Lets talk receptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets talk receptions!

There are plenty of people here planning weddings I see... so I thought we could all share our reception ideas and questions here.

Do you have an idea where you want your reception? How much is that likely to cost you? Are you having a traditional cake, cupcakes or something else entirely? Smoke machine, lazer lights, DJ? Games?
    Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

I want a small ceremony and a big, huge reception with all my crazy family and friends! I'll need a big dance floor and lots of booze

Music-- figure I'll just put in an MP3 player and let it go.
    Cake-- regular cake. A tasty one.

-->I've also thought about having 2 ceremonies and receptions if me and my SO get hitched. I'd do one in my country, one in his. That way no one gets left out, and I'd get to wear my dress twice

Comment

Oh man, my SO is such a detailed shit for organizing and setting up that I live in fear of imagining just yet for us... lol!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

No no no...don't let me get into my reception talk...lol remember me and the rainbow wedding?!
        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

I'm still wanting to see photos of the rainbow fu-fu wedding lol

Comment

Agreed - show us photos!

Comment

I third the request to see the rainbow wedding pictures!

For my wedding and reception, we have a pretty modest budget. Therefore, we're having both the wedding and the reception in the same room! We're having it in a small chapel directly next door to where I attend church services. Thankfully, we only had to pay once to use the building for the ceremony, so using the facilities will cost $200 total.

Since we're planning to have a pretty small wedding (say 75 to 100 attending max), we're hoping to pull this off where we set up most of the tables and stuff toward the back of the room and have the seats set up near the front for the ceremony. Afterwards, we'll tear down those seats and put them with the tables, and we'll just re-use any ceremony flowers at the reception as well.

We're having a three-tier cake (well, the very bottom is a frosted Styrofoam dummy layer - shhh! don't tell! - it's just to add to the visual appeal) and a small sheet cake as well. The second layer of the three-tier will be dairy-free since my SO has a histamine dairy reaction.

For music, we'll have tech at the church play our iPod playlist over the sound system and play a photo slideshow for us before the ceremony begins.

Fun thread, Zephii! Can't wait to see the other contributions!
              My heart belongs to a pilot!
              ~*~
              ~*~
              [/center]

Comment

Fake cake! That's a fantastic idea!!!!

Comment

I also want to see these rainbow pictures!

But Zephii-- no way! Fake cake?? NOT great idea. I love cake...

Comment

Not all the layers are fake - just the bottom one. The first two tiers (and the sheet) are all real. It's just crazy how much a difference it makes to have that one dummy layer. It's at least $100 different in price AND if it were actually three tiers, we would have to have the bakery deliver it instead of being able to pick it up ourselves. With the dummy layer, we get the look we want AND we don't have to pay for delivery either.
                    ~*~
                    ~*~
                    [/center]

Comment

I have no doubt it's crazy expensive to add just one tier of cake! I think it's totally awesome you found a way around it!

But.. my inner core... just can't handle... the thought... of... fake... cake... noooooooooooooooooo

Cake Lover should have been my SN haha!

Comment

Haha Ok Ok...I PROMISE my next day off...Monday..I will dig out the wedding album...goodness that was 20 years ago...!!!!!! Someone better remind me though!
                        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by lucybelle View Post
                          But.. my inner core... just can't handle... the thought... of... fake... cake... noooooooooooooooooo
                          I hear you on that! It just seems wrong somehow to still pay (a greatly reduced fee) for Styrofoam and fondant. I want to eaaaaaat it...
                          ~*~
                          ~*~
                          [/center]

Comment

oh lord...my secret obsession show is "My Fair Wedding" with David Tutera and I am OBSESSED with his receptions...but i still have no idea where to begin XD

Comment

Originally posted by Karringtyn View Post
                              Haha Ok Ok...I PROMISE my next day off...Monday..I will dig out the wedding album...goodness that was 20 years ago...!!!!!! Someone better remind me though!
                              Oh trust me, a few of us will remember!

Comment

Working...
                              X