Venue dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venue dilemma

Long story short, we decided to proceed with the wedding this year. The date is either 28th or 29th of August - we yet have to confirm that.
    We'll have a church ceremony - I managed to book an amazing church that's a city landmark:

And now I have to pick one of two venues on the short list. First is a restaurant on top of a high rise building. It's nicely decorated and has a lovely terrace with a great view of the city. The terrace is its selling point really, not just because of the view but because it acts as an additional space, when inevitably some people go outside to smoke or chat they won't leave the space where the party's going on, they'll just be behind the glass wall. Also, bands I spoke to recommend going there.

The second venue is stunning, it's a palace converted to a museum and another city landmark. The welcoming cocktails would be served outside the museum and the reception would be held in the atrium. It's just really special. Also, we managed to get a great deal in their promotional period, it's usually much more expensive.

Both venues are great and I wish I could have two weddings just to use both, but I also have concerns about both.
    The restaurant is a rectangle area and the stage and dance floor will be placed at one end of the area, meaning some tables are going to be 20+ metres away from the dance floor. It's also a bit of a safe choice, and actually a tiny bit pricier than the museum.

The museum's main concern is the acoustics. Those marble floors and high arches come with a price. I've never been to a musical event there but when I visited yesterday, there was an echo when we talked. But I know it's different when there's 100+ people there as opposed just the three of us. Also, bands don't prefer to play there as they say they have to turn down the sound. The venue coordinator says it's down to how good a band is. I've read quite a few reviews online and most say that the weddings there were amazing, really special and there were no problems with the sound, but a couple of them did mention the echo. I don't know. The music is really important.

Lastly, the restaurant works well for up to 115-120 people. The museum doesn't work well for under 100. And right now our guest list is at about 110...

I need to make the decision in the next 2 days. Help please! What would you go for? Should I risk it with the museum? Should I play it safe with the restaurant? I think I like the museum better but I also don't want to stress about it for the next 6 months

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

I would go with the restaurant, I think the views are totally worth it! The tables at the back shouldn't be too bad as long as the sound is loud enough, I've been at several weddings where I'm at the very back and its only for the dinner so it isn't so bad. The restaurant is a bit cheaper too? I'd go with that. Is it possible to have some wedding photos done at the museum and then go to the restaurant for the reception? While the museum seems rather lavish, I think the restaurant is a bit more intimate.

Comment

I agree with restaurant as well. Some people aren't going to want to be near the dance floor, so they can spend time outside or near the back tables.

Also, don't you want to push that number to 111 and invite your favorite forum poster....???

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post

Also, don't you want to push that number to 111 and invite your favorite forum poster....???
        If you are going to invite her, you might as well have a LFAD table, wouldn't want LB to feel out of place!

Comment

Yes yes yes! You all should be on the list. I'm actually trying to push the number up a bit so we get out of this awkward 100-110 zone when we're between price ranges. 120 would be just right but doesn't seem likely at this point.

So if you can fly over to Zagreb end of August, that would be awesome! We'll have an open bar and the band will play till dawn, as it's a Croatian custom.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I agree with both of the ladies above me! I think the restaurant would be nicer, but see if you can have pictures taken at the museum because it really is stunning!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

The restaurant. As you say, the music is important.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say the museum No real reason other than I'm a big nerd that would love to have my reception at a museum myself, and because it's less typical than a restaurant. I'm sure whichever you choose will be amazing though.
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

I vote museum too! We had our reception in an art museum and got to take pictures on the grounds. Those are some of my favorite pictures from our wedding day.

2016 Goal: Buy a house.
                  Progress: Complete!

2017 Goal: Pay off credit card debt
                  Progress: Working on it.

Comment

Thank you for telling me what I wanted to hear my heart says museum, but my head says restaurant and I'm torn. The museum is also in the city centre close to the church so it's easy to get to. He prefers the museum too, but he hasn't been to either venue so he can only tell by the pics and my impressions. I have a long day ahead to make the decision.

Comment

I say museums too. Be different!
                      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I love the museum. If I had the choice, I'd go with that.
                        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Malaga View Post
                          Yes yes yes! You all should be on the list. I'm actually trying to push the number up a bit so we get out of this awkward 100-110 zone when we're between price ranges. 120 would be just right but doesn't seem likely at this point.

So if you can fly over to Zagreb end of August, that would be awesome! We'll have an open bar and the band will play till dawn, as it's a Croatian custom.
                          Ah Man! I totally want to be there.
                          I say go with the restaurant. This way, you have somewhere nice inside but you can go outside if it is a gorgeous Croatian day. I think you could have your anniversary party in the museum but for your wedding, go for the views and the beauty of Zagreb's cityskape.

Maybe it is me, but weddings in Museums are nothing new in Philly, people do it all the time. There are several old banks and museums that are now restaurants there. You should pick on how you want to spend your day. They both have ups and downs, do you want to be in a classic stylish older building with loud marble floors but you will feel like you are a princess in a ball, or in a high rise, kinda just a pretty square box but with access to the outside where you can feel like a queen overlooking her new kingdom. It will be amazing either way.
                          Last edited by Hollandia; March 25, 2015, 08:29 AM.
                          "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
                          Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I have a fear of heights, so something with a balcony doesn't appeal to me

I think I would make the more pragmatic choice (what's cheaper/easier to get to and such), since both options are gorgeous and it will be an unforgettable day either way! Don't sweat it too much!

~
                            It'll take a lot more than words and guns
                            A whole lot more than riches and muscle
                            The hands of the many must join as one
                            And together we'll cross the river

Comment

I vote restaurant because it looks more convenient. Hope you'll be happy with whatever your decide, though
                              I thought of you and the years and all the sadness fell away from me - Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                              X