I'm hoping to propose to my man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping to propose to my man.

I've been with my man since 2016 off and on, and we just had an anniversary. Since then I've been thinking about popping the question. I bought the ring last night at work since I work in a store with a jewelry counter and there was a ring I knew he'd like. I just never had the money for it. Until last night when I finally had enough money from a hairbow sale to buy the perfect ring. It's made of stainless steel with a blue inside and blue inlay. It's also thin and I think it won't snag on anything while he's working (he works in a restaurant). I've only ever read about women proposing in books, and this is completely new territory. But since I also finally got my driving permit after 25 years and have a shot of getting my license, and the proverbial ball of our life is now finally rolling, I want to move into his apartment with him as his fiancée or better yet, his wife. But due to the pandemic, the wife part may have to wait a bit. Which I'm completely alright with. Now the hard part, I have no idea how to ask a man to marry me. I know he likes sports but all of the things sports related we could go to are closed. And he's also kinda shy. Which is absolutely adorable. I was planning on proposing on his birthday in 3 weeks in July, and I got a framed plaque of the Pittsburg Penguins' (his favorite hockey team) their Stanley Cup championship wins. I know I want to make sure he's comfortable and not overwhelmed. So I have bounced around ideas to myself to keep it private. But nothing seems right in my mind. I'm wondering if anyone might have an ideas on a good proposal, fire away.

You're a brave girl, that's good.

If this man loves you (and I bet he does), the way you propose is not that important, he will accept you anyway. It sounds more like a way to make it something epic so you both will remember it forever. I believe men and women aren't so different but it's mainly about personal preference, so I will just share mine.

I like the idea of proposing in a special date, but I think the annivesary is better than the birthday. Typically people have many birthday memories, and they are often not related with their spouse. While I bet he will always remember this day it's better if you choose a more romantic occasion and not a day he typically shared with friends and relatives. I think Saint Valentine's or the relationship anniversary are better choices.

If you have a chance to meet him irl either go to his house, or invite him to yours, and make sure you two are alone. Cook a tasty romantic dinner, and propose after the desert... It's classy but beautiful in my opinion.
    Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

Go for it!
      Naturally I would encourage you, because I did the same myself.
      Mine was very low key, done at a distance and was completely impromptu.
      I had been browsing through Pinterest when I saw a quote that resonated with me. I'd debated proposing to him before we even met. I also considered doing it on our first visit, but didn't. In the end I proposed a week after our first visit. I sent him the quote, the proposal, and the clarifications just before I went to bed, so I could wake up to an answer. Of course, it didn't happen that way, because I took him by surprise. So he needed time to process and decide.
      I then proceeded to get mad at him because he was playing it cool like nothing had happened, and I couldn't handle the suspense. I told him that I needed a timeframe for a response, and he said he'd have an answer within 2 days. When he said that I calmed completely, as to me that felt like an acceptance. He did accept, and in his usual style he sent me a song with it. I now plan to walk down the aisle to that song, despite it being metal.

In my case it was completely incidental. I had looked up suggestions and ideas on proposals, but none of them fit us. Though I will admit that his response with that song was what made it, not what I did.
      Last edited by Atlantic Crossroads; July 2, 2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X