Traditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditions

Tradition and weddings seem to go hand-in-hand. Many are ridiculous, but followed to the T, some are different in the sense of it being from one or both partner's culture, and others are completely unique. My husband and I, when planning a wedding instead of the elopement we opted to have, fell somewhere in all three. Mainly in the third section however.

For example, we planned...
    ...to have my father walk me partly down the aisle, and Aaron would meet us and take me the rest of the way to symbolize the journey I have taken.
    ...to have the Apache wedding blessing because of my Native American ancestry, and how much my mother and I have always loved it.
    ...to have a ring-warming because community is important to us.

So on and so forth. We were planning a pretty unique wedding where we chose what to keep, cut, and personalize and it would have been a blast. I am so glad that we chose to elope, however It turned out beautifully and was so "us." Between us, during our personal ceremony, we held our rings on their ring disc (no pillow for us!) so it was kind of like having a little ring-warming, and while we didn't get to the Apache blessing as part of our legal or personal ceremony, I am ordering the cross-stitch version to hang in our home once I complete the project.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What traditions are you planning to incorporate in your wedding or life someday? Why are they important to you/your partner?
    Last edited by Mizpah; April 26, 2011, 12:26 PM. Reason: Realized the wording was a bit confusing...

Every Christmas eve we turn our beds around and sleep backwards in them so we can see out the window to see Santa. My Dad and uncle used to do it when they were little and I've done it my whole life. I still do it out of tradition, Its fun to do it with my family. I fully plan on doing it this christmas when I'm with my SO.

Comment

Our actual wedding ceremony will definitely be very small. I passionately dislike large audiences. >:/
      My dad says I can't get married if he doesn't get to walk me down the aisle, so that will happen. And even though it is most likely we won't have our wedding here, at some point in time he will have to serve tea to my parents and grandmas (the elders).
      He's making wearing rings compulsory, despite my dislike for them because of my very large and unusually shaped fingers.
      That's all I think. (:

Comment

For the wedding:
        - We won't be sleeping together the night before- the next time he will see me I will be in my dress at the "alter" which we won't have lol
        -It will be a secular, civil ceremony and we will write our own vows
        -We will both wear our wedding bands always <3

For life:
        - One of my Easter traditions is to go "egg-rolling"- we may not be able to do it on the hill my family always goes to, but we will find a hill somewhere!
        - Sunday Dinner- every Sunday my family has a huge roast dinner, I want to start doing that maybe once a month when it's just me and my SO (making all that food for 2 people seems wasteful to me), but once we start a family, I see becoming a weekly thing

I'm sure we'll come up with more traditions once our life together starts

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
        <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
        The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
        <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
        <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
        Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
        Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

IF I ever get married (not likely haha) there will be NO formality whatsoever. Our vowels will be stupid and funny and full of swearing, there will be no aisle or father walking me down (I hate the whole father-ownership crap, no one is giving me away OR taking me in!). It'll probably be on a stage in a pub surrounded by all our mates, there will be a giant cake, a big BBQ, heaps of booze and after we sign the papers a metal band will start up and there will be an epic gig.

Yep. Not traditional at all :P

Comment

Originally posted by MadMolly View Post
            IF I ever get married (not likely haha) there will be NO formality whatsoever. Our vowels will be stupid and funny and full of swearing
            Actually I thoroughly upset my SO this week, he says to make up for it, one of my vows has to be:

"I promise not to convince you that you have a colony of spiders living in your ear. again."

;_; so much for a nice wedding

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
            <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
            The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
            <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
            <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
            Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
            Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMolly View Post
              IF I ever get married (not likely haha) there will be NO formality whatsoever. Our vowels will be stupid and funny and full of swearing, there will be no aisle or father walking me down (I hate the whole father-ownership crap, no one is giving me away OR taking me in!). It'll probably be on a stage in a pub surrounded by all our mates, there will be a giant cake, a big BBQ, heaps of booze and after we sign the papers a metal band will start up and there will be an epic gig.

Yep. Not traditional at all :P
              Can I come?

Comment

Nicole, that's classic!

Molly, I'm gatecrashing.

I'm too lazy to write mine right now, I'll come back lol
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Aw, well we've been all mushy lately so even though our wedding (and engagement! ) still won't be for quite a while, we've been talking about it lots.

I think ours are just little details, like not having a religious ceremony, making our own favours for guests and having a 'trash the dress' event.

Comment

Never really thought about anything else, except: I'm definitely being tooth fairy and Santa to my future kids. It was so damn amazing to me as a kid when my parents did it for so long, and I'd think it would be fun to be the one doing it. As far as wedding, I really dislike the idea of my cultural wedding tradition(Chinese)-about how it has to always be at the home of the groom. Smells too much of sexism. >_>

Comment

My SO told me one of the tradtion/tricks that his father would play on him easter morning, they've always had dogs growing up so his dad would wake up early and rile up the dogs so that they start barking, he would then let them out and yell "fetch the easter bunny!" apparently my SO when he was about 5 or 6 started yelling and crying for them not to kill the easter bunny.

I thought that was absolutely hilarious and we plan to do that with our kids if and when we have any. ^^

Notes:
                      Met: 8.17.09
                      Started Dating: 8.20.09
                      First Met: 10.2.10
                      Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I know of two traditions we'll definitely be including in our life/future family (at least I hope we do!):

Chak-Chak - Aaron's Greek grandparents have this Easter tradition of having one dyed red egg for each member of the family. At dinner, each person takes turns hitting their egg on the egg of the person next to them. The person who's egg comes out unbroken is supposed to get a year's luck/blessing. Aaron won this year

Stealing Sugar - My mamaw who passed away last year had this thing about "stealing sugar," from us grandkids, which meant she kissed us on the cheeks until all our "sugar" was gone. It became a family thing. I got to meet my little niece over Easter week, and I stole all her sugar

Comment

Considering the long distance thing, if my SO and I were to get married, I think we would have a tiny wedding, just him and me. Then we would have two receptions - one here in Canada with my family, and one in the US with his family.

Comment

I think I would like to include a ring warming, because family is very important to me.
                            We have also discussed skipping the tradition of not seeing each other on the day until we get to the alter.
                            I have seen lots of beautiful photos of the bride and groom getting their first glimpse before the wedding ceremony - it's all about them, its personal, and sweet.
                            Also, that way you can have all your formal photos taken before the wedding, so your guests aren't waiting around for you (that's probably what i hate about weddings the most).

Comment

My SO and I were actually discussing this the other night. We were talking about how long we should wait before getting engaged. I told him he would score big points if he asked my parents first. His response was that he's big into tradition so he already planned on it. He's also going to try to surprise me when he asks me to marry him. Knowing him, it'll be something big and super sweet. I definitely want him involved in planning the wedding because it's not only my big day, it's his too. Also, he doesn't get to go dress shopping with me or see me on our wedding day before I walk down the aisle on my daddy's arm. We'll have our first dance to our song "Bless the Broken Road." Beyond that, I'm really not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X