Exciting News!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exciting News!

So my mom and I were talking last night...

...and she offered me the diamond from her engagement ring for Penn and me to use in mine! Woo! It's a bit smaller than a half carat, round, and I don't know the clarity, but it's very nice.

She would have offered the setting as well, but she knows I don't like yellow gold, and it's a little too high for my tastes. It's also too big, but that's an easy fix.

That and a pair of diamond earrings that I inherited (my great-grandmother bequeathed individual diamonds from a necklace to all of the living female family members at the time) means we could get a nice three-stone setting, and it would be pretty darn cheap, since we wouldn't have to pay for stones.

This is also a big deal for me, because I feel like using heirloom diamonds makes it more special. Additionally, it means we wouldn't have to support unethical diamond mining practices. (This is more of an issue for me than Penn--his degree is in mine engineering, and he works in the mining technology industry--but even so, he doesn't like the idea of blood diamonds, or what some of the biggest diamond corporations are doing with their quarry)

Hooray! Now I just need to tell Penn--he's been away at a conference all week, so we haven't really been able to talk.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Yay! How awesome is that? Heirloom rings are so romantic to me...passing along from generation to generation

Comment

That is wonderful news!!!!!

Comment

Awesome news!!!
        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Aww yay, that's really sweet

Comment

Oh that's so lovely! I'm sure he'll find that exciting as well!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

That's great!!! We're going to do the same thing with a pair of earrings my aunt has given to me. I really don't think I'd have a diamond ring if it weren't an heirloom.

Now is the fun part- researching the design you want!

Comment

That is awesome!!

Comment

What a mom! that is so sweet and it will make it so special to be wearing your family's history into your own family's future.

Everything I know, and anywhere I go, It gets hard but it won't take away my love,
                  And when the last one falls, when it's all said and done, It gets hard but it won't take away my love

sigpic

Me without Him is like Son of Beast without the loop.

Comment

Awesome! Heirloom rings have a lot of meaning behind them. Thats why I love them!

Comment

Working...
                    X