Change of plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of plans

Having originally decided to marry in the US as it would be both cheaper and faster, I've changed my mind.

When I started thinking about the whole visa process, I realised that once we married in the US, we'd have to separate again whilst we waited for his spousal visa to process! With me being both emotional and stubborn, I said no to that.

So now we're looking at marrying in Northern Ireland, as that's where we will live.

Congratulations. Have you planned the wedding yet? Must be quite difficult now. Over her in Belgium they just started to allow wedding parties again but with no dancing. Go figure.

Comment

No. There's quite a bit that needs to be achieved before we can properly plan the wedding. When we do, it will all need to come together within 6 months, as that's the length of the fiance visa. But we're having a casual elopement anyway, so it shouldn't be too taxing.

Comment

And now I feel like I'm changing my mind again! The whole thing will be stressful enough without adding time restrictions, more expense, and more visas into the mix.

I've even compiled a pro/con list on the subject. Marrying in Northern Ireland gives me 3 pros, and 6 cons.

Marrying in Arizona gives me 9 pros, and 5 cons.

So it seems that on both sides, Arizona wins!
        Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; June 13, 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

In Arizona there are really beautiful places to get married, and less worries about the weather as well . I have been to Arizona many times as one of my best friends moved there. He remarried there as well. Had the event in Sedona. First time he married an American lady, he was still living over here in Belgium. I remember he told me he to arrange a lot of paperwork here in order to apply for the wedding license. Once he got there with all his (officially translated) paperwork, no one bothered to even look at it and getting the license was simple. That was a long time ago though. And translations you won't need. Good luck with the preparations. And keep us posted.

Comment

I'd never really been one for desert landscapes, but I'd fallen under it's spell by the time I left.

Comment

Congratulations!

Getting married is important, the place not so much.

Can you share the pros and cons of every place?
              Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Enric View Post
                Congratulations!

Getting married is important, the place not so much.

Can you share the pros and cons of every place?
                In our case, it makes a lot of difference. You'll see why in my list below.

Marry in the U.S. Pros:

1) Cheaper (no fiance visa required, as we won't be living there)
                2) Faster (can get a marriage license and marry within 24-48 hours)
                3) Nicer weather
                4) His mum can easily attend
                5) More flexibility both in planning and the actual ceremony
                6) He can work as soon as he arrives in Northern Ireland on his spousal visa
                7) He can access free healthcare as soon as he arrives in Northern Ireland on his spousal visa

Marry in the U.S. cons:

1) No guests for me
                2) Taking time off work to get married
                3) Honeymoon would have restrictions due to my job
                4) Have to separate again after our wedding whilst the spousal visa is processed
                5) We can't live together until the spousal visa is granted

Marrying in Northern Ireland pros:

1) Better chance of wedding guests for me
                2) We can stay together after we're married
                3) We can live together before marriage

Marrying in Northern Ireland cons:

1) More expensive as we'd need a fiance visa
                2) The whole process would be longer due to waiting for the fiance visa, and the waiting period before marriage (giving notice)
                3) Unpredictable weather
                4) Awkward to bring his mum across
                5) He can't work on the fiance visa
                6) He can't access free healthcare on the fiance visa
                Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; June 17, 2020, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks for replying @Atlantic Crossroads !

Some of these pros and con are seriously odd and unexpected. Looks like you plan to live together in Northern Ireland and yet marrying in the USA is a little easier. What's the total "legal" cost for each option (excluding the typical add-on such parties, dresses and so)? Can't you just get married using a simple tourist visa and then apply for the spousal visa? Do you know how long it takes to get the spousal visa in both countries? it sounds like immediately in NI and slowly in the USA. Have you considered marrying in a third country?
                  Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

Originally posted by Enric View Post
                    Thanks for replying @Atlantic Crossroads !

Some of these pros and con are seriously odd and unexpected. Looks like you plan to live together in Northern Ireland and yet marrying in the USA is a little easier. What's the total "legal" cost for each option (excluding the typical add-on such parties, dresses and so)? Can't you just get married using a simple tourist visa and then apply for the spousal visa? Do you know how long it takes to get the spousal visa in both countries? it sounds like immediately in NI and slowly in the USA. Have you considered marrying in a third country?
                    Legal cost of marrying in the U.S.:

If we can find a free venue in Najavo County (Arizona), we'd need to pay for the marriage license, which should be $83, and the price of the officiant, which is very varied.
                    The options I have shortlisted for us are an at home wedding, which would mean just the license fee mentioned above and the cost of the officiant. Second option is in a venue that costs $100 if you bring your own witnesses, or $150 if they provide them for you. Also need the license fee there.

Legal cost of marrying in Northern Ireland (UK):

From the figures I could find, Derry or Lisburn charge the least for a no frills registry office wedding, at between £60-80. Giving notice costs £22 per person.

In both of our cases, neither of us need tourism visas for each other's countries for the first few months (being UK and US citizens), but in going to the U.S. I did however, need an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation), which was under $20, and is valid for 2 years.
                    I can't stay in the U.S. for more than 3 months at a time without a visa, and he can't stay longer than 6 months in Northern Ireland without a visa. It is illegal to marry on a tourism visa. I know you can get a marriage visitor visa for Northern Ireland, but that only applies if you're not moving there. If I was settling in the U.S. after marrying there, then I would need a fiance visa for his country. Basically, if you want to marry and live in the same country, you have to get a fiance visa to do so.

I can't say how long it takes for a spousal visa to be issued in the U.S., as I couldn't even understand the information I tried to read on the financial requirements. I think it's longer, but don't quote me on that! But as that was irrelevant for us anyway, it's not been an issue.

In Northern Ireland however, you will get a decision within 3 months. You can also pay extra to have it processed faster, but based on other's experience it only shortens the wait by about 1 month. Though there is mention of a super priority service. I think that can give you a decision within 1 day, but of course it costs more for that too. I'm also unsure if it's a regional only option.

Marrying in a 3rd country would add more time, stress, planning and cost to do so it's not something we'd really look into.

As an addendum, I should state that travel for both sides family and friends is awkward for us to manage, hence me mentioning above about guests. It's not because we're not legally allowed. It's simply more money, logistics and another plate for us to balance.
                    Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; June 17, 2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X