Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress Drama - ready to cry

First I need a bit of a rant please.

RANT: I was looking for a dress 14 months before the wedding! 14 MONTHS!" But then my mum and sister made things really difficult. I really wanted to go dress shopping with them and I kept getting this blase "I dont care" attitude. My sister always had better things to do and if I so much as even uttered something that sounded like "But its my wedding...it means alot to me to have you there at my dress buying..." I got the Bridezilla word thrown at me along with "The world doesnt stop because your getting married"

Then originally there was a dress I really wanted to try on to start off with (Disney dress - didnt work in the end but still) and all I got from my mum was "I'm not travelling that far" "Why dont we go here (rubbish chavvy shop in Romford that nearly made me cry) faff faff faff that meant I didnt go for my first appointment until nearly 9 months out. And then because of general "life" stuff I'm now at 6 months and still have no dress!

So whenever I have a woman in a bridal shop saying "You need to make a decision very soon" I want to scream in her face "No shit sherlock - try telling my mother that 6 months ago!"

Ok...time to breath...just needed that out of my system - even though it still upsets me.

So I went shopping (again!) yesterday. I tried on a dress that I tried on with a friend before and loved. But its long. Not big and poofy, but long.

But I have my heart set on a tea-length dress. Not a particular dress - I just really want Tea length. They make me happy, look stunning on me, are a bit different and ultimately will be hugely comfortable on the day. Comfort is big for me. Its my wedding day - why should I be faffing with an uncomfortable dress all day?

But the long dress that I'm pretty certain I love could be made into a tea length dress. We tried holding it up, and getting an idea of what it would look like and I think it would look really great.

But I'm terrified of it coming back, having spent far too much money on one dress, I try it on and it turns out...I dont like it? I wont have enough time or money to reorder it and thats stress and upset that I will not need!

So I basically have three options:

!) Go for the dress I love in long. Its slipper satin and we can remove some of the netting that sets my teeth on edge and replace it with a hoop. That'll make it slightly less "faffy", wont have all that annoying material on my legs. It looks stunning and from what I can gleam from FI its the kind of thing he's always imagined me wearing walking down the aisle.

But I do worry about getting annoyed with the long dress half way through the wedding, or having a Keira Knightly in Pirates moment - fainting in my dress!

2) Go for the dress I love amended to tea length. I get the gorgeeous material and slimming design, in my desired length. We may have to have some alterations and think about the netting/hoop combo to keep it off my legs a bit and that could be "interesting". It could end up being my perfect dress....or it could go wrong and thats £2000 down the drain for a dress I dont love.

3) Keep looking for the "perfect" tea length dress. Except I dont really have time for this now (thanks again mum!) unless I end up paying loads extra for a rush fee.

Oh and as a final factor, the dress store in London that I visited didnt fill me with joy. The woman initially rushed me in and out of dresses faster than I could blink, didnt help me in and out of them and didnt listen to anything I said. I had a bit of a moment when I flashed a look at my mum about the woman that she clearly saw in the mirror. Such a shame because I've been to wonderful places where I really WANTED to give them by business and these guys just pissed me off.

*Sigh* Can I turn back time please?
    Tea and hugs make the world go round - don't ever discount the little things in life.

Smiling away to oneself brings an obscene amount of joy when only you know the reason why your smiling. Pick something secret to smile about and let it light up your face all day long!

And remember....Love really IS all around.

I think you should go for the tea length version! I don't know anything about dress shopping, but I do love Say Yes to the Dress What I learned from watching that is you just need to commit. Stop looking. You found something you love. You can get it in the length you want. Perfect. Why look more?

PS- can we see pictures??!!

Comment

Dress shopping was an absoulte nightmare, you have my sympathy. In the end I gave up and ordered the dress I really wanted but could never afford from one of those "chinese wholesalers" you find on the internet (the one in question is Dressilyme.com - my BMs are getting their dresses there too and I really reccomend them as long as you're not getting something with lace. They always bugger up their lace!).

Sometimes you have to take a risk though. If the only problem you have with the dress you've found is that it's too long - make it tea length! Don't settle. But if it's still not what you want, find what you want online, and then make phone calls to find out who has that dress. You can do a lot of serching alone without people there to piss you off.
      Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Working...
      X