Engaged without a ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engaged without a ring

What do you think about being engaged without a ring?

My S.O. and I decided it would be more convenient price-wise to purchase the ring he wants to get me, after he comes back from Basic Training. Which at most I would have my ring a week before the actual wedding.

Although we decided we'll announce our engagement on Facebook our next visit, and probably do our registry the one after that. Because that's when it's convenient for us to get it done before he goes to Basic Training for the Army.

Is that strange to you? Do you know people who have been engaged without a ring? Stories?

I don't find it strange at all! A ring isn't what makes the promise, or the marriage, and know three different married couples who have never worn rings. Engagement and wedding rings are actually a fairly new trend, and in the US wedding bands didn't even become popular until around WWII. If I were you, I would consider getting a very ornate or blingy band since you won't have a traditional ring for the majority of your engagement, but really you can do whatever you want!

Comment

As you travel through your engagement, you will find some people - usually more materialistic people - who say you can't have an engagement without a hunk of metal and mineral. Often these people aren't as secure in a relationship and feel only outward signs are indicative of a strong relationship. You'll have to deal with those sort of busybodies. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself - and accept that some people don't want a logical explanation like you're saving for a house or your wedding or whatever. Some people you'll never please. *rolls eyes and smiles*

I myself have no problem with no ring. In fact, I told my SO if he wanted to to propose without one - we certainly have enough monetary needs on our plate with an international LDR. Do what's right for you both and what you're at peace with in your heart.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

For me it's not like I have a problem with that but I would like to at least wear some cheap ring if anything just so I could actually show people a ring on my finger but that's just me haha but it's really a personal choice and if you don't mind wearing a ring then I don't see a problem with that!

Madly in love with Michael

Comment

My ex husband proposed with one of those braided thread rings from a gum ball machine. I didn't upgrade until like 5 years into our marriage. There is certainly nothing wrong with being engaged without a ring! Anyone that gives you trouble isn't worth your time anyway, imo! Being engaged is about the most important thing, the promise. The ring is just icing me thinks.

Comment

I have to say that this question brought something up in me that I did not know was there. I have always considered myself fairly down to earth, non-materialistic, and quite frugal. But if my SO proposed to me without a ring I think I'd have a fit. haha. I'd be happy to give him a ring I already have, and he use that as my engagement ring. But dammit... I need a ring!

I certainly don't see anything wrong with not having one. Just, in my situation I would be a little upset

Comment

I think, that as long as it's what you and your SO wanna do, it's awesome.
              congratulations in advance!

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far guys!

It's interesting to see what everyone's opinion is on this.

Comment

I told my SO that I don't care if he proposes without a ring, so we can go pick together. The materalistic side of me did tell him to make sure he had the money to get the ring like straight after he proposed though, because I didn't want to be waiting forever to get a ring. As we are young, we are going to have enough trouble having people take us seriously without adding to it by not having a ring. Plus I don't want a super long engagement (2 years because we are planning it in another town to where we live) so $$$ would just be hectic if we had to save up for a ring then save up for a wedding.

Anyway, he has told me he wants to propose with the ring so we are looking for styles at the moment and I'm pretty confident he knows what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                    I have to say that this question brought something up in me that I did not know was there. I have always considered myself fairly down to earth, non-materialistic, and quite frugal. But if my SO proposed to me without a ring I think I'd have a fit. haha. I'd be happy to give him a ring I already have, and he use that as my engagement ring. But dammit... I need a ring!

I certainly don't see anything wrong with not having one. Just, in my situation I would be a little upset
                    I certainly have to agree! I didnt like to think of myself as materialistic but I'm so glad my SO proposed with a ring!

To be honest if he hadnt, and explained why I would understand, but I'd still be a lil upset that he didnt at least do something goofy like use a plastic or gummy ring.

Even though it is of course about the promise, I like the fact that the ring symbolises it.
                    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

lol, my parents were engaged without a ring ^^ Mom never got an engagement ring ^^; So I didn't actually know that some women wear both their wedding and engagement ring on the same finger cause Mom never had one ^^;

Comment

I am so far from being materialistic....but I love my ring. I love that my SO picked it out all on his own..with NO help from me...and to me it symbolizes that bond/promise.

With that said...

Each couple is unique. If between the two of you this is what works..then AWESOME!

But I will tell you...as soon as people hear you are engaged...the question will be...."oooh I wanna see the ring"...so have an answer ready!!
                        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Just tell people you got engagement tattoos, but it's not appropriate for you to show them where it is.

I personally would want a ring, but an engagement and marriage are like the most personal thing in the world. Do what makes you happy.

Comment

I'd want a ring, but it doesn't have to be anything really crazy expensive or flashy. I'm not materialistic at all, but I'd at least want a ring just because it's symbolic. I've been wearing my class ring on my left ring finger since my SO and I started dating. I usually don't wear it when he's home, but I do when he's away just because it makes me think of him lol and I somehow think it'll alert people that I'm taken. xD (I don't know why it reminds me of him...lol I guess I think of it as a promise ring in a sense.)

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

I'm not a materialistic person generally, but I think having the ring there adds something to the experience. It was how I knew he was actually serious and not just messing with me. But then, we're quite odd in the fact we never discussed marriage or engagement.
                              I think it's also important to understand the symbolism behind the ring. Because I'm big on symbolism.

However, if Obi had asked me without a ring, I wouldn't have minded, I'd have said yes anyway. I think if you're fine with it, to hell with what everyone else thinks!
                              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
                              X