How to decide on an engagement ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to decide on an engagement ring?

I am tearing my hair out over this. I'm hunting for an engagement ring for My Amazing Man.
    I've been told "you'll know it when you see it", but that isn't giving me much comfort to be honest. When am I going to see it?!
    I must have looked at about 1000 rings by now, or at least half that. I've seen maybe 20 that caught my eye, then discounted them for one reason or another. It started off as an enjoyable endeavour, but it's turned into the unpaid job from hell. The longer it takes, the more upset I get over it. It doesn't help that I won't see my SO again until Christmas, either. I miss him. Where is this mystery ring?!
    I did send him images of the ones I decided against, and he liked 5 of them, so I know I'm on the right track at least.
    Any suggestions, advice, pointers on how to find it?

I wouldn’t get too worried about it. It’s the thought behind the ring that counts. Usually it’s the females ring that causes all this stress. It also depends on what he does for work. My husband is a is a blue collar worker so he didn’t want anything fancy in case it got damaged so we went for a titanium silver band. My neighbours husband is a sheet metal so his wife got him a tungsten ring which is scratch resistant. He also wanted black to silver getting so dirty with his line of work. So I guess you can take those factors into consideration.

I didn’t even know you were engaged, congratulations. I must have missed your post about it.

Comment

I didn't actually put a proper post about it, though I have now covered it in the anniversary section.
      I'm back to looking for it again, and it's still not that enjoyable. I have found one that I think he would like, and I've pasted it onto a photo of his left hand. It looks pretty good to me, but it's awkward when I don't have certainty. I'm pretty confident that he will love whatever I give him, but for me it's always about the details. A nice ring is fine, but I'd prefer one that will mean something to him in another way. He likes sci-fi, space and medical things, which I have looked for. We are both on pinterest which can help me get a better idea of his likes.
      He did chose a ring for me, but I don't know if he is going to get it. It was a cute and simple ring of leaves in silver. I am a big nature lover, so that was always going to go down well with me.
      I did send him an image of a bark style ring which he liked, so maybe I should look there again.
      I'm glad I have another 6 months to work this out. Having said that, including shipping, maybe 4 months.

Comment

I’m sure you’ll find something

Comment

I really hope so, cos it is upsetting me.
          I do have 5 rings that I showed him a long time back that he liked, so if necessary, I can get one of them.
          I'm also contemplating the idea of getting him a silicone ring temporarily, just so that he has something until I find this mysterious ideal ring. I guess if I haven't found anything shortly beforehand, I can go that way.
          Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; June 15, 2019, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I think I may have found it! This is me pasting it on using Paint.

This is the original image. I found it on etsy. I'd been searching there on and off for months now.

I think it's a nice balance of classy without being showy. It's simple and understated, but beautiful in it's own right. Not that it reminds me of him in any way...

Comment

Looks like you’ve found the one.
              Do you know what his ring size is?

Comment

Before I specially requested that photo of his hand, I did ask him what size. He had guessed at a US 9, so I asked him to check. Glad that he did, cos he's actually US 11 1/2, possibly 11 1/4!
                I still really like that ring, despite spending hours scouring etsy again today.
                What I am now wondering is if that one is more of a wedding band than an engagement ring. I'm so indecisive!
                At the same time, I want to go above and beyond for him in every way, and his engagement ring should be no different. I want it to say a lot about him, and I don't think that one does.
                I actually started compiling a list of definite nos, and a list of ideas. I have discovered in all this work that rings with red in do suit him. I know that he likes red as well.
                I did find a seller whose designs felt very much him, but no rings that I really liked. Maybe I could contact them and ask for a custom piece. I might need some idea of what I want first though.
                Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; June 17, 2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

UPDATE:

I finally made a decision, and I didn't get him a ring after all! He had asked me for a necklace, and I stumbled onto a pendant on etsy which is so unbelievably him. It's cute, but in a non-traditional kinda way. It's a bit creepy, but it contains a character from a sci-fi horror film series which he's a big fan of. It sounds strange, but it is very him. I ordered it yesterday, and it's being shipped from Russia. I have dubbed it accordingly From Russia With Love.
                  I can't wait for it to arrive, then I can decide what to put it with. I want to add my own chain, and maybe some beads either side of it.

Comment

Sounds great! I had never heard of men getting an engagement ring.

Comment

Yes, it seems to be popular nowadays for a couple to each have an engagement ring, which I think is a nice idea. In our particular case, I proposed to him, so it seemed right for me to get him a ring.

Having said that, he did ask for my ring size too, so I am expecting one when I see him at Christmas.

Comment

Choosing your ideal engagement ring can be frustrating especially when you do not know exactly the ring size of your partner, have no idea on how to choose diamonds, and most importantly when you’re not sure of the taste of your significant other. I bought a mine from Gemone diamond and would highly recommend it. First of all, you need to have a budget that you are comfortable with, how much you wish to spend. Next, you will need to understand his personality to buy a ring that matches it, such that if he’s a reserved person you will go for a simple ring whereas if he’s outgoing you will go for a more sophisticated style. I would advise you to get the ring from Gemone Diamonds, they have the best quality and they deliver on time. This way, you can surprise him on Christmas eve and make it better.

Comment

Working...
                        X