A wedding with family in different parts of the country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wedding with family in different parts of the country

my bf and I have discussed getting married (no proposal yet) and I can't help but think about many things. this time I'm wondering about if we get married where do we get married? his family is in Texas and mine is up north. could we have 2 ceremonies? do people even do this? the reason I ask is if the time comes and we're engaged I want to have some clue as to how to solve this problem. Thanks!

My cousin met her husband in Australia and got married there then came back and had a wedding in a hall and a reception back in Canada after. I think it's very common when it is hard to get everyone in one place. I will have this problem if me and my SO get married, his fam is in uk and mine in Canada.

Comment

We are having a legal ceremony in America (visa requirements and all), then the family my SO actually cares about are coming to England, where we are having our Big ceremony with my family- this sort of thing (2 ceremonies) is actually more common then you would think! lot's of people get married for financial reasons then have a big one planned later when they can save, some people like you have family all over the place and do the same thing.

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Not engaged, but I imagine if my SO and I do get married we would do the same thing (my fam in USA his in Costa Rica). Have two receptions. I mean I would look forward to twice the party!

Comment

My husband and I got married in Minnesota due to time constraints. Next year we plan on having a bigger ceremony (more like a party for family and friends) in my hometown in Missouri. I guess It something your SO have to talk about. Best of luck!
          " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
          Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

We're planning to have only one ceremony. He has a bigger family anyway, so it will be easier if only 'my guests' have to travel.
            We plan on telling them in advance and help them organizing the trip, so that they'll be able to make it.

Być tam, zawsze tam, gdzie Ty.

Comment

I will have this problem to, my family and friends here in the US and his in the UK. I think what we'll end up doing is have 2 celebrations, probably one big wedding, and then a smaller wedding maybe. hmm idk? Lol we'll have to officially plan later. Which is why I would like to be engaged for awhile, maybe a year, to full plan and get things ready.
              I love you Nathan <3
              sigpic
              5/25/09 <3

Comment

Yup it's really common. Many people were shocked that Obi and I aren't doing the two ceremony thing - and some tried hard to get us to change our mind
                If you want to do it twice, more power to you!
                Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Well for us, we're having ours in the UK because thats where all my family live. My SO's parents and siblings live in Canada and can fly over. Most of his family live in India and a few in Australia. So the plan is to just have one in the UK. He isnt close to the family in India as far as i know and we said we'd send them invites anyways incase they want to come. But his parents did say about paying for us to have some sort of indian style ceromoney when we move back to Canada but im not keen on that idea - but ive said id do it because there is no reason not to >.<

Comment

Its your wedding and you can totally do two ceremonies, receptions etc if you want to. Just bare in mind the cost of each adding up

Me and my Fiance are legally getting married and having the main ceremony and reception - full on wedding - in Colorado, USA. His family is bigger, its beautiful and its cheaper.

Then we're having a party in London for all my friends that couldnt make it. And my nan and aunt who wont be coming which I kind of wish we'd considered beforehand because I would've loved to have them there

But we are streaming the ceremony on-line! So at least my nan will get to see it
                    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

Comment

Well it is your wedding do what you want!

My SO and I are going to do the registration in the US with just the two of us plus a witness but then have our reception end of next year in NZ with all our friends and family

Visa's are a pain. :P

Comment

Yup a lot of people do 2 ceremonies!
                        My SO and I have talked about getting married as well, and having 2 ceremonies have definitely come up. If all goes well, we will have the matrimony and reception in my country, plus another reception in Iran so members of his family, relatives and friends can take part of it. When the wedding takes place here, only his brother and sister-in-law can come as family representatives because his father is ill and it's too expensive to get all members of his family to come here.
                        But yes, we have to inquire further about that. For example, I don't know whether it's a must to do another matrimony in Iran, and whether it's possible for not to automatically attain Iranian citizenship.

Comment

We even live in different continents and we have 2 very different cultures. So if we would afford this I would like the idea of have 2 weddings. A typical western one in my country with my family, our typical food.... And another in her island with her family, her traditional clothes and her traditions.

But it can be quite expensive so maybe we will need to wait much for it.
                          Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

Working...
                          X