances, so that puts me at remaining just USA and him just Dutch. If they both won't do it, it cannot be done. In order to become Dutch I would have to renounce USA, not going to happen, and in order for him to become USA, he would lose his Dutch. Ironically though, a child of ours could still be dual under Dutch law.
        From what I've read, The Netherlands only make you renounce your citizenship through naturalization. If you get married, you can keep it. I feel like that is the way it works in a lot of countries.
        https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...-nationaliteit It says under the exceptions that if you're married to a Dutch person, you can keep your citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by MissButterfly View Post
          From what I've read, The Netherlands only make you renounce your citizenship through naturalization. If you get married, you can keep it. I feel like that is the way it works in a lot of countries.
          https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...-nationaliteit It says under the exceptions that if you're married to a Dutch person, you can keep your citizenship.
          Oh, hot dang, I think you are right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/reside...on/#paragraph6

Renouncing nationality and exceptions
          In order to acquire Dutch citizenship, you must be prepared to renounce your current nationality or nationalities. This means that you have to give up your existing citizenship. There are a number of exceptions to this rule (see below).

If one of the below mentioned exceptions apply to you, please ensure that you notify the IND of this immediately upon submitting your application for naturalisation. You can use a separate form for this. The IND will assess whether the exception indicated is indeed applicable to you. Please note, however, that once you have acquired Dutch citizenship you will no longer be able to claim that one of the exceptions specified below is applicable to you.

If you do not fall within any of the exception categories, you will have to give up your existing nationality. You have to renounce your existing nationality with the competent authorities in your country. In most cases it is possible to do this at the respective Embassy or Consulate in the Netherlands. It is important to always first check with them as to the conditions and possible fees for renouncing your nationality before applying for Dutch citizenship.

In certain countries you are required to first obtain permission from the authorities of the country of your citizenship before you can adopt another citizenship. You have to include this proof of permission with your application for naturalisation.

For most countries, however, you will only be able to renounce your original nationality once you have acquired Dutch citizenship. When submitting your application for naturalisation, you must sign a declaration stating that you are prepared to renounce your existing citizenship.

Once you have acquired Dutch citizenship, you have to contact the authorities in your country of origin (usually the Consulate or Embassy) in order to submit an application to renounce your nationality or to register a declaration of renunciation. Once the renunciation procedure has been completed, you will receive an official declaration from the authorities of your country of origin. You must send a copy of this declaration to the IND.

Click here to see which rules apply in your country in respect of renouncing your nationality.

If you do not renounce your current nationality even though you are required to, your Dutch citizenship may be revoked.

Exceptions
          You do not have to renounce your current nationality in the following cases when:
          You automatically lose your original nationality when becoming a Dutch citizen.
          You can only renounce your existing nationality after having acquired Dutch citizenship. (Please note that you will however have to do so then afterwards!).
          Your country's legislation does not allow you to give up your nationality.
          You are married to or are the registered partner of a Dutch citizen.
          You are a recognised refugee.
          You were born in the Netherlands, Aruba, Curacao or Saint Martin and you are still living there when you submit your application.
          You cannot be expected to contact the authorities in the country of which you are a national.
          You have special and objectively assessable reasons for not renouncing your nationality.
          You are a national of a state that is not recognised by the Netherlands.
          You will have to pay a large sum of money to the authorities in your country of origin in order to renounce your current nationality. You must be able to demonstrate this.
          You will lose certain rights when giving up your current nationality leading to serious financial losses, for example with respect to laws of succession. You must be able to demonstrate this.
          You either have to fulfil or buy out your military service before being able to renounce your nationality. You must be able to demonstrate this.

Now, I think I shall look into what perks that might give me, YAY.
          My husband is already planning on moving to NL as soon as he can find a job there after I get my UK residence card to show proof we already were exercising his rights in UK as a worker and I legally resided with him, and then I can get my NL Residence permit. I am thinking in a year or two we will be living in NL. What will me having dual citizenship in NL do for me? Will it protect me in more ways than just a residence permit?
          Last edited by Hollandia; March 24, 2015, 07:45 AM.
          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Hollandia View Post
            Oh, hot dang, I think you are right !!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://ind.nl/EN/individuals/reside...on/#paragraph6

Now, I think I shall look into what perks that might give me, YAY.
            My husband is already planning on moving to NL as soon as he can find a job there after I get my UK residence card to show proof we already were exercising his rights in UK as a worker and I legally resided with him, and then I can get my NL Residence permit. I am thinking in a year or two we will be living in NL. What will me having dual citizenship in NL do for me? Will it protect me in more ways than just a residence permit?
            Haha I hope this new info is helpful for you! After being married to a Dutch citizen, and living together in the NL for 3 years, you can automatically apply for citizenship. A passport is a travel document mostly of course, but you do get extra rights as a citizen (voting etc.). I don't think there's a disadvantage to going for citizenship when you qualify I'm not sure about the rest! Can't find any clear sources on it because it's kind of self-evident that people would get a passport if they're allowed to haha!

Comment

I'm so happy that both Sweden and Argentina allow for dual citizenships so we don't have to go through that hassle - I don't think I'd be able to give up my Swedish citizenship and I know he would never give up his Argentinian one so we got lucky on that part

Met online: February 2011
              Met the first time: August 16, 2011

Comment

Working...
              X