From Co-Habitation to Marriage - Why? An Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Co-Habitation to Marriage - Why? An Article

Zephii posted an interesting thread yesterday, about why to get married - and I found this article that coincides. I thought you'd fine it interesting. Enjoy!

https://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/11/1...ex.html?hpt=C2

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Thanks for sharing. I really liked this quote from the article:
    Chemistry gets you started, but commitment is the contract, the major handshake. Communication keeps the field clear afterward.

Comment

Thanks, that was a good read. I think this sums up how I feel:
      "Waiting until the honeymoon stage passes gives you the opportunity to see what's underneath the unrealistic, romantic glow or veneer of the relationship."
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

That was definitely thought provoking, as was Zephii's thread. I definitely liked the part about waiting until the "honeymoon stage" is over. Of course it seems like you'll be together forever when the relationship is shiny and new...but when it's worn and the cracks are there, if you can love it all the more, then I'd say you're in a good place. It's like a wooden table--it's beautiful when it's shiny and new, but if you can still see the beauty with the marks of age (knife marks, stains, rubbed raw from use), then you've really got something great.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

I liked reading it as well, and that was a nice quote I plan on living with my future partner before marriage anyway because you can get along great with someone but not get along with them when you live together in the same house!

Comment

Originally posted by Zephii View Post
            Thanks, that was a good read. I think this sums up how I feel:
            I thought it was spot on, myself. One thing I can say safely is that, for M and I, the honeymoon period is already over, and one thing I enjoy is knowing that things only have gotten better from there on out.

Comment

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
              It's like a wooden table--it's beautiful when it's shiny and new, but if you can still see the beauty with the marks of age (knife marks, stains, rubbed raw from use), then you've really got something great.
              Woooaahh. Your table has knife marks? <kidding>

But I agree. I love the post-honeymoon relationship. I love seeing how we handle difficult situations or work through any problems that come up. And I love the comfort of it, knowing that I always have someone to turn to who will share my joys, frustrations, etc.

Comment

That was a great article and it made me overthink my opinion towards marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleLove View Post
                  That was a great article and it made me overthink my opinion towards marriage.
                  I don't think a person can overthink a decision that can affect the rest of your life. Just remember - wait and no can easily go to yes, but yes to no is much, much harder.

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                    I don't think a person can overthink a decision that can affect the rest of your life. Just remember - wait and no can easily go to yes, but yes to no is much, much harder.
                    No I didn't mean it that way. Maybe you read my post in the "Does it really matter that much"-Thread, where I said that marriage only is a piece of paper.
                    But this article showed me that it also mean a stronger comittment than just a normal realtionship and I think it's nice to think about being committed forever to each other. I don't know how to explain it. I'm that negative about it anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleLove View Post
                      No I didn't mean it that way. Maybe you read my post in the "Does it really matter that much"-Thread, where I said that marriage only is a piece of paper.
                      But this article showed me that it also mean a stronger comittment than just a normal realtionship and I think it's nice to think about being committed forever to each other. I don't know how to explain it. I'm that negative about it anymore
                      Baw, you're not so negative. *hugs* No worries mate, it's something worth chewing over eh? Just don't take too big of a bite

Comment

Working...
                      X