Wedding planning opinions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding planning opinions!

So my fiancee and I have been beginning to plan our wedding which will take place in April 2013.
    Her friends keep saying "oh u got lots of time, its 2 years away".. but to me, 2 years isn't that far away!!
    I've been realising just how much weddings cost...and how much I will have to save to afford it. I'm hoping her parents will pitch in a bit-- but im not sure how "normal" that is now-a-days when it comes to weddings.

In your opinion, do you think wedding planning should take place this far ahead, or should you just wait until the year before and hope for the best?

at least financial planning is always best I think your tastes might change by then but at least you will have money put aside ^-^
    "taim i ngrá leat mo anam chara <3"

Kitten: -laces fingers together- our souls are one <3
    Keith: -blushes and gazes at lovingly- forever and always <3

Comment

Financially start planning..but in my opinion,...weddings are very stressful...the planning of them involves sooo much. I wouldn't start planning too much right now...focus on the two of you saving the money...closing the distance (SOOON!) and loving life...
      NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

As far as the money, you need to start saving RIGHT NOW! As far as actually planning (dress, reception, vendors) that can wait til 1 year out.

When we love, it isn't because the person's perfect, it's because we learn to see an imperfect person perfectly.

True love does not worry about the distance between, for the heart and soul travels through one's words

When two people are meant for each other, no time is too long, no distance is too far, and no one can ever tear them apart.

1 universe, 9 planets, 7 continents, 194 countries, 50 states and 10 provinces...and I had the privilege to meet you.

Comment

Totally agreed, 12-14 months to begin the planning - depending on how much time you have free to plan.

But it's never to early to start saving, weddings rack up for an average wedding around 100 guests I'd say your looking at $20k. That's a total ballpark and will depend on size, what kind of wedding you want etc but for that sort of figure it's never too early too start putting money aside.
          Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

I agree with everyone else: start saving but don't actually start planning until a year from now

Congrats btw

Comment

It's hard to plan until you have the exact date and can book things, because you don't know for sure that you'll get the place you want. Some places will let you book years in advance while others want one year in advance.

Good to know it's April though. I need a lot of time to save for plane tickets. (I think I just invited myself to your wedding)
              Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

I think the more time you have the better off you will be come your wedding day. As a Wedding photograper, someone who has been married once before and is engaged and planning my own wedding I think this is the right time to come up with a budget and doing your homework. Compare peoples work and prices and if you find someone put down deposits. It helps to know who you are booking to know what kind of funds your going do need. Although 2 years seems like a long way off it's gonna fly by and you will be glad you started the process early...

Comment

I was engaged for two years to my ex, and let me tell you, two years does not seem like a long time, but it is and so much changes. I made the mistake of starting right away, and I can't tell you how many times we changed our mind (thus I had to replan more than once), and then our friendships shifted and we were stuck wondering how to deal with flaky, not-very-close-to-us-anymore wedding party. We never had to deal with any of those issues, however, since I realized that he was an emotional abusive arse who would never change, and met my now-husband a short time later. But I digress. I would focus on the basic vision and financial planning, but leave the real planning and details to a year before. It's never too soon to start saving, but it can be too soon to start planning.

Comment

Thanks for all your help!! We've been just basically looking around and comparing prices for things. We know WHERE we want to have it now, which is good..and we've basically set out our budget so we know what we have to save and plan for.. but we are just looking at all the fun things for now. And don't worry Zeph, your already on the list good thing it will be in BC!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mizpah View Post
                      I was engaged for two years to my ex, and let me tell you, two years does not seem like a long time, but it is and so much changes. I made the mistake of starting right away, and I can't tell you how many times we changed our mind (thus I had to replan more than once), and then our friendships shifted and we were stuck wondering how to deal with flaky, not-very-close-to-us-anymore wedding party. We never had to deal with any of those issues, however, since I realized that he was an emotional abusive arse who would never change, and met my now-husband a short time later. But I digress. I would focus on the basic vision and financial planning, but leave the real planning and details to a year before. It's never too soon to start saving, but it can be too soon to start planning.
                      High 5.

Yes Yes Yes...agree on all.
                      NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

I think you've got the right idea Ryan- get your budget in order and start saving now. Work on the assumption that you won't get financial help from family- that way, if you do get it, it's a nice bonus and won't leave you in a tight spot if it doesn't happen. And just have fun with it for now- planning a wedding is stressful, but it's also lots of fun looking at things, talking them over, deciding what you like. The time you have gives you the liberty to take a very relaxed approach at this stage and just enjoy checking things out and getting ideas without the pressure to make decisions.

We had about 9 months from the time we started planning in May '10 until our wedding last month, and I thought it sounded like plenty of time, but it did all go very quickly! We were in a bit of a hurry at the end to get the last few things in order, but it did all come together in the last few days
                        We collided and fell out of nothingness... scattering stars like dust

Comment

Originally posted by RyanJr View Post
                          Thanks for all your help!! We've been just basically looking around and comparing prices for things. We know WHERE we want to have it now, which is good..and we've basically set out our budget so we know what we have to save and plan for.. but we are just looking at all the fun things for now. And don't worry Zeph, your already on the list good thing it will be in BC!!
                          The other thing to consider though is that rates can change, your mind can change, you or circumstances change. I think it's great you have an idea, but I would encourage you to not set your heart on anything immediately other than enjoying and celebrating your love. Let yourself enjoy being engaged for a bit. That way you can make sure the money you're saving will match the wedding of your dreams.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Oh! And there's a book called Bridal Bargains that I'd recommend you get - GREAT book, and the only one worth buying for savings tips imo.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

lol i guess i should look into purchasing that book for michelle eh? :P
                              and Yes, i totally understand what your saying about rates.. they will change and more then likely go up lol

Comment

Working...
                              X