This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which day should we pick?

So I have found our venue, It's beautiful and not too big, just the right size. But unfortunately, to have it on a Saturday in June is 2,700 GBP. Waaaaay too expensive for our budget! So my SO and I were set on having it on a Sunday as it is only 1,800 GBP and for a dual ceremony venue and reception venue, that comes off very reasonable. Buuuut I went to the wedding fair they had yesterday, and my dad tagged along, and he was asking why we wouldn't have it on a Friday instead? I said a Friday is 2,300 GBP and we didn't have an extra 500 GBP to spend. He straight up told me that he had every intention of paying for the venue, and we would pay for everything else, which is very, very generous of him. I am not spoiled at all btw, I didn't take him to extract money from him- I had a check written out of my own money to put down a deposit. But my dad would not let me book the venue yesterday, as he wants me to discuss the possibility of a Friday wedding with him.

Now I don't know what to do. I thought Sunday would be the best day, as most would have the time off (not that this matters- most British workers get 4 weeks payed days off standard), it's on a Sunday, so my SO's religious relatives can go to church and then go to my secular wedding, hopefully all churched-out. and it's cheaper. But then most people might leave early, as they'll have to work Monday, and public transport is a lot less frequent for people to use to get there.

Sooooo what I am asking is, irregardless of cost for now, as a guest, would you rather go to a ceremony on a Friday (bearing in mind most people have 4 weeks PDO here) or on a Sunday?
    Friday
    77.27%
    Sunday
    18.18%
    doesn't matter
    4.55%

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
    <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
    The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
    <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
    <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
    Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
    Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

I couldn't bring myself to vote either way as it seemed like such a hard choice. Probably just me being a girl though and over thinking it. Hmm, I think I'd go with Sunday although I don't think it'd matter either way if most people would have the day off, but I always think of Fridays as being busy days for most people. Sundays are slower days when people don't have much to do.

Comment

As a guest I'd probably prefer Friday for the same reasons that you've already listed. I wouldn't have to worry about going to work the next day and it'd be possible to sleep in the next day as well (which I love).

Comment

I think Friday would be the better of the two choices because people would be able to drink and stuff like that without worrying about work the next day. I think people would rather take the Friday off then a Monday because Fridays tend to be a little bit slower (at least for my SO). Also, your guests would still have the rest of the weekend to relax and do whatever they needed to without having to stress about work. Just my opinion.
        "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
        Made it official: September 17, 2010
        Got engaged: January 15, 2012
        Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
        Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
        Got married: November 21, 2012
        Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
        Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Friday. That way I would be able to stay late, enjoy myself and have a few drinks. I usually never stay late when I'm out on a Sunday.

Comment

I picked Friday.

3 day weekend and no need to get up for work with a hangover. Hope you have a wonderful day
            As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

Between sunday and friday I chose friday! However I think the perfect day is saturday

Comment

I would choose Friday. Unless it is like a brunch/lunch wedding...and then I would do Sunday.

Comment

I would choose sunday, it sounds more special (no working day) and cheaper. But why do your father want that in friday?
                  Why am I always trying the impossible?

Comment

I picked doesn't matter. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful! I wish I could but I saw your pros and cons and thought if I were a guest I'd be excited to go on either day, it's a wedding, who cares what day it is!! But then again I was reading the other's posts, and think if you plan on having alcohol at your wedding and want more people to enjoy themselves with a little drink and have it go late with dancing or whatever, Friday night's probably best. But if you want a casual day/evening where you can enjoy your family's company and celebrate your marriage I think either day is cool which makes Sunday awesome being so much cheaper. But if it's such a big thing with your dad and he is offering to pay for it, then you might as well do Friday I guess! So yeah, sorry if I couldn't be of much help, but I thought I'd put my two cents in and offer another opinion!

Comment

Thank you for all the perspectives guys I really appreciate it! Looks like the general consensus is Friday- which the more I think about it, makes more sense. The cheapest days to fly out to England are on Wednesdays, which is a perfect amount of time to get his family settled in, then they can go wherever they want to the following week or so. My dad wants a Friday so people can have a 3 day weekend and have a drink or two. Plus our public transport frequency is like halved on a Sunday so all out of town guests will have trouble getting there and back if they don't want to drive.

Just in the process of getting my SO to come round about accepting the help. I know how my dad gets when he has an idea in his head- it must be carried out or I think he will explode, so he's not going to drop it. He actually just tried to get me to call the place and book it on his credit card without telling my SO! I stopped him though! This is something we must make a decision about together. So surreal we might have a date be the end of the week!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
                      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
                      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
                      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
                      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
                      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
                      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Sunday in my opinion...more people can go and won't have to work...either way hope it goes great!
                        " Love don't run....Love don't hide...Love don't turn away or back down from a fight.
                        Baby I'm right here..and I and going anywhere"

Mitch and Stephanie July 14, 2011

Comment

Working...
                        X